Turtle Soup Anyone???

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

one2dmax

Staff member
Reaction score
Look at the sucker I found sunning himself in my shop driveway. Looked like he was moving from my upper pond to the lower pond. I estimate he weighs around 50-60lbs with a neck reach around 8-10 inches.

Probably eating the fish my daughter caught in it last year.

Sean

Attachments

• Snapper.jpg
    Snapper.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 56
  • Staci Fishing.jpg
    Staci Fishing.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 52
Wow! He's an old timer, prolly been going back & forth between your ponds for many years.

Looks like your daughter is quite the 'angler' You'll never go hungry! :biglaugh:

Look at the sucker I found sunning himself in my shop driveway. Looked like he was moving from my upper pond to the lower pond. I estimate he weighs around 50-60lbs with a neck reach around 8-10 inches.

Sean

Nasty ol' boy. Man, I hate snappers. (Well, not that snapper.) I used to go to a large pond near where I grew up and spend the afternoon shooting 'em with my .22-250. Kind of a poor man's prairie dog. :confused2:

Nasty ol' boy. Man, I hate snappers. (Well, not that snapper.) I used to go to a large pond near where I grew up and spend the afternoon shooting 'em with my .22-250. Kind of a poor man's prairie dog. :confused2:

.22-250!! Holy SHITBALLS Batman!! Not sure how to break this to ya' Tom, but you can get a lot closer to a turtle than you can a woodchuck!!

Old Chinese quote: "Long range varmitter for turtles, like full length nightgown on wedding night...............NOT NECESSARY!" :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

.22-250!! Holy SHITBALLS Batman!! Not sure how to break this to ya' Tom, but you can get a lot closer to a turtle than you can a woodchuck!!

Old Chinese quote: "Long range varmitter for turtles, like full length nightgown on wedding night...............NOT NECESSARY!" :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Yeah, but those 55-grain SX Hornady bullets exploded 'em like crazy. All the better for feeding the Channel Cat, man! Like I said, I hated them snappers.

The long nightgown wasn't the problem on my wedding night. It was that locking belt my father-in-law made her wear. Heck, I think she's still wearing the damn thing. :bang head:

The long nightgown wasn't the problem on my wedding night. It was that locking belt my father-in-law made her wear. Heck, I think she's still wearing the damn thing. :bang head:

I HATE when that happens!! Judicious application of precision welding torch, perhaps? :confused2:

note: If it goes to a full-blown spousal abuse trial I will, of course, deny ever suggesting that!! :biglaugh:

You're not going to kill it are you? Aren't those endangered?

I hate seeing turtles killed... :wave bye:

Snapping turtles endangered? Nope. They're a friggin' nuisance. Hissing, biting, nasty beasts. Water rats.

They have their place in the food chain, man. It's all part of the 'grand ecological scheme.' Leave 'em be, they don't mess.....unless messed with!

Do roaches and rats have a place, too? Now, excuse me. I'm hungry and have to go make a Condor egg omelette.

Of course they do-everything has a place. It's when the wise ol' "human bean" decides how things should be balanced that the trouble starts!

You go and whack all the snappers out of a pond and there's a good chance you'll end up with something even worse, bunch of water moccasins or somethin.'

I only shoot what's trying to shoot me!! :gun shoot:

(I thought it was illegal in texas to confine Condors)

Hey Sean
Good catch, I will come up and get some of that good ole turtle soup. My grandpa and I used to whack them as well with the first rifle I ever owned. Little single shot .22 LR, iron sights. Got to be a pretty good shot with that old thing.
Tell Staci and Steph, Ma & Pa and Beth I said Howdy.

Of course they do-everything has a place. It's when the wise ol' "human bean" decides how things should be balanced that the trouble starts!

You go and whack all the snappers out of a pond and there's a good chance you'll end up with something even worse, bunch of water moccasins or somethin.'

I only shoot what's trying to shoot me!! :gun shoot:

(I thought it was illegal in texas to confine Condors)

Perhaps I'll go outside and take a pic of the 6-8" hole I found in my soffit from the local squirrel population. Bastages. I have my Crossman pellet gun loaded and leaning in the corner of my home office, here. When I see the little buck-toothed bastages, they will expire right on my roof.

I hope that's OK with you, you little tree hugger? :biglaugh:

Sean , nice catch ! We used to eat turtles like that when I lived in Western NY. Last year we ate a rattlesnake I clubbed in deer season. It was edible, but not as good as turtle. Archery season just opened here in FL & I'm going tomorrow AM. My motto is " If it's brown, it's down !" I figure as long as I eat whatever I shoot, it died for a good cause. Don't worry about a snapping turtle shortage anyone - there's a bajillion of them out there & most people won't touch 'em with a ten foot pole. ( exept Sean ) :biglaugh:

Sean , nice catch ! We used to eat turtles like that when I lived in Western NY. Last year we ate a rattlesnake I clubbed in deer season. It was edible, but not as good as turtle. Archery season just opened here in FL & I'm going tomorrow AM. My motto is " If it's brown, it's down !" I figure as long as I eat whatever I shoot, it died for a good cause. Don't worry about a snapping turtle shortage anyone - there's a bajillion of them out there & most people won't touch 'em with a ten foot pole. ( exept Sean ) :biglaugh:

+1, and if you've ever tried to take your kid fishing with a worm and bobber given a glut of these jerks in your pond, you'll understand why to hate them.

I did actually relocate him to the pond by the house. It's bigger but dried up last year so no fish in it. He'll have to do some traveling again!

I've shot many a turtle with the old .22 - it's not too dang easy for the little dudes since all you see is tiny tip of thier nose.

Sean

Perhaps I'll go outside and take a pic of the 6-8" hole I found in my soffit from the local squirrel population. Bastages. I have my Crossman pellet gun loaded and leaning in the corner of my home office, here. When I see the little buck-toothed bastages, they will expire right on my roof.

I hope that's OK with you, you little tree hugger? :biglaugh:

Cast iron soffits, the only way to go!! Then you, and the rodents, can live in harmony. :biglaugh:

I actually do love trees!! It's those Green Peacers, or them fuckin' Sierra Clubbers that give me the shits!! But the trees are cool!!

Like I said, when the humans get in there, mucking everything up, is when it all goes south!

Like building housing developments right in the middle of centuries old squirrel breeding areas. :rofl_200:

I did actually relocate him to the pond by the house. It's bigger but dried up last year so no fish in it. He'll have to do some traveling again!

I've shot many a turtle with the old .22 - it's not too dang easy for the little dudes since all you see is tiny tip of thier nose.

Sean

Could this explain why a lot of the turtles in your area have those short faces??

Good for you, relocating the turtle! :clapping: Poor guy's probably older than Jayhawk, but that' really not a good enough reason to 'put him down.' Almost, but not quite!! :rofl_200:

+1, and if you've ever tried to take your kid fishing with a worm and bobber given a glut of these jerks in your pond, you'll understand why to hate them.

Shit,we used to just flip a stick of quarry 'mite in the pond, row out after & grab up the big ones.

Those were memory makers, that's for sure!! The kids used to love to light the dynamite!! :biglaugh:

Sean

Your daughter caught THAT fish in your pond!?! Damn.... wish I had a pond like that!

Latest posts

Back