Tire Repair ... Need Advice

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4sylvester

Reaction score
I just put my 18" rear wheel on my vmax with a metzler 180/55-18 marathon radial tire. With only 100 miles on the tire i picked up what looks like a staple. I pierced the tire and leaks. My local dealer told me they won't repair tires and all the manufacturers say never to repair a tire for any reason other than for the purpose of just getting home. It is very frustrating to think that a brand new $200 tire is trashed. Is it really that dangerous to plug a pin hole? I was planning on plugging from the outside and calling it a day. Is that a bad idea?

I've got the stop and go repair kit which uses a mushroom type plug to fill the hole. I have'nt mounted it back on yet but it was also a new tire when it was punctured. I've seen test reviews where they used the repaired tire for quite a few miles after repair so I am ambivalent whether to use it long term. Then again it's best not to take chances with tires. It's too bad Moto tires don't have any kind of road hazard insurance.

I'd rather spend another $200 and bite the bullet than be going down the road at 60-80 mph and have it fail.. but that's just me. When you have only 2 tires between you and the road although it sucks $200 is cheap compared to what could happen.

Done.. i just ordered a replacement. Talk about bad luck. Thanks for the opinions.

Unless the tire is damaged on the sidewall, I've had tires patched and have had no problems with them. But they need to be fixed properly, which involves removing the tire and putting a patch on the inside.

:punk: Hey, I agree, get a new tire. Now you won't have that problem hanging in the back of your mind all the time later, Spur

I say keep the old one on and enter a burnout contest where the prize is a new tire. You'll be the only guy there with 6,000 miles of rubber to go through!

I've had tires repaired and they need to repair it from inside placing a burm (SP) which is a patch that is glued and melted to the rubber. I also would run slime in the wheel that prevents leaks too. Had a screw blow out doing a dyno on my vmax one year and we used slime to get me home. Works like a champ! Anyhow, I agree with long term, replace the tire and not risk your life on it. $200 is cheaper than your life!

Just my 2 cents.

Latest posts

Back