VBoost Switch Or Lever Control???

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil-3446

Reaction score
Hey Gang...

Might be a silly question :confused2:

My vboost controller has stopped working, checked the servo with the battery test and it will operate when hard wired.

Here goes...

I wanted to go with full time vboost anyway, so, my question is this.

Since I would like to run something better than the zip tie trick on the cable, could I just use a switch to turn the servo motor on and off? If anyone is doing this, where is the best place to draw current for this with the key on?

Second choice???

Has anyone ran a manual lever like a thumb throttle, but the locking type, or similar with success?

Input appreciated!

:cheers:

Neil

by the looks of the diagram, one way opens the butterflies, and the other closes them, and of course the return to center leaves it in the position that you selected.

by the looks of the diagram, one way opens the butterflies, and the other closes them, and of course the return to center leaves it in the position that you selected.

Thanks...

Just wondering, because, when I hard wired the servo motor it would open, and as soon as the power was removed it would close.

So, I guess some current is still flowing when using the 3 way switch to keep the butterflies in the position??? If I only want open or shut, would not a 2 way serve the same purpose, or would that burn up the servo motor being full on all the time???

Sorry I'm old and dense :bang head:

Neil

Is a V-boost controller THAT expensive? Personally, I'd rather fix the bike the "right" way rather than using some rigged up deal.

Not expensive at all, but, you've missed the point my friend :ummm:

Opening up the controller and fixing it myself: Free, Ebay Vboost controller: $25, Used controller from J Furbur: $140, no vboost at all and doing what I want: priceless!

After owning him for 22 years...it was time for change in a major way :biglaugh: With my new carbs and coming HMF exhaust setup, I want no more vboost...period!

Not cutting any corners here, I've spent almost $3K on him in the past 3 months, just doing what I want to Mr. Max. Not trying to be a dick...just the truth.

full_paint_01.jpg

Neil

If you're wanting it full open all of the time, just rotate the servo motor by hand.
It's geared, but it will turn.

As far as I remember about the wiring, you should be able to put power to the unit and remove it at open. I think the servo should stay put.
I wouldn't leave voltage supplied to it all of the time with a on/off switch though. Thats a continuous draw that may or may not play havoc with the stock wiring and servo motor.

And I'm glad that I'm not the only one that keeps their bike in the house :cheers:

If you're wanting it full open all of the time, just rotate the servo motor by hand.
It's geared, but it will turn.

As far as I remember about the wiring, you should be able to put power to the unit and remove it at open. I think the servo should stay put.
I wouldn't leave voltage supplied to it all of the time with a on/off switch though. Thats a continuous draw that may or may not play havoc with the stock wiring and servo motor.

And I'm glad that I'm not the only one that keeps their bike in the house :cheers:

Thanks Eatajoz...

Servo doesn't stay open when power is removed doing the hard wire test per page 359 of the service manual chapter 7. I'll get it figured out sooner or later. Furbur is trying to talk me into pulling the carbs and putting the fixed butterflies in the vboost anyway.

Just looking for an idea from the group.

Peace

PS. I have pictures around here somewhere that shows Max serving as a very nice bedside table with alarm clock and all. Keep em indoors if you care about em'!

Neil

Latest posts

Back