Trip to Koyote Ranch in South Texas

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

texas-ss-tornado

Reaction score
Going to ride the 3 sisters for the first time this coming weekend, heading down to Texas hill country for the annual MOOT forum get together (Magna Owners of Texas)! This is the first year I've been able to go, simply because I'm unemployed and don't have to worry about coming home, then immediately taking 2 or 3 more weeks off to go to Kentucky for the annual family reunion around the July 4th holiday! Taking the B-King of course, going to show those Magna boys a thing or two! LOL! Seriously, I'm looking for some serious rest and relaxation, I've been beat down by the job situation, and this was the perfect event to get away from it all, enjoy some kick-a$$ roads and scenery, and clear my head for a spell. Medina is about a 350 miles from where I'm at, leaving out tomorrow morning at 6:00 a.m., unless it's raining! Will check in with ya'll when I get back, going to be a GREAT little vacation!!! For those that don't know about the "3 sisters", here's some info, supposed to be about the best riding spot there is in Texas!
beer.gif

The Three Sisters/AKA Twisted Sisters or The Hundred Mile Loop (RR335, RR336, & RR337) are without a doubt the best motorcycle roads to be found in the Hill Country of Texas. These are the roads everyone wants to ride when they visit the Texas Hill Country. Again I caution, if you are a new rider or are a cautious type, then you DO NOT belong on these three roads. They follow canyons and climb over jagged, steep and crumbling hills. They have many tight twisty curves with shear drop offs and not much in the way of guard rails. In one section about 15 miles long, there are around 65 curves. If you are an experienced rider, then this is the ride for you. If you like scenic panoramic views, bring your camera, take this ride and hold on!

http://www.koyoteranch.com/biker.htm

I have rode the 3 sisters a couple times and the only ones that crashed was the experenced over confident riders riding above their skill level with one exception where a deer took the rider off his bike. You just have to ride your ride and let the speed demons go ahead and you will be fine.

Well, I can tell you this. These are VERY challenging roads, but if you ride within yourself, it's definitely a blast and worth the trip! I was riding mostly with guys on 3rd Gen Magnas, Valkyries, Goldwings, nothing I would consider "fast", except one guy with a V65 Magna, and another guy with a Triumph Rocket III. I actually rode down there with the guy that had the Rocket, and he was basically the "alpha male" of this group, and it didn't take him long to challenge the King. He only did it ONCE! LOL! We were on a long, straight road (Highway 16), he and I were out in front, he jumped over into the left lane, threw up his hand and basically gave the signal to let her rip! I dropped down into 4th and gave her all she had, didn't take very long to over take him and watch him disappear in my rear view mirror! I let up about 150 mph and he finally caught up and gave me the thumbs up sign, one and only race of the event! I think he knew he was outgunned, that Triumph is actually 2300 CC, and about 140 hp, but no match because of it's weight, close to 800 lbs wet. The King is 175 horsepower and about 200 lbs lighter, so he never stood a chance. However, I've gotta give this guy some credit, he was the ONLY rider that went through the 3 sisters and rode them HARD! I let him take the lead the first time we rode it, we rode in a group of 3 with a guy on a 3rd Gen Magna taking up the rear, and we went through some of those curves FAST! My bike handles GREAT, it eats up those curves and has the brakes to back up all that horsepower, the turns are almost effortless, there were only a couple times I lost traction, and that was coming OUT of a curve with a twist of the grip, I never lost any traction IN the curves, and there were some hair pins!!! Overall, I've gotta say, this was the funnest ride I have been on in YEARS! It was really a blast, we did some sight seeing, saw alot of deer, eagles, antelope, vultures, armadillo's, you name it, we probably saw it at some time or another! This was my first MOOT event and I hope to do it again, all depends on the job situation next year, but I'm going to do everything in my power to make the next one! If you've never ridden the 3 sisters, you owe it to yourself to give it a try! You won't regret it!
6-16-2012_895.jpg

6-16-2012_108.jpg

Back