Tire/Wobble questions

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gamorg02

Reaction score
I'd make this a poll but i'd probably need about 12 options or so.

Just curious who's running what FRONT tire and size and if they have a wobble or not.:ummm:

also include if you have done furbur fix (replaced or moved rubber washer) and anyother handling mods.

looking at 40-50 decel hands off bars wobbles, not sweepers or anything.

I have the 120 shinko and have the wobble. moved rubber washer and have frame braces.

No fix, just tightened the head/neck bearings like Danny was doing at the Brownie run. Had a small wobble with Dunlops, stock size, but I think it was due to the tire being worn and scalloped.

Stock Dunlops, Used the Furber (style) washer swap for the rubber and set my head bearings.

No issues. I DID have issues before that though, but at around 90mph

I've always ran the stock sized Dunlops. I snugged up the head bearing. I have no notable wobbling problems, except the smallest side to side dance at 30 - 40 mph. I probably have the head bearing the slightest too tight, but it's a small price to pay -vs- the possibility of a 140mph tank slapper.

I seem to be picking a slight decel wobble in handlebars when I take one had off the grip around 30 - 40 mph. Tire pressures ok, nothing done to the steering head bearings as of yet. I haven't been riding much the last week due to other priorities.:damn angry: I hope get a little time this weekend to check the steering head bearings and do some test runs.:clapping:
Tire info: Shinko's - Front 110 (3000+ miles)/ Rear 170 (5000+ miles)

120 shinko, sean's method (no furbur washer), no wobbles. Hope it stays that way.

Can you actually see runout in the front tire? Ever check the rear? Not sure how tight you made your steering stem bearings but maybe its as simple as not being tight enough. I know you are a torque it to spec kinda guy but this is something that you might be better off going by feel. Try loosening the top nut under the bars (chrome one) lower triple clamp bolts, and tighten both adjustment nuts (castellated)up at the same time. Tighten them up jut a bit too much (just a bit) and work the bars back n forth. Put the bike down on the ground and compress the forks a few times. Get it off the ground and check the bearings again. I set mine to the point that when the bars are dead center they will not fall to the stops one way or the other. They have to be pushed to initiate the fall, either way. When pushed to the right they actually wont go all the way to the stops because the cables keep that from happening. If I just touch them again they will go the rest of the way. I have a very slight bounce when pushed to the left.

I had a decel wobble that was pretty scary and this is what worked for me. I was running the stock excedras then and the problem did not reappear with the new shinkos.

Sorry if this is redundant. Two cents and all. LOL

And sorry if this makes no sense. As usual, I'm driving down the road looking at new work opportunites for our company. Road trip to State College, PA today. Air cards rule!

Hey Mike thanks for the info...

so far ur the ONLY person i know running a 120 shinko up front w/out a problem.

when the tire was on the balancer i saw the runout easily. also can see it if i look over the bars while riding it.. (not the safest. hah)

i had the rear re-balanced as well. it looked fine.. maybe a slight runout, didn't notice if there was one honestly, second one made the tech wonder, the other guy didnt' seem too concerend, but it wasn't his bike.

anyways, i did the same technique, mine is a little tighter than that if anything. i usually take the whole triple part off, its just as easy as i have a nice 27mm gearwrench.. i've never then tried compressing the forks tho.. something to try.

Hey Mike thanks for the info...

so far ur the ONLY person i know running a 120 shinko up front w/out a problem.

when the tire was on the balancer i saw the runout easily. also can see it if i look over the bars while riding it.. (not the safest. hah)

i had the rear re-balanced as well. it looked fine.. maybe a slight runout, didn't notice if there was one honestly, second one made the tech wonder, the other guy didnt' seem too concerend, but it wasn't his bike.

anyways, i did the same technique, mine is a little tighter than that if anything. i usually take the whole triple part off, its just as easy as i have a nice 27mm gearwrench.. i've never then tried compressing the forks tho.. something to try.

Hey Garrett,
You were asking about my Metzlers......I just did a nice ride this evening and did a 100-30 wobble check..........solid as a rock..........and the ride is so smooth this Old Battering Ram feels like it's being carried by a dozen dudes wearing brand new Nike's!!!! GGGGLLLLLLAAAAAAASSSSSSSS!!!!!!! Worth every penny............

I WAS running IRC tires, front and rear, and had the 45mph headshake. Replaced the front and rear with ME-880s and the problem went away.

i think my next front tire will be a me880 120. thanks for all the opinions guys! may still run a shinko in the back.. cant' beat that price! or maybe try me front and back for a round.

Pirelli Diablo 120/70 ZR 17. Furbur Fix. No wobble. Very solid.

gleno, which furbur fix? the aluminum washer or the rubber swap?

gleno, which furbur fix? the aluminum washer or the rubber swap?

I tried both and settled on the Aluminium washer.

By the way, a cause of front end wobble and other handling issues that I have not seen discussed anywhere on the forum is the alignment of the front forks. There is a good paper on front end alignment written by a BMW tech that I'll try and find then post on a separate thread.

If the axle, forks yokes etc aren't perfect you will get very poor handling. This is especially true on lighter stanchions like the pre '93 v-max forks

hey gleno i apprciate all your help on this. i have a TINY low speed weave, altho i may just be paranoid, no other max's to compare it to, and i also have a 48 mph wobble if i take my hands of the bars and i either hit an imperfection in the pavement or hit the bars....

'99 has a 110 Shinko, Progressive springs, 15 wt Silkolene fork oil.....Rock Solid at all speeds and conditions!

'06 has a 110 ME33 Lasertech, Racetech springs & emulators.....slight decel wobble on very rare occasions if road conditions are just right.

IMO the Metzler ME33 Lasertech front tire is an excellent choice for the v max, I will stay with it for the front and a ME880 Marathon out back...it's a good combination.

Back