Vboost toggle switch

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmailley

Reaction score
So I bought a 93 Max and when I asked the guy about the toggle switch on the throttle holder he told me that 93 was the first year to put that toggle switch in. I knew he was telling a story, or as I found out later, was told that. So I figured, by the miles and the guy having the bike for 2 years and barely putting 1000 miles on it, he was afraid to hit the Vboost or even ride the monster. So in went this toggle and it's wired to what appears to be the servo that controls the boost. I just got a Haynes manual but haven't looked up the wiring yet. Think I gotta pull the toggle wires and reconnect, probably pretty simple, other than how to fill the hole drilled into the throttle holder. Anything I should be aware of as I get started?

This mod some times comes from a boost relay goin bad,then this is the back up. Check the brain before you scrap his set up. And the answer to filling the hole...(take it or leave it) is Alumaloy. Check it out on Youtube. Personally used it once and swear by it now but most people are reasonably scheptical.
You can get just a couple stick on eBay for cheap but are likely to get a new throttle housing cheaper from one of our lovely patrons here for less. Good luck, let us know how she turns out!

It's a 3000-6000 switch. Wow have to make sure it's in the 6000 position around town or I could end up in someones backseat or truck bed. Thanks guys.

This mod some times comes from a boost relay goin bad,then this is the back up. Check the brain before you scrap his set up. And the answer to filling the hole...(take it or leave it) is Alumaloy. Check it out on Youtube. Personally used it once and swear by it now but most people are reasonably scheptical.
You can get just a couple stick on eBay for cheap but are likely to get a new throttle housing cheaper from one of our lovely patrons here for less. Good luck, let us know how she turns out!

I've had mixed results with alumaloy.

I bought some and tried it a couple times. I was able to repair a water pump cover on my CR5 with it. Its been holding up for over a year now.

I tried to reattach an anchoring post on a piece of aluminum trim a couple months ago with no luck. It just would not stick.

I just tried to use it again last week and had ZERO luck with it. Not sure what the deal is though. I was using it on a KX125 rear wheel hub. One of the sprocket mounting tabs was completely broken off. I cleaned the area really well with brake clean and a small wire wheel on my dremel. I heated the hell out of it with my torch. It was so hot that the grease was boiling out of the bearings. The alumaloy rod still would not melt. I kept the heat on for awhile longer and I did get it to start flowing. I built the area up with the rod. It looked like hell but I figured I could dress it with a grinder and files.

I was skeptical of the repair so I tested its strength with a small tap of my hammer. The whole chunk fell right off. :bang head:

I gave up and built a form out of thin sheetmetal and poured a ton of JB weld in. Seems like the JB may hold up. Its been curing for a couple days now. I gotta dress it up and give it a stress test.

I'm open for any tips you may have on using the alumaloy.

Back