Too good to be true? JD tractor Craigslist

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redbone

Reaction score
This is the second JD tractor listing I've seen in the past week that seems to be too good to be true. I'm looking for a JD mower but something like this is what I really want...
http://up.craigslist.org/grq/3223843568.html

But don't really want to spend that much money right now, but if it's not a scam I'll be kicking myself for years about the one I missed!

Looks like a scam. I wouldn't trust it. Want a good john deere mower? Look for am old t 70's-80's they were built to last. My dad just picked up an 88 332 diesel with a cab and a dual stage snowblower for 1700 the snow blower is huge! Have to add 400lbs on the rear so it will pick it up all hydraulic hook ups to. I know someone that's been with john deere for over 30 yrs as a mechanic. He said and multiple farmers have told me the older john deere are built to last and run like champs. There hard to get a hold of because they don't last long forsale!

It's a scam.

The giveaway?

1. The ad is posted as one giant image, not text with craigslist's thumbnail images. This format tends to be common with dealers, but in legitimate cases also includes the dealer's name, contact info, and address.

2. The clincher. See all that unreadably small text at the bottom? Even on my 1920x1080 resolution screen it shows up as one pixel high. Many people think it's a glitch or just ignore it. But you can tell what it says. Highlight it, copy/past into notepad. It's a bunch of randomly generated characters intended to fool craigslist's anti-spam filters (that reject ads with no text, or text too similar to one already posted). It also has keywords that will float it to the top of the list for nearly any search category (many major car brands, tractor brands, quad models, motorcycle models, equipment names, ect).

So once again, "too good to be true"....it is.

Yep Scam. Saw an identical layout for a Volvo. Scam all the way.

I see the posting was removed? Too good to be true usually is. That's a nice machine though. I got my start as a mechanic at an International farm equipment dealer. When there were farms around here. I think that would have been a good deal back then.
Steve-o

I have a 1980's John Deere riding lawnmower given to me by a friend. If Hurricane Isaac wasn't throwing use bands of torrential tropical storms, I would already have been on it today. The JD is still going strong. Not much plastic on this thing, maybe the ends of the knobs? "Steel, baby!"

I saw the CL is gone.

Thanks for your comments and insight they have confirmed my suspicions. I looked around some more and a tractor like that should cost at minimum ~$4500- 5000 for a mediocre example. I'm looking in $500- 1000 range, for a mower and ball mount so I can work on some yard projects. I am developing my yard that once was a virgin forest, with many nice large oak, some maple, paper birch witha sprinkling of red pine, evergreen and even a white pine. I going have to cut about 25-30 of trees for my garage space but I'll plant some of the numbers back as my yard matures. My soil is very coarse sandy, some pit run 8-10 feet under ground and dry, so dry in fact after a hard rain the puddles that do form are gone within the hour!
Eventually I will want a tractor with the ability to add implements like a front loader, mid pto for a snow blower, and 3 point/ pto for tiller or maybe a brushog.
The garage I am planning is going to be 36x40x12 made out of some insulated product (Quad-Lock ICF or Raycor SIP) with in floor heating. I will be detailing it in a thread both here and on Garage Journal with pictures from tree clearing to the finished project. It will have a good bit of storage area with a dedicated shop to work on Redbone, FZ-1, and whatever other poject that wanders through the door.

MI residents love their 'pole barns!' Using SIP's should get it erected in a hurry and give you good insulation. R-40 in the roof and R-24 in the walls?

This is not a "pole barn" style building, the Quad lock is also the structual member. It's R38 from the footer 4' below grade up 12' above grade (16' total) to the rafters with the Quad-lock, 2" insulation under in-floor heated slab. I may go with R42 SIP roof panels or may go with batts and blown in cellulose either on top of sissor trusses, both will give plenty of clearance for a vehicle lift if I want in the future. I will sheetrock the interior, and run Hardiplank siding to color match to the house.
Oh, forgot to mention it is going to be free standing, have it's own bathroom, washer/ dryer (eventually), double utililty sink, hookups for data/ tv and did I mention lots of storage.:biglaugh:

Oh, forgot to mention it is going to be free standing, have it's own bathroom, washer/ dryer (eventually), double utililty sink, hookups for data/ tv and did I mention lots of storage.:biglaugh:

Sounds like a U.P. "Man-cave" Brian !! :rofl_200:

you woulda jumped on mine brian i bet! i had a mid 90s F525 with 48" mower, bagger and snowblower i ended up selling for a little over 1k.

Back