Upgrade driveshaft?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Birdoprey

Reaction score
How much abuse does the stk driveshaft normally take? What are replacement options? I'm looking to possibly add a turbo to my stk 89 V-max. I've got a braced stk swingarm and i'll be running a 5.5"X17" rear wheel with a 190/50R17 tire. Don't wanna mess anything up or be left stranded...

There are upgraded shafts out there. Morley's Muscle is a good place to start.

Unless you have some trans work done, I'd keep with the stock. they can take a fair amount of abuse. You would definately want to snap a driveshaft before you toast a trans.

If you beef up the driveshaft than there's a better chance for something to break elsewhere...like the tranny.

Geez, since Mr Doom and Gloom "You're gonna blow yer tranny" won't help ya, I will. Blue Ridge Mtn. Sportmax offers stronger shafts for $200.

linky: http://rmsportmax.com/gateway.html

I am not sure how much power a stock shaft will take. Ask CoPilot777 on here, I believe his Max is supercharged, don't know about his swingarm and driveshaft set-up.

Ask Sean about them HD driveshafts......

The driveshaft is the weak link before the tranny...

Driveshaft off ebay= 35.00
Labor to replace= less than hour.

Woooo Whoooo HD driveshaft!!
Busted Output shaft in tranny.
Cost= Starting at 500.00 if you didnt damage anything else with all the metal floating around in your engine.
Labor= Minimal 18 hours.

Its very rare to blow the tranny before the OEM shaft snaps.
Its very rare that a HD shaft will nap
Its Common to Blow a Tranny with a HD shaft.

I have ran NOS with a car slick dragracing and havent snapped the OEM shaft. NOS and Engine= around ...... well over 150 HP.

When I did break the driveshaft it was hard burnout launches on concrete.

You decide...

I still like the HD driveshaft even though it has bit me a few times. I simply took out some of the clutch I had to allow for some slippage in that location (I had a pretty tough clutch added to the bike for 100% traction - not to mention a very soft slick on the back).

We should now be able to get the HD shafts too. We are about 1/2 done with the first 3" stretch in the new jig fixture. It's reconnected but now needs to be notched and braced. We will probably start finishing up that part of it this week.

Sean

Allow for some slipping?:ummm: I notice when my clutch is to weak the clutch slippage usually shows up in the top 2 gears. Most bikes with a soft clutch will still be able to put the power to the ground in first maybe 2nd but will you ever see 3, and 4th hit hard.

Hmm thats a new thought Sean...
HD driveshaft, but soften the clutch up to compensate but take an ass kicking in the top end MPH due to the slippage..

Unless you are talking about a multistage lockup clutch. Do they make one for the VMAX? I really wish someone with extra money would buy a slider clutch from that place, I would love to here there expierence before I dump the 600.00 on a new product from a new company..

Think I am going to modify a Chevy 1 ton drive shaft in my VMAX and remove one of them pressure spring plates...

1.47's all day long with a fat 8 in car slick with an OEM shaft.. and power shifting 3rd with nos,, havent broke one yet on the track.

Ask Sean about them HD driveshafts......

The driveshaft is the weak link before the tranny...

Driveshaft off ebay= 35.00
Labor to replace= less than hour.

Woooo Whoooo HD driveshaft!!
Busted Output shaft in tranny.
Cost= Starting at 500.00 if you didnt damage anything else with all the metal floating around in your engine.
Labor= Minimal 18 hours.

Its very rare to blow the tranny before the OEM shaft snaps.
Its very rare that a HD shaft will nap
Its Common to Blow a Tranny with a HD shaft.

I have ran NOS with a car slick dragracing and havent snapped the OEM shaft. NOS and Engine= around ...... well over 150 HP.

When I did break the driveshaft it was hard burnout launches on concrete.

You decide...
LANKEE , YOU ARE ONE FUNNY FUCKER !:rofl_200:I'M WITH YOU ON THIS ONE ! AT LEAST MY WALLET AGREE"S WITH YOU 100 % !:punk:

I busted a driveshaft and thanked god right there on the roadside it was a driveshaft and not the tranny...........

I broke mine by putting a brand new clutch and doing the double D at the same time.

The better clutch bite combined with the OMG clutch lever effort combined for making a WOT@redline shift while having the clutch in a little too long (talking microseconds) and allowing the engine to much time alone before locking back up to the tranny...

Snapped it instantly.....

I don't even use the clutch at WOT shifts anymore (thanks Lankey) just blip the throttle slight and it goes right in....

I would never put in a heavy duty driveshaft unless I had so much HP that I had broken a few and was racing to the level where a busted transmission was just part of the cost of doing business....

The reason I started clutchless shifting was due to less of the snap effect, shaft shock, plus its faster at the track which means faster on the street. It also prevents over revs of the engine, think about it,, Your cranking the engine looking at the tach reaching 10,5 and your still WOT and now you pull the clutch in,, what do you think happens when you take the load off the engine for that hundreth of a second? EXACTLY RPMS zing up past your shift point rather than blipping the throttle..
Its common sense..

Less shaft shock and over revving and the best part its quicker...

The reason I started clutchless shifting was due to less of the snap effect, shaft shock, plus its faster at the track which means faster on the street. It also prevents over revs of the engine, think about it,, Your cranking the engine looking at the tach reaching 10,5 and your still WOT and now you pull the clutch in,, what do you think happens when you take the load off the engine for that hundreth of a second? EXACTLY RPMS zing up past your shift point rather than blipping the throttle..
Its common sense..

Less shaft shock and over revving and the best part its quicker...
SHAFT SHOCK , YEAH I HAD THAT ONCE , THE NIGHT I LOST MY VIRGINITY !:rofl_200::biglaugh::rofl_200::biglaugh:

SHAFT SHOCK , YEAH I HAD THAT ONCE , THE NIGHT I LOST MY VIRGINITY !:rofl_200::biglaugh::rofl_200::biglaugh:

I am affraid to ask but I have to know....
What were you having sex with:ummm:
Electrical wall outlet
Spark Plug Boot
Toaster Oven
Betsy the electric vibarating blow up doll?

I had a gf once, but one evening we were together and really getting hot and heavy and all of a sudden she farted and blew out the window without even saying good bye:ummm:

That was the last I seen of her....

Back