VGAS carbs

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Rusty for the info, yea I know that UFO guy is gone, what I dont understand, why people keep bugging him.

What I need to know is vgas carbs really better then stock one, I understand that there is no filtration on the bike with this setup and this is the main problem with it, in long time it will affect the engine if its going to be run like that, and is there any filter setup for the UFO ram air scoops, if I go with this setup I will definitely order UFO scoops.

Do I really need big bore to run Vgas? People keep saying that is not recommended running them on stock bike, I know I need full exhaust, but is there more to have to be done?

guys with Vgas setup please comment. Is there any step by step build thread about vgas?

Thanks Rusty for the info, yea I know that UFO guy is gone, what I dont understand, why people keep bugging him.

What I need to know is vgas carbs really better then stock one, I understand that there is no filtration on the bike with this setup and this is the main problem with it, in long time it will affect the engine if its going to be run like that, and is there any filter setup for the UFO ram air scoops, if I go with this setup I will definitely order UFO scoops.

Do I really need big bore to run Vgas? People keep saying that is not recommended running them on stock bike, I know I need full exhaust, but is there more to have to be done?

guys with Vgas setup please comment. Is there any step by step build thread about vgas?

No build thread on here for Vgas.

Plenty of guys run these carbs on a stock bore

I believe filters are available to fit inside the vgas scoops.

I never rode a bike with Vgas so, I can't comment on performance or which is better. I have no first hand experience.

By the time you add filters you negate most of the so called power increase.

No build thread on here for Vgas.

Plenty of guys run these carbs on a stock bore

I believe filters are available to fit inside the vgas scoops.

I never rode a bike with Vgas so, I can't comment on performance or which is better. I have no first hand experience.

My last Gen 1 had VGas.....i didn't install it, the previous owner did. It ran good, and made 123 HP and 80 LBS. of TQ on PCW's dyno. It had a full race Kerker pipe and can. That was with UNI filters installed, without them it made 128 HP.....but I always rode it with filters in place. Great midrange response (like with all flatslides) but also had the bog if you cracked the throttle wide open at low rpms. After a while your wrist gets calibrated to roll on the throttle just right to get the best acceleration.

I definitely liked the looks and sound.....it got a lot of attention.

I don't think much of the UFO ram air.....it's a gimmick IMO. Ram air on a bike usually has little to no effect unless you are running around 100 MPH.....and that's on a system that is well engineered and tested like what comes from the factory on a Hayabusa.

So this carbs are just for looks? If they make around 125hp, Morley carb kit makes pretty same horsepower if not more, correct me if im wrong:ummm:

So this carbs are just for looks? If they make around 125hp, Morley carb kit makes pretty same horsepower if not more, correct me if im wrong:ummm:

From what I understand Seans kit can get very close to those numbers. I think the flatslides might have a little better midrange. And the throttle response is awesome.....once you are rolling.

I think my bike would have done better by losing the UNI filters. They are foam and very restrictive. K&N's would get some of that 5 HP back.

DSCN0653.jpg

Well, they aren't just for looks; the scoops on you bike are just for looks. They do what they are designed to do, they meter fuel. As they are pointed out into clean air the argument could be made that they are free'er flowing then the same carb not angled out (then again there is an argument to be made that the velocity stacks aren't angled into the wind and there for the air rushing past at speed creates a low pressure vacuum at the base of the stack actually robbing air from the carb).

Six of one half a dozen another. The real issue is what your end vision of YOUR Vmax is. They will work on your bike. How well depends on a number of factors. If you plan on ending up on a massive motored venom spitting beast all about bragging rights and visual appeal then they might be the only carbs for you. If you have a basically stock bike and the idea of spending 20k on a 5k bike makes your lunch come up, then this isn't a magic bullet you're looking for. I think it has been shown a number of times that the vast majority of stock to moderately modded bikes would be better off with Morley's Jet kit. While the POTENTIAL of the VGAS system there, unlocking it might be a bit more then the average rider's willpower or pocket book is able to support.

Is it better then stock? Yes. Is it better then the outrageously cheaper Morley jet kit? Not unless you have a severely worked motor with huge cams and head work that is supported by a free flowing full exhaust system. Sean, correct me if I'm getting this wrong, but didn't you say that a 1428cc motor made better numbers with your jet kit then flat sides (this is on a smaller cam that couldn't take advantage of the greater flow of a flat side carb).

In any case, neither can be thought of as a stand alone mod, pointless without a full exhaust system.

find the post Where Jim (Thevmaxrider) had his 1428 built. PCW built two identical engines at that time. His 1428 with our kit made more power then the other 1428 with vgas

find the post Where Jim (Thevmaxrider) had his 1428 built. PCW built two identical engines at that time. His 1428 with our kit made more power then the other 1428 with vgas

They were both run with filters on I'm assuming?

I'm not surprised because you need to get air into the engine and your kit from the looks of it, can really do that with all the filter area. I like it a lot.

As someone else mentioned the stacks on the VGas being out in the air stream is a problem at high speeds. My bike fell on it's face at the track badly, when I was near the top of 4th gear. I had switched over to the open stacks at the track just to race. When I put the filters back on the bike ran perfectly.

Well, they aren't just for looks; the scoops on you bike are just for looks. They do what they are designed to do, they meter fuel. As they are pointed out into clean air the argument could be made that they are free'er flowing then the same carb not angled out (then again there is an argument to be made that the velocity stacks aren't angled into the wind and there for the air rushing past at speed creates a low pressure vacuum at the base of the stack actually robbing air from the carb).

Six of one half a dozen another. The real issue is what your end vision of YOUR Vmax is. They will work on your bike. How well depends on a number of factors. If you plan on ending up on a massive motored venom spitting beast all about bragging rights and visual appeal then they might be the only carbs for you. If you have a basically stock bike and the idea of spending 20k on a 5k bike makes your lunch come up, then this isn't a magic bullet you're looking for. I think it has been shown a number of times that the vast majority of stock to moderately modded bikes would be better off with Morley's Jet kit. While the POTENTIAL of the VGAS system there, unlocking it might be a bit more then the average rider's willpower or pocket book is able to support.

Is it better then stock? Yes. Is it better then the outrageously cheaper Morley jet kit? Not unless you have a severely worked motor with huge cams and head work that is supported by a free flowing full exhaust system. Sean, correct me if I'm getting this wrong, but didn't you say that a 1428cc motor made better numbers with your jet kit then flat sides (this is on a smaller cam that couldn't take advantage of the greater flow of a flat side carb).

In any case, neither can be thought of as a stand alone mod, pointless without a full exhaust system.

ThankYou Blurr for your input, this is the answer I was looking for!

I am not looking to do internal mods to the motor at this time, but I will go with full exhaust, and I really like the functional scoops from ufo for the vgas carbs.

I have start this thread becouse I find complete ufo vgas carbs for $1k with 2k miles in them.

I seen them before on ufo Web page but $2000 price was just to much for them, and $1k for the scoops that was overpriced for me.

Now that I have find them for $1k in perfect condition that may be a good deal.
Other thing I was thinking to set fuel cell in place of the air box with vgas setup to get me extra 1or 2 gallons of fuel.

I Think now that Sean kit will be better option for the hp on stock bike with exhaust, but on the other side it cant beet the vgas and scops look. I will have to deside wich way to go, looks, hp and empty pocket, or hp with extra chash to spend and great bike anyway:punk:

You can't go wrong with Seans kit and leaves you with money for the full exhaust thats for sure.

Latest posts

Back