Vacuum engine

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Vacume engine

Reminds me of the vintage steam toy one of my brothers & I used to run on soild fuel bricks:
$(KGrHqR,!i4E2Kv(tE,DBNpp6v2hTQ~~_3.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.com/WILESCO-D10-TOY-STEAM-ENGINE-WORKING-CONDITION-/140539464741?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20b8ce0c25

There was a very distinctive odor from the solid fuel brick you burned to boil the H2O. This one has a ball governor and they all had a safety pressure relief valve. Remember the leggless guy who played the villain in Wild Wild West? I think it was Kevin Brannagh. He had a powered wheelchair with something similar, except his ran on coal, I think.

So when you scale that toy up, what are you gonna power with it?

Yep...it's called a Stirling engine. Been around forever. Runs off differences in heat within two chambers, expanding and cooling air force the piston back and forth. You can build one out of soda cans, a balloon, and a candle...theres a video on youtube somewhere of it.

Problem is the make absolutely squat for power. High RPM, extremely low torque. You need one the size of a closet to equal a typical lawnmower engine.

Yep...it's called a Stirling engine. Been around forever. Runs off differences in heat within two chambers, expanding and cooling air force the piston back and forth. You can build one out of soda cans, a balloon, and a candle...theres a video on youtube somewhere of it.

Problem is the make absolutely squat for power. High RPM, extremely low torque. You need one the size of a closet to equal a typical lawnmower engine.
Yeah my buddy is a machinest so this one is precision built. I know you can build them a lot simpler but this one is precision & will probably last forever.

Back