UFO Posting there Win In July

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lankeeyankee

Reaction score
IT IS OFFICIAL - UFO wins at Thompson!!! 1st annual UFO Drag Day was held on July 20th at Thompson Raceway Park.

Whats the deal with this, Is Sean setting a re-match??

Cornell claims he can tune a VMAX with stock internals to make 139 HP:worthy:

Maybe I need to take my bike up to Ohio so he can Tune my 1/8 mile turd

Yea, he won. On an almost unstreetable bike. I raced on Jeffs bike which is setup pretty much like the average owner would ride around on the street like. Big difference when you cut off close to 100 lbs (30-40 for rider, more for lightweight wheels, lack of rotor and caliper on front, no shocks on rear, ect...).

Sean

Will let you use my Max next summer Sean:biglaugh: Going to have to put it in stealth mode, but that shouldn't be a problem...... just remove the cyl. side plates and put back to stock. No need to advertise. Of course if Damon is there all bets are off LOL, he knows too much.

Yea, he won. On an almost unstreetable bike. I raced on Jeffs bike which is setup pretty much like the average owner would ride around on the street like. Big difference when you cut off close to 100 lbs (30-40 for rider, more for lightweight wheels, lack of rotor and caliper on front, no shocks on rear, ect...).

Sean

Sean,

I dislike Cornell as much as anyone, but... it looks like he came prepared to race, and you didn't. You know, like bring a knife to a gun fight.

He CLAIMS a lot... That's his problem! He's a good racer with a lot of experience but he's an ass and a liar to boot!

I am not impressed with his race record he posts on his site.

In 1980, he was awarded his professional motorcycle drag racing license

Big deal, I held an NHRA Liscense back in 1992 when I raced the NHRA finals Race Of Champions. You have to make 3 60ft passes 3 half track passes and 3 full track passes with a certified tech watching. He signs it and you send it off to the NHRA and you get your liscense in the mail.

Most recently, in 2001 Jon won the AMA Prostar Hot Rod Cruiser Class on a Harley Davidson Dyna Glide

Big deal, this is basically a group of weekend warrior wanna be racers, most of these guys cant cut a light to save there lives and run way off there dial ins.

All I know is he was challenged to a race stock internals with UFO mods and Seans mods. Nothing was said about suspension street trim etc.
I just want to know if there is going to be a race again in 2009?

I did take my bike but broke the trans the night before the race. He probably would have still won but it would have been very close!

Sean

I did take my bike but broke the trans the night before the race. He probably would have still won but it would have been very close!

Sean

Well...not to be a ball buster, but...after all the BS that was flying around, threats, and bad blood I would have brought one very stout bike. Cornell shows up ready to race, with a bike prepped for the track. You brake your bike the night before? WTF I would have been in bed getting some sleep so my reaction would be good. Not beating the crap out of the only bike I dragged halfway across the country to race.

Sorry Sean, you dropped the ball on this one. IMHO.:ummm:

Well, I had best reaction time of the event and probably the overall averaged best reaction times. I had nearly as good a 60' time on a strangers bike that was probably close to 100lbs heavier then Jons counting driver. My bike was making 8 more HP then Jeffs and had been breaking parts all week. I had simply set it up far too aggressive for traction and clutch. I was getting nearly 100% traction and no clutch slippage. It was simply too much for the stock parts.

Keep in mind Jon had been to the track practicing (so he said at least once). This was the first time to the track this year. Even as such, my bike still would have been heavier since I was thinking it was supposed to be what the average guy would be driving.

I still feel there is some inside work on Jons engine but could be wrong. What I felt would have been a fairer comparison would have been for both of us to run on the same bike.

Jon and I discussed doing a similar event but actually using the same bike next time. I will eventually look for a cheap beater to use for such an event. He's agreed to maybe do it that way. One day on the bike for me and the next for him (or vice-versa).

Bust all you want, fact is I still beat every nearly every other bike there with a strangers bike.

Sean

"I still feel there is some inside work on Jons engine but could be wrong"

Well at least we agree on one thing.:th_laugh2:

Cornell has been accused of "cheating" before.

Well...not to be a ball buster, but...after all the BS that was flying around, threats, and bad blood I would have brought one very stout bike. Cornell shows up ready to race, with a bike prepped for the track. You brake your bike the night before? WTF I would have been in bed getting some sleep so my reaction would be good. Not beating the crap out of the only bike I dragged halfway across the country to race.

Sorry Sean, you dropped the ball on this one. IMHO.:ummm:

I agree, Told him about them HD driveshafts. VMAX Trannies Suck Ass! I have snapped driveshafts but never blew a tranny.
Atleast if you snapped a driveshaft at the track ya could have popped a new one in about 30 minutes rather than showing up with a basket case with metallic oil.
Yeah you were on a different bike, but a VMAX not like jumping off a ZX-10 onto a VMAX.
I think a re-match would be good. Jons bike was light with his wheels he sells, He removed one front brake caliper (which plenty of street bikes ride with) Jon was preparred for the race, his shit held together, and he ran great times, so Jon must have his shit together a lil more organzied, IMO
I doubt that his engine internals were stock I bet if you pull his header off and looked in the exhaust ports they are shining like chrome

I sure don't think Sean dropped anything.... except his tranny!!!

We traveled 1000 miles (one way) with 2 bikes, and Sean was not beating his bike the night before... he actually didn't want to ride it, but we talked him into a quick ride.... oops.

I still need to do a better write-up on the event, but what did the race really prove? To me it proves that Sean had the best reaction time, his best 60' was within 0.0258 seconds of Jon's best. Jon had more horsepower, there was no doubt about that! I think he claimed high 130's for HP, and we know my bike is at 120 HP. So lets say that there is a minimum of 15 HP difference and quite a few pounds difference. There was only a 5-6 mph difference and that ended up being about a 1/2 second in the 1/4 mile. I had Morley's kit (and it was set up exactly like Sean normally has it so we may have lost a HP or two) , a Kerker exhaust, progressive shocks in the rear, and that was basically it. This is basically a bike like many of us ride. Jon had a drag bike, and it was a drag race, and he did win. But I would also like to know how much $$ and time he had in that bike. I would also like to see him take it bike for a 100 mile ride without stopping for gas, or to take a rest since it was strutted in the rear.

The race proved that Jon had the faster bike that day. We all know that $$ can buy speed. This was Sean's first pass of the year, on a bike he has never raced before, at a new track, drove 1000 miles, and stayed up until 1:00am talking to an old friend the night before. I'm not trying to make excuses for Sean, but lets face it.... Sean is a man's man. He is a straight shooter, a hell of a nice guy, great to deal with, and is willing to help almost anyone out when he can. I think Jon OWES it to Sean to come to Wichita next year and race again. I have very little experience in dealing with Jon, he had a very well organized race day for us, but the weather had other plans. It would say a lot about Jon, if he was willing to make the same 1000 mile trip.

Let's say both bikes were the same (other than the carb setup). Sean's kit can be put on in a few hours and for a little over $200.
Jon's carb setup is 10 times as much and you will probably have to stop at the gas station twice as often. I hope if we can get another race set up, each guy gets a set about of time to "mod" their carb setup on the same bike and they each will be able to race the bike. I would also like to have a dyno there just for comparison purposes (this would basically take out driver error and would show people what you can really get out of each setup).

I would like to keep typing, but I'm going to go to bed and get turned down by the wife! :bang head:

Jeff

We traveled 1000 miles (one way) with 2 bikes, and Sean was not beating his bike the night before... he actually didn't want to ride it, but we talked him into a quick ride.... oops.

I still need to do a better write-up on the event, but what did the race really prove? To me it proves that Sean had the best reaction time, his best 60' was within 0.0258 seconds of Jon's best. Jon had more horsepower, there was no doubt about that! I think he claimed high 130's for HP, and we know my bike is at 120 HP. So lets say that there is a minimum of 15 HP difference and quite a few pounds difference. There was only a 5-6 mph difference and that ended up being about a 1/2 second in the 1/4 mile. I had Morley's kit (and it was set up exactly like Sean normally has it so we may have lost a HP or two) , a Kerker exhaust, progressive shocks in the rear, and that was basically it. This is basically a bike like many of us ride. Jon had a drag bike, and it was a drag race, and he did win. But I would also like to know how much $$ and time he had in that bike. I would also like to see him take it bike for a 100 mile ride without stopping for gas, or to take a rest since it was strutted in the rear.

The race proved that Jon had the faster bike that day. We all know that $$ can buy speed. This was Sean's first pass of the year, on a bike he has never raced before, at a new track, drove 1000 miles, and stayed up until 1:00am talking to an old friend the night before. I'm not trying to make excuses for Sean, but lets face it.... Sean is a man's man. He is a straight shooter, a hell of a nice guy, great to deal with, and is willing to help almost anyone out when he can. I think Jon OWES it to Sean to come to Wichita next year and race again. I have very little experience in dealing with Jon, he had a very well organized race day for us, but the weather had other plans. It would say a lot about Jon, if he was willing to make the same 1000 mile trip.

Let's say both bikes were the same (other than the carb setup). Sean's kit can be put on in a few hours and for a little over $200.
Jon's carb setup is 10 times as much and you will probably have to stop at the gas station twice as often. I hope if we can get another race set up, each guy gets a set about of time to "mod" their carb setup on the same bike and they each will be able to race the bike. I would also like to have a dyno there just for comparison purposes (this would basically take out driver error and would show people what you can really get out of each setup).

I would like to keep typing, but I'm going to go to bed and get turned down by the wife! :bang head:

Jeff

:clapping: Nice Article Jeff...

I am not taking sides with anyone and honestly I was really pulling for Sean to go up there and spank Jon. I guess because I feel as I am part of this group and Sean was representing us by going up there to race. There was some BS going back and forth such as UFO calling Sean TOTO etc. That even more was hoping that Sean could pull it off.
It doesnt really say much though if he didnt want to ride his bike before the race, I know if I know when I was going to be traveling across states to a big cash bracket race I would race my bike local before I went out of town to ensure it would hold together. LOVE GSXR's! Anyways.....
Proves Sean had the best reaction time... Was this was setup just for reaction times? We could have done this on video at an NHRA event on a practice tree to prove that... Anyone want to challenge me best avg. .500 tree on a practice tree?? Anyways.,.....
I know UFO over there reads this site, or someone posts to them. Guess we are just a bunch of chumps to UFO.
I hate to tell you either Jons bike was making more 130 or your bike is making less than 120. A Half a second on a VMAX is about 60 horsepower...
No one is doubting that Seans Jet kit is better streetabilty over the VGAS system, we are talking horsepower product for product, carbs, jet kits, wheels, suspension, street legal stuff. This wasnt a race of durability which would have been even more embarassing to show up with a broken bike.. I realize shit happens but somethings can be avoided and in this case hmmm well... we all have our opinions..
Good luck tonight at the track Jeff.

Jeff

Jeff,

Your missing the point completely. The bottom line is if you are going to drive 1000 miles to race you should be 100% prepared. This is not a personal attack on Sean, his products or his company. I for one wanted to see Cornell go down big time and am disappointed that Sean didn't beat him. Sean's reaction times were better OK, but at the end of the track he was last. Thats what counts in a drag race.

I had a 10sec. Grand National that I owned for 10 years. Street raced it to finance the build up of the car. I would tune it at the track Sat afternoon and race it Sat night. Made some big $$$$ with that car. The point? I was prepared to race, and win. Cheated like hell, but doesn't everyone (NASCAR, NHRA)?

Cheating= Getting caught trying to get the edge.
Winning= Using all your advantages and when thats not enough utilizing tricks that others wernt smart enough to do.

Kinda like poker its not always the best hand that wins it how you play your cards, Same way in racing.

Heres a trophy for winning the reaction race :eclipsee_gold_cup:

I was pulling for Sean as well.

I have dealt with both of these guys and Sean is definitely a stand up guy and Jon is SO far away it isn't funny. Funny someone here said he cheats... He cheats his customers too. I wish people would understand that Jon is NOT a good guy. He makes you feel like he is but in the end he is a snake in the grass...

I say if Jon won't got to Wichita then we call BITCH on his part. :damn angry:

In the end I would say the rules weren't defined clearly enough or Sean WOULD have been ready. I thought as well they had to be basically stock bikes which means what it says. NOT missing parts.

Naw... I understand where you guys are coming from, and like I said this was a fun event. It was "bringing a knife to a gun fight". And I'm not exactly sure what that race was supposed to prove... if it was who the better driver was, or who had the faster bike, or who had the best carb setup.... I just went along for the ride.

I'm also glad that Lankee pointed out that "a 1/2 second is like 60 hp on a vmax". I was actually getting about a 1/2 second faster with my 40 hp shot of nitrous. And if he as even 20 hp more than my bike, there is a lot of weight to shed to still be a 1/2 second faster.:hmmm: Something smells a little fishy about that.

Another thing that was weird was that in his movie, he runs a 10.84 @ 119mph. This was during his testing runs and I think he was trying to use an air shifter (that wasn't working well) and still ran a 10.84. On his two runs against Morley he runs 125 mph at 10.93 and 10.65.

He ran 7 mph slower on a test run and still went almost a full 1/10 second faster during one of his runs against Morley. Me confused.

One last comment... did anyone see the orange supercharged bike in the movie file he posted? That was a pretty sweet bike and I think the guy came from Georgia or SC... I didn't get a chance to talk to him much, but I thought I heard that Jon helped him install the charger or helped tune it or something, and that bike does 121mph @ 11.36. I'm not sure I would want to post that on my website if I had been helping out on that. I don't know what that setup costs, but if Morley can beat it with a basically stock bike, I
think someone got screwed. I'm sure some of it comes down to the driver, but the mph should reflect the HP, and 121mph doesn't equate to being much more than a stock bike?

I'm off to get some work done... on the bike:eusa_dance: Need to change nitrous jets, put in new plugs, get the slick on, fill up some bottles, put in my super secret fuel additive (Seafoam) in and I'll be off to the track.

Jeff

I was pulling for Sean as well.

I have dealt with both of these guys and Sean is definitely a stand up guy and Jon is SO far away it isn't funny. Funny someone here said he cheats... He cheats his customers too. I wish people would understand that Jon is NOT a good guy. He makes you feel like he is but in the end he is a snake in the grass...

I say if Jon won't got to Wichita then we call BITCH on his part. :damn angry:

In the end I would say the rules weren't defined clearly enough or Sean WOULD have been ready. I thought as well they had to be basically stock bikes which means what it says. NOT missing parts.

The rules were pretty clear "stock internals" and naturally aspirated. I think other than that, it was game on. If he doesn't come to Wichita, there isn't really a reason to bitch, it would just be a very nice gesture on his part. I think Jon is hoping to keep doing this each year, but it would be nice to hold it at different locations so we can meet more people, have new faces and new tracks to run around on. (Plus it would help offset some travel costs for people each year) O.k. time to work on the bike.

Back