To buy or not to buy?!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, thank you everyone for all of the responses. Based on all the feedback you guys gave, I eliminated most of the bikes I was looking at.

Just came across one more in the area that is an 85, and I cant decide whether or not I should jump on it. Any thoughts?

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/mcy/4273944314.html

Way too much money for an '85. While V-Max seem to be "just the same, there have been a lot of changes over the years. I would HIGHLY recommend you DO NOT buy a Pre '93. Personally, I would stay away from any bike that has engine mods, unless you know the rider and bike very well. And on top of that, for that kind of money, you could damn near get the '04

Way too much money for an '85. While V-Max seem to be "just the same, there have been a lot of changes over the years. I would HIGHLY recommend you DO NOT buy a Pre '93. Personally, I would stay away from any bike that has engine mods, unless you know the rider and bike very well. And on top of that, for that kind of money, you could damn near get the '04

I agree with this. That '85 looks cool, but it's pretty much all cosmetic stuff. That luggage rack looks cool, but that's about it. That is a way high price for a cut down seat and not too much else. Hell, in about a month you can buy the '86 that I'm fixing with busa brakes, freshly rebuilt carbs (by Danny), and '01 rotors on it for $2500 if it turns out to have a good motor in it.

Posted with my thumbs.

That "150 HP" engine might make that out of the bike on a dyno testbench, at the crank, but since the stock bike is rated at 145 HP for all years, while a Dynojet Stage 7 kit and a full exhaust w/a 4/1 will give you maybe 15 RWHP additional, if tuned properly, where a stock bike turns in the 110-119 RWHP range, getting to 125-130 RWHP is more like it. Even then, there are plenty of bikes kitted the same or similarly (a different 4/1, which gives > HP compared to a 4/2), which only turn ~120 RWHP and provide their owners w/a lot of fun for the $. Don't be 'hung-up' on the absolute HP #. Reliability is worth more than an unreliable bike which may make some higher HP #.

Period road tests have given results below 120 RWHP from the domestic magazines. My own dyno test for a stock 1992 was at the low end of my quoted figure/range. Since that time I have done COP's, UFO 4/1, full Dynojet Stage 7, PCW clutch kit/HD spring, but I haven't worried about a dyno test.

The 150 HP claimed isn't something you are going to see w/o extensive internal mods, or a generous spray of nitrous. Don't expect to buy it and be able to see that on a trip to a dyno is all I am saying.

Bottom-line, if the bike is in good shape and you like it, always offer less, and be prepared to walk if your reasonable offer isn't accepted, and there is no negotiation which results in a sale.

Does seem a bit high for an 85 but I see no reason why what can't be a good bike. I don't worry about the year of any Gen 1 vmax as there simply aren't enough reasons for one to be better then the other. The 85-92's can be easily upgraded to incredible brakes far exceeding that of the 93-07 oem brakes that is touted as one of the reasons to go that year range. The 98 and older all can be upgraded easily enough for the shift segment which is another weak spot. The 96 and newer are maybe slightly better overall for high end engine mods if you chose to go that route.

Of course if we sell a bike I don't try and sugar coat it. If you want specific mods we can provide it. If you want cheaper to do work yourself that can be done too. I'm sure however that there are nice enough bikes in your area. I think the two I have available right now are a 97 and a 98 (can't even remember the years lol).

The bike you are describing here sounds more like one of the newer 1800 Goldwings - if you really are that concerned with your wifes' "any distance" comfort. Refer to youtube videos of a guy named yellowwolf for proof of a gw's cornering and acceleration capabilities. Lol.

This is probably the best advice for what your asking about.

But honestly you know you want a Vmax. The wife wont be comfortable on the bike for anything more than 150 miles. But by yourself, its fun. Its not a long distance cruiser ( 100-120 miles to a tank ). They don't handle well compared to either bike you mentioned owning previously. It wont brake better than either bike you listed either. In fact its probably not as comfortable as either bike LOL. But it has its own mystique. Which makes it special. If you want power, comfort and something your wife would ride on, the 1800 GW is the way to go. Its just a little much for me to ride by myself for the type of hard riding I do. But if I get a second bike, I ll be looking at one just for my wifes sake.

Todd

Thanks for the responses guys. As a result, the 85 is off the table.

I am not really in a rush to buy another bike, so I may simply hold out until I can take a close look at the 2004 and offer him closer to 3500 or just wait for a better deal overall.

Unfortunately, for this venture, I am active duty military and currently enrolled in a very intense year long stint of advanced medical training. So, I don't have any time really to make a longer trip to pick one up or to customize. Patience may end up being the best choice, all-be-it the most frustrating.

I have owned two Maxes (95 and 97) and I ride with a group that includes three 97's (including mine), one 95, one 94, one 2002 and one 2006. By 2003 all upgrades had been made to the Max including a fix for the o-ring problem. I would go for the 2004 and if I was in the market for another Max I would only consider 2003 and up. Just my opinion.

Customized Creations just hit my thought. For what your original post asked, I'd say a Vmax ain't what your looking for. You might be better off with an FJR or Concourse. Good power with two up long range capability.
I'm Vmax crazy but pushing you into a Max with the parameters you mentioned would be a disservice to you.

I think I miss communicated then. I want the ability to put the wife on back and her be more comfortable than she currently is on my Triumph or was on my Buell 1125r. We aren't planning on doing a ton of touring and are both in our late 20's. I would like to option if necessary but judging by the fuel range I dont need her to be comfortable for more than an hour or two at most if I add on some type of extended fuel tank.

Ive done 375 miles one way with another seat (not the stock one) so another seat, either from Sean, or a Maxgasser is an easy enough fix.

IMHO...you arent supposed to be COMPLETELY comfortable on a motorcycle, its supposed to be a little bit of a test of wills, and when you get off, you FEEL like you've been on a bike.

Last edited:
Loved my Vmax but my wife says my FZ1 is more comfortable for her to ride on. Which I believe her since she has put more mile on the back of my FZ1 in one year then she did on my Vmax in the 7 years I owned it.

Beautiful bike in your signature.

As an owner of both the Vmax and the FZ1, and given my background in sport bikes, which would you recommend?

How would you compare the two bikes in general?

*laughing* Well said TraumaHawk.

I love my FZ1 . For crusing around town and being and looking Bad ass the Vmax is king. Out on the open road and the ridding I love to do the FZ1 is better and faster by far. I had a back surgery in 2008 and for some reason the suspension and seating position on the Vmax would make me very sore(or I would probably not have sold it.) I have ridden 400 miles in one day on my FZ1 an been fine the next day. If I was single I would own them both but seldom ride the Vmax sadly. But the Vmax is a great bike I think everybody should own one at some point in there life. good luck

Attachments

• 07 FZ1.jpg
    07 FZ1.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 22
I think I miss communicated then. I want the ability to put the wife on back and her be more comfortable than she currently is on my Triumph or was on my Buell 1125r. We aren't planning on doing a ton of touring and are both in our late 20's. I would like to option if necessary but judging by the fuel range I dont need her to be comfortable for more than an hour or two at most if I add on some type of extended fuel tank.
The wife and I are perfectly comfortable cruising on the vmax. Cut down seat, back rest, windshield, saddlebags, and a set of highway pegs are all good mods to make it an all day cruiser! We ride all over the State on it with no problems, and the fuel tank capacity is perfectly timed for the need to get off and stretch/potty break.

The wife and I are perfectly comfortable cruising on the vmax. Cut down seat, back rest, windshield, saddlebags, and a set of highway pegs are all good mods to make it an all day cruiser! We ride all over the State on it with no problems, and the fuel tank capacity is perfectly timed for the need to get off and stretch/potty break.

See thats the one thing I always hated about Vmaxes. The small tank. And the cure for a larger tank is more money than its worth for the small amount you get.

The busa would easily go 200+ miles on a tank, and when I got off it, there wasn't a need to stretch my legs or take a minute. I could sit on the bike, fuel and then just go. It was WAY more comfortable than the Vmax and I ve gone long miles on the Max ( 1000 miles in a day ).

Even my V65 Magna was more comfortable and got longer distances on a tank. Which honestly that might be something you should look at. The Magnas have plenty of power, comfort is better and long distance is better. Just the looks aren't better and its more refined feeling than the Vmax. Which is way the Vmax always appealed to me, its raw feeling.

Todd

Gas tank is timed good for a brake. For me as a rider the stock is a good seat. I have ran 700 miles in one day and could still ride the next day. If i remember right i think Toddler has gone 800 mile in one day. I did alot of 400 to 500 mile days and was still ok to ride the next day. Us hooligans from michigan ride 300 to 400 miles a day when we ride togather and most of us have stock seats that are in good shape. if you have a backrest on the vmax i dont see how the fz is better but to each his/her own. If i did it again i would buy a stock clean bike with 8000 to 10000 miles on it and change my exhaust to delkvic slip-ons. Good looking and good sounding exhaust and good price. also change the ugly turn signals and tail light. set it up with a shinko for drag racing and get a extra used rear wheel and put a metzler on it for hooligan riding. shinko has the best grip for the dragstrip and metzler spins the easiest for hooligan riding. Than i would go have fun with every hooligan vmaxer i could find. keep looking you will find a clean low milage bike soon.

I didn't have a back rest on my Vmax. I was actually surprised she liked the FZ1 ride better to be honest with you. It does not look like it would be better. I don't try to understand women's reasoning I just go with it..lol

If the miles are low like 8000 or so and its clean it would be a fair deal for that area at $5500 not a great deal just a faif deal.

Latest posts

Back