Venture/Max motor/transmission

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toolman

Reaction score
Hey Guys/Gals

I have a 1200 Venture motor with a bad transmission. It will be going back in my 85 Max. I purchased the motor for a very reasonable price and I had a Max that needed a motor so they were married. The motor runs well with Max carbs under jetted, V Boost and a stock Max exhaust.

The problem is 2nd gear is starting to skip. The motor is out with cases split. Now I have to decide between a Max or 1300 Venture transmission.

Soooo Has anyone else in this group run a Venture with a Max transmission setup? How did it run?
I know the red line will still be 8500 rpm. and I have the choice of a Max or Venture rear end.

Your thoughts gentlemen please.

TIA

I think that the usual ideal setup is the V-Max 1-4 and the Venture 5th. Still gives you the brute acceleration but a more subtle overdrive. Swap the heads from the Max to the Venture engine (if possible) will give you back the HP. Sean had a 1300 powered V-Max that was otherwise stock (if I remember) pull 130hp at the last Topeka dyno day. The rear end is entirely your choice. The Max diff will give you more low end and the Venture would give you less cruising RPMs. I say go with the Venture 5th gear and the Max rear end first, and then swap out if its still running higher than you want at speed.

the venture fifth will barely lower the rpms so not a real advantage with it. Also, by using it you have to use the venture 2nd since it engages with fifth. The reason that is needed is due to the type of engagement dogs on it. So you need to either use the entire vmax trans or the entire venture trans. We modify royal star fifth gears to fit onto vmax transmissions. You can change a venture to close to vmax specs by changing the 5th gears and the 2-3 main gear.

the 1200 is close but compression will be lower. If you swap over all your vmax top end stuff (heads up) you would have a decent running engine that is just a little weaker. It does have the recal type trans in it. Also, the venture 1300's have that same weaker type trans but we have beat them up and they hold up reasonably.

Sean

Sean, when you talk about using the Venture or Royal Star fifth gear, which one exactly are you using, what ratio? The early Ventures up to '93 have a .906 fifth gear, the '99 and newer RSV Ventures have a .786, and the '96 - '01 Royal Stars have a .750. I've searched around and haven't come across anywhere that you've mentioned this.

99 Royal Star - the part number is very similar to the stock vmax number. Though the gears do bolt on and have worked for me in the past we no longer suggest to just bolt them on. When I sell that upgrade to a trans job we recut the gear dogs to better match the vmax pattern.

Sean

Hey Guys/Gals

I have a 1200 Venture motor with a bad transmission. It will be going back in my 85 Max. I purchased the motor for a very reasonable price and I had a Max that needed a motor so they were married. The motor runs well with Max carbs under jetted, V Boost and a stock Max exhaust.

The problem is 2nd gear is starting to skip. The motor is out with cases split. Now I have to decide between a Max or 1300 Venture transmission.

Soooo Has anyone else in this group run a Venture with a Max transmission setup? How did it run? I have the venture 1300, with the Max heads and cams and with the max transmission and the royal star 5th. It runs like a raped ape :biglaugh: It did pull 130/82 in topeka :eusa_dance: and that was brand new.
I know the red line will still be 8500 rpm. and I have the choice of a Max or Venture rear end. My redline is still 9500 and I have the Max rear end. Like said earlier it runs hard 1-4 then 5th is sweet cruising!!!

Your thoughts gentlemen please.

TIA

Cheers

Latest posts

Back