Trucks

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

88vmx12

Reaction score
Ok guys when growing up it was GMC then it was Chevy .... My dad had so much trouble with his Chevy that we bought a 2000 F350 power stroke and I still have it and rarely drive it. I have a 2008 F150 that I bought with about 30k miles on it. Now at 90k miles I have had an injector go out, rear end and the transmission has also been replaced and that was at 67k miles. Now something else is wrong with it and it feels like the transmission again! So I have always like the mega cab Dodge and never have been a dodge guy by any means. They have a loaded mega cab 3/4 ton locally on the lot and cannot get rid of it. My wife knows the one sales man and he says either they don't like the color or it is missing some option or they want to add this or that. It is a 2013 and her friend swears that when they show me the number I will buy it, he feels that confident. :rofl_200: so I am asking you guys input on the dodge and your experiences. :worthy:

Thanks G

I have an 05 Dodge Ram 1500 with the 4.7 V8. Bought it used 3 years ago, and the only mechanical problem has been when the shaft of the water pump broke, and went into the radiator. I replaced everything myself, and i still consider it a great truck, and would buy another one. I basically use it to haul the trailer and the bike around.

I'm scared of diesels.

Irrationally so I'm sure.

Yeah some are great and
Mucho dependable but when they suffer a serious failure the repair costs can be way more than the value of the vehicle.

They say they'll run 300,000 + miles and I believe it but everything except the engine wears at the same rate as a gas burner so you end up with a really good running pile of crap.

I wouldn't own a diesel unless I TRULY needed the towing torque they provide. The maintenance costs are too damn high.

I had an '02 chevy 3/4 ton crew with 6.0 gas burner and it went 130,000 before I sold it due to having a company truck and never driving my personal truck.

It was depreciating just sitting in the driveway.

In all that time it never had a single repair needed, just oil, filters and one set of brakes. And was still probably in 90% condition overall.

But to get off my soapbox and answer your question?

After all the talk I hear from many friends that do own them, if I was to buy a diesel p/u it would be a dodge and only a dodge no doubt.

No empirical findings there, just opinions and stories I hear.

And that's coming from a lifelong Chevy guy and also one who thinks Dodge/Chrysler has always been # 3 for a reason.

I've had gmc and Chevys. I bought a 2007 dodge Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi 3 years ago and I absolutely love it. It's the Larime edition dark grey. I put cold air intake dual exhaust and a superchips programmer in it and it's bad ass. My son is 14 now when he gets his license at 16 he's getting it and I'm getting a dodge again but this time the Cummings diesel ;)
Oh yeah I bought truck with 37,000 on it. I have 106,000 now and just had to change oil and a battery. And I drive it like a race car ;)
I did just buy ranch shocks front and rear and plan to install them next week. But I did it cause I wanted to see what all the fuss is for these shocks.

I love my truck. It's an '83 Dodge Ram W150 SE-Prospector, I picked it up when my folks got a new one back in early 2000's. They bought it new, I even took my driver's test in it back in '84.

When it turned 100k miles, it was treated to a rebuild on the trans and transfer case and a stroker motor with side exit, Headman headers and topped off with an Edelbrock 790cfm carb.

It's never leaving me. I think when I die, I'm just going to have the Vmax put in the bed, and then bury me, the truck and the Vmax all together. :)

87k2.jpg

gvw8.jpg

You know with trucks it's all about what you 're going to use it for.

I've got a 2011 F-150 Ecoboost that rides like a dream, has a backseat like a limo, tows great and goes like hell. It also gets 23 MPG on the highway.

I only towed with it once, but it was a good trip down to Florida and back from NY. My friend who does a lot of towing and split the driving with me, was amazed at how effortlessly it pulled.

The engine makes over 420 lbs of TQ at 2200 rpm stock.....it's the closest thing to a diesel in a gas engine. It has a tune in it now and runs mid-hi 13's in the 1/4 mile.

Here it is bone stock at the dragstrip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llHHh7ohT5c

-Mark-

I have a 2006 Dodge Durango which is on the mid-size truck chassis. Over 7 years old and not even a bulb out. Replaced tires and battery plus oil and filter changes. Battery was replaced just three months ago. This is first Chrysler product I have owned and I am 69 years old. Friend got one and I was so impressed driving it, I bought one. Had a Mercury Mountaineer (Ford Explorer clone) at the time and the Durango was so much better in every way. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Chrysler product again. Have several friends with Dodge pickups with no problems. One is a Hemi.

I have had all 3-Ford, Dodge, & Chevy/GMC over the years. I had a Dodge 3/4 ton 8' bed Prospector edition like KJ's but no 4x4 & mine was blue. I bought from my friend who bought it new. I owned it for about 10 years, it had a 318 cu.in. engine & auto tranny/ loaded. It only got about 13 mpg but it towed like a dream, I only towed utility trailers w/it, no car trailers or heavy construction equip. I've had Ford p/u's & vans for 20+ years, inline 6's & a 351 Windsor, no-outstanding fuel economy but they worked well over the long haul. No recent Fords.

I had a 8' bed GMC 1500 V6 p/u before my current p/u. It got crummy mileage but it didn't require much for repairs over the ~10 years I had it. I bought it from a co-worker, who bought it new. It would do about 78 mph, tops. I put a ton in the bed and it hauled it OK, not that I would make a practice of it.

Now I have a GMC Canyon crew cab I bought new, inline 5 cyl & 5500 lb. tow capacity, much more-fun as a daily driver than any of the others & it gets about 20-21 averaging ~70 mph cruising, and about 23 if I hold speeds down to 60 mph. I don't really need a full-size truck, and expect to hit retirement in it several years away.

You're always gonna take a beating on a new vehicle after 50K mi or 3 years, so if you want to drive it for many years, consider an aftermarket extended insurance plan. I usually wouldn't buy one, but my credit union made it a good deal buying new, and I don't have to worry about bills for 5 years/100K miles from the factory on major drivetrain repairs, and the aftermarket coverage covers everything-else. I've had two minor wiring electrical repairs due to shorts in 4 years/42K mi. and I originally thought to sell it after about this timeframe, but it's been good and I have decided to keep it longer.

If the truck fits what you need it to-do, buy it and enjoy it, and just sell it before the warranty expires if you aren't happy w/it. Mark's F150 Ecoboost sounds like a great truck. A lot of my firefighter friends bought Dodge Cummins p/u's and like them.

I've done over 1,000,000 miles on 3 Dakotas. Dodge man for life, second one went 430000 only replaced the starter, alt and water pump one each trans was still strong at the end, engine and rear end gave up the ghost about the same time.

Ive got a '95 Dakota with the 318, over 216,000 miles. Had for 12 yrs now, just had the normal stuff replaced, water pump, fluids, tires, lights, filters. and a fuel pump due to my mom running it out of gas one time when she borrowed it. Damn body is going to rust into nothingness before the motor gives up the ghost, lol. Im definately going to buy another Dakota!

I just purchased a 2013 fx4 f150 with the ecoboost, only has 900 miles on it so far but i'm very impressed, its a runner and the gas mileage is pretty good too. I was always a chevy guy because they are reliable but decided to give ford a try, glad I did.

My friend has a 2009 dodge diesel, nothing but troubles...
its in the garage more than he drives it.

I've had this 1998 Dodge Ram SS/T for 12 years. Only has 52,000 miles on it. Rebuilt the front end and had a bearing freeze up on the left front axle, steering column rebuilt, rubber suspension buffers have rotted away. Dash cap installed. Ac still blows 32 degrees. Always kept under cover. Still looks Great though. Uses 2 quarts of oil in 5k miles. I'd buy a Ford or Chevy if I had it all to do over. :confused2:

Attachments

• DodgeSST.jpg
    DodgeSST.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 13
I was a chevy guy for years, untill the bailout , then I bought an old ford. I grew to really like that truck. It did everything I needed it to do and looke good doing it. It got totaled in october:bang head:. I spent six weeks looking for a replacement truck anything reg cab short bed............anything but a DODGE. I just dont like them.

I ended up finding this nice little dealer preped truck , an 04 with 64k , the ford was the truck that got wrecked , served me well.

Attachments

• photo (164).jpg
    photo (164).jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 12
  • photo (165).jpg
    photo (165).jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 10
  • photo (166).jpg
    photo (166).jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 9
  • photo (173).JPG
    photo (173).JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 11
  • photo 2 (1).jpg
    photo 2 (1).jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 11
  • photo 1 (3).jpg
    photo 1 (3).jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 10
We have a small fleet of diesels at work. Years range from 01 to 13. Its a mix of chevy, gmc, and ford, the majority are ford 350/450/550.

The old ford 7.3 are the most reliable trucks we've owned. The newer ford 6.4 and 6.7 have been problematic. The newest ford (don't remember engine size) has needed a turbo and then a motor replacement before it hit 50K miles. Luckily both were warranty items.

We are fed up with running these new fords to the garage. We decided to try a new dodge 550. It is supposed to come in by the end of the year. Hopefully we have better luck with it. One nice thing, it has a 100K mile warranty.

I don't think there is a good answer to your question. You will find people that have great success with a certain brand and you will find others who have nothing but trouble.

As rusty mentioned, diesel repair costs are skyrocketing. Seems anymore you have to pull the cab to change the oil, LOL. Parts are outrageous. Its not unusual to spend over 3k for a "minor" repair.

We have a small fleet of diesels at work. Years range from 01 to 13. Its a mix of chevy, gmc, and ford, the majority are ford 350/450/550.

The old ford 7.3 are the most reliable trucks we've owned. The newer ford 6.4 and 6.7 have been problematic. The newest ford (don't remember engine size) has needed a turbo and then a motor replacement before it hit 50K miles. Luckily both were warranty items.

We are fed up with running these new fords to the garage. We decided to try a new dodge 550. It is supposed to come in by the end of the year. Hopefully we have better luck with it. One nice thing, it has a 100K mile warranty.

I don't think there is a good answer to your question. You will find people that have great success with a certain brand and you will find others who have nothing but trouble.

As rusty mentioned, diesel repair costs are skyrocketing. Seems anymore you have to pull the cab to change the oil, LOL. Parts are outrageous. Its not unusual to spend over 3k for a "minor" repair.

Yes I have the 7.3 in a 2000 F350 4 door long box "The Bus as my wife calls it!" It has 220,000 miles on it and I have sunk an easy 10k in it with repairs over the years which is to be expected with a diesel like we all have said. I have replaced Front end, injectors, turbo, vacuum booster, power steering pump, glow plugs and several glow plug solenoids to name the major items. Now the injector drive module has been going out for about 2 years or so. I still drive it once in a great while but I have chosen to drive my 08 F150 due to the simple fact it gets better gas mileage. Now with the new Dodge getting a few more miles to the gallon than my F150 (not eco boost) I am very interested for the simple fact of mileage and it had good pulling power that I will need to pull my bobcat around and a few large trailers that I have. So in short I need the power of a diesel and it almost feels right like I told my wife :confused2:

G

If you are going to be towing at all, I would give the F-150 Ecoboost a hard look. I don't tow often, but I couldn't resist the feeling of all that TQ down low. Take a look at this graph that compares the Ford engines The TQ curve is amazing.

Lots of good trucks out there to choose from now. All of the manufactures have nice offerings. I also agree with the extended warranty if you are buying or even leasing new.. I never buy it when I buy the vehicle though, I always shop it on the internet. You can often save 50% off of what a dealer will offer you for the same genuine warranty.

Ecoboostvs62vs50-HP-Torque.jpg

If you are going to be towing at all, I would give the F-150 Ecoboost a hard look. I don't tow often, but I couldn't resist the feeling of all that TQ down low. Take a look at this graph that compares the Ford engines The TQ curve is amazing.

Lots of good trucks out there to choose from now. All of the manufactures have nice offerings. I also agree with the extended warranty if you are buying or even leasing new.. I never buy it when I buy the vehicle though, I always shop it on the internet. You can often save 50% off of what a dealer will offer you for the same genuine warranty.

View attachment 40520

My brother in-law has one and loves it! However I have a 40' triple axle enclosed work trailer that I sometimes need to move :bang head: so the eco boost 6 cylinder is pretty much out I think.

Thanks G

I am leery of boosted/forced induction gas motors for daily use. Taking a small motor and forcing a bunch of air down its throat to work the hell out of it seems like it would shorten its life.

Then again several imports prove me wrong, Subaru comes to mind with their bullet proof turbo applications. As well as the boosted GM stuff going in the Vette's and Caddy's. So my fear is probably an irrational one.

I guess I'm just too old fashioned. If it was me I'd say screw the mileage and buy the biggest N/A gas motor you can run.

Ford has a 6.2 Litre 2 valve motor that makes more torque and horsepower than the Eco boost. Worse gas mileage but if I had to put money on it I would bet it will outlive the ecoboost V6.

I rented one in Colorado and it was ridiculously powerful for a four wheel drive crew cab.

Latest posts

Back