Tune-up?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bagherra

Reaction score
Hi all,
I've had my Vmax for a couple of months now. It's a 97 with a little over 20K miles on it. I don't really have a maintenance record for it and I got it from a dealer, but it looks like it was maintained pretty well by the original owner (it was 1 owner - I'm the second).

To play it safe I was going to do the works in regards to maintenance...replace the below...
1) Oil (already replaced with new filter)
2) Coolant
3) Air box
4) Spark plugs
5) Gear oil? (this is last on my list)

I have an exhaust and jet kit coming so I'll take a good look at the carbs then. Maybe give them a cleaning if they need it. I've seen all the great carb posts so I'll peak at those for FAQs when the time comes.

The tires look good and the bike runs good. Brakes are a little on the squishy side, but don't seem out of spec for a big bike from 97. I'll check the fluid levels. The pads kind of do a squeak-rub-rub on the rotors so I'll likely change those all out at some point soon. I've been reading the posts on brake recommendations.

Is there anything I'm missing or I should check? Any gotchas? I'm pretty handy especially around carbed vehicles so I can do all the work myself.

This site has been great. I appreciate the help.

Check your tires and the manufacture date.

My bike is a 97 and the front tire was from 1995. It's still on the bike. Looks like no once changed it out OR someone threw it on for certification?

Check your tires and the manufacture date.

My bike is a 97 and the front tire was from 1995. It's still on the bike. Looks like no once changed it out OR someone threw it on for certification?
Whoa...good point. I didn't think to do that. :)

-Bleeding the brakes might tighten them up a little
-With a new exhaust and jet kit you'll need to (at least) resynch your carbs. Do you have (or have access to( a synch tool?
-the final drive oil is quick and easy to change - I'd keep it on the list.

-Bleeding the brakes might tighten them up a little
-With a new exhaust and jet kit you'll need to (at least) resynch your carbs. Do you have (or have access to( a synch tool?
-the final drive oil is quick and easy to change - I'd keep it on the list.
No, I don't have a sync tool. Where do I get that?

No, I don't have a sync tool. Where do I get that?
http://www.carbtune.com/ is typically regarded as the best for the money, but there are other options.

they work great. if you dont' wanna spend that much right now i can send you my 2 port model which takes a bit longer but works just as well, and you send it back when you're done.

do the gear oil as well. so easy and its overlooked a lot.

also you may want to do the fork oil, it will probably stiffen up the front end quite a bit and really should only cost you the $$ in the oil, don't need any seals to just do the oil.

sounds like you've done your research. brake pads are easy as you know, i like the EBC HH up front and the EBC (FA88) organic in the rear, i was squealing with the metallic ones in the rear. i don't think the post 93 brakes need to be upgraded in the front at least, i've always though its enough. i don't like the stock rear rotor tho and have always replaced 'em.

also, bleed your brakes and your clutch, that made a big difference for me as well (brakes at least).

Sweet! Thanks for the hook-up. I'll check out the tool at carbtune and let you know if I need to borrow yours. I'll add fork oil to the list.

You guys are great...this is by far the friendliest and most helpful site I've been to for cars or M/Cs.

What jet kit and what exhaust? Before you mess something up (happens a lot here) let us know what you have so we can assist you in this matter.

Brake fluid for sure!

When you say "Air Box" you mean filter right?

Chris

What jet kit and what exhaust? Before you mess something up (happens a lot here) let us know what you have so we can assist you in this matter.

Brake fluid for sure!

When you say "Air Box" you mean filter right?

Chris
Mark's 4-2 exhaust and Sean's jet kit. Yeah...air box = filter - K/N

I'll definitely keep you guys in the loop. I've been reading the threads on the jet kits, carb syncs, and exhaust installs to get prepared. It's starting to get warm up here so I'll do some work this weekend if the parts are all here. I ordered from different places.

wait a sec. if you have a morley jet kit, what exactly are you replacing in/on/with the airbox? the airbox lid should be a siliconed in K&N which should never need to be replaced.

I almost forgot!

FUEL FILTER!

See how dirty it is - as it might also give you an idea of what the gas tank will look like!

wait a sec. if you have a morley jet kit, what exactly are you replacing in/on/with the airbox? the airbox lid should be a siliconed in K&N which should never need to be replaced.
It's funny you said that...I just noticed that a few minutes ago. It looks like I'll be returning the K/N when it gets here. D'oh! :)

Thanks for the fuel filter suggestion...I'll give that a check also.

Bob,

Hope all goes well for you with the install. The papers I put in the box should be a pretty good start on the carbs.

If you want, you can borrow my carbtune. It makes synching a breeze. I can ship it out and you can hold on to it for awhile till you get the carbs set up where you feel comfortable. I won't be needing it anytime soon. If you want to borrow it, I can send out som SS screws for the diaphragm covers and float bowls too. I still have a bunch and theres a good chance you might need new diaphragm cover screws once you install the kit.

You should get a K&N filter cleaning kit. Pretty cheap at any major auto parts store. That filter has less than 2K miles on it and was not subject to riding in any extreme conditions but you might as well start off clean. Sorry, forgot to do that.

I have found that "purple metal polish" works pretty good to clean the SS parts on the pipes. It will work on the cans too but I like to finish up the cans with mother mag n aluminum polish as it seems a bit less abrasive.

Wait till you hear it! Sounds awesome!

Bob,

Hope all goes well for you with the install. The papers I put in the box should be a pretty good start on the carbs.

If you want, you can borrow my carbtune. It makes synching a breeze. I can ship it out and you can hold on to it for awhile till you get the carbs set up where you feel comfortable. I won't be needing it anytime soon. If you want to borrow it, I can send out som SS screws for the diaphragm covers and float bowls too. I still have a bunch and theres a good chance you might need new diaphragm cover screws once you install the kit.

You should get a K&N filter cleaning kit. Pretty cheap at any major auto parts store. That filter has less than 2K miles on it and was not subject to riding in any extreme conditions but you might as well start off clean. Sorry, forgot to do that.

I have found that "purple metal polish" works pretty good to clean the SS parts on the pipes. It will work on the cans too but I like to finish up the cans with mother mag n aluminum polish as it seems a bit less abrasive.

Wait till you hear it! Sounds awesome!
Hi Mike,
If you don't mind sending out the carbtune, that would be cool. I can ship it back really soon. No prob on the filter cleaning, I'll get'r done.

I can't wait! I'm really looking forward to it! :eusa_dance:

I will shoot to try and ship it out tomorrow. Take you time with it and make sure you are dialed in before sending it back. As I said, I won't be needing it anytime soon.

Hey bag I'm close to you (if you're still in Indy) and I have a carbtune you'd be welcome to borrow if you want to check one out. Let me know

Hey bag I'm close to you (if you're still in Indy) and I have a carbtune you'd be welcome to borrow if you want to check one out. Let me know
Hi, yeah...I'm still in Indy. If Mike is still sending his I'll be good. I really appreciate the offer. :punk:

Back