VMax/1st Gen-2nd gen Venture Hybrid

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dingy

Reaction score
Have made a little progress this week with winter project.

Made a stand that will be used to temporarily support frame during initial motor fitment and suspension work. It's not pretty but will only be used for this phase..

I have an old 1200 block setting in frame at this point to see where major obstacles will be in putting a 1st gen Venture/VMax motor into the RSV frame. Motor fits the six mount points that the 1st gen uses in the 2003 2nd Gen (RSV) frame. The front head brackets will not be used. I have a set of VMax heads for this project that will be on a modified 1300 block.

I don't think a v-boost system will be possible with this setup due to the use of the RSV fuel tank & air intake components. I don't think the taller V-boost setup has a chance of fitting. Considering nitrous to use in place of the V-boost for that snap at about 6k rpm's.

Rear exhaust down tubes look to be usable with very little modification. Front down tubes are going to be a challenge. The front motor mount bracket will need some modification to allow the front tubes to pass bracket.

Seriously considering using a 1st gen MKII Venture front end I have instead of the RSV front end. The RSV unit is massive compared to a 1st gen unit. I don't have the wheels for the RSV, so I want to use a set of VMax wheels on this. The fork spread is over an inch wider than the 1st gen which would make the use of the VMax wheels improbable. I have tried the 1st gen triple tree in the RSV frame and it matches what is needed. I like the styling of the RSV fender more than the 1st gen, but It may not get used. I think I can mount the RSV handlebars & controls on the 1st gen upper tree bracket with minimal modification. I will have to set tank on frame to see if there will be a clearance issue with this change.

Bike will be a single seater with no fairing, saddle bags etc. Minimal instrumentation, no radio. Looking at a VMax instrument pod & speedometer. Have a VMax final drive for it.

Last picture is the RSV donor bike I got the parts from. I didn't get whole bike, just stuff I wanted.

Gary

Attachments

• IMG_3932.jpg
    IMG_3932.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_3948.jpg
    IMG_3948.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_3951.jpg
    IMG_3951.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_3945.jpg
    IMG_3945.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_3583.jpg
    IMG_3583.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 98
  • Blandford-Blenheim-20120926-00021.jpg
    Blandford-Blenheim-20120926-00021.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_3943.jpg
    IMG_3943.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 108
:clapping:
can see taht your project is going on the right way

I`m doing one to (1986 RSV going naked)

Thumb`s up

:clapping:
can see taht your project is going on the right way

I`m doing one to (1986 RSV going naked)

Thumb`s up

The 1986-1993, and some 84-85 models was called a Venture Royale, the term RSV is Royal Star Venture, which was what the 2nd gen Ventures where officially named. (1999-present). Might help avoid confusion if you are looking for parts.

Gary

Well, i`m loosing myself in the ID of ventures:bang head:
look that link at my 1986 and tell me wich one it is:ummm:

http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=67&u=11018832

regards:punk:

It is an 86-93 Venture Royale. (1st gen MKII) Only change was color options from 86-89. 1990 to 1993 went to single pickup coil with no obvious exterior change other than colors.

MKI's were 83-85, MKII's were 86-93.

Main obvious change from MKI to MKII was side luggage has top entry on MKII's, much larger capacity. MKII's went to 1300cc, quad piston calipers, different headlight surround along with many other smaller changes.

Gary

Have made a little progress this week with winter project.

Made a stand that will be used to temporarily support frame during initial motor fitment and suspension work. It's not pretty but will only be used for this phase..

I have an old 1200 block setting in frame at this point to see where major obstacles will be in putting a 1st gen Venture/VMax motor into the RSV frame. Motor fits the six mount points that the 1st gen uses in the 2003 2nd Gen (RSV) frame. The front head brackets will not be used. I have a set of VMax heads for this project that will be on a modified 1300 block.

I don't think a v-boost system will be possible with this setup due to the use of the RSV fuel tank & air intake components. I don't think the taller V-boost setup has a chance of fitting. Considering nitrous to use in place of the V-boost for that snap at about 6k rpm's.

Rear exhaust down tubes look to be usable with very little modification. Front down tubes are going to be a challenge. The front motor mount bracket will need some modification to allow the front tubes to pass bracket.

Seriously considering using a 1st gen MKII Venture front end I have instead of the RSV front end. The RSV unit is massive compared to a 1st gen unit. I don't have the wheels for the RSV, so I want to use a set of VMax wheels on this. The fork spread is over an inch wider than the 1st gen which would make the use of the VMax wheels improbable. I have tried the 1st gen triple tree in the RSV frame and it matches what is needed. I like the styling of the RSV fender more than the 1st gen, but It may not get used. I think I can mount the RSV handlebars & controls on the 1st gen upper tree bracket with minimal modification. I will have to set tank on frame to see if there will be a clearance issue with this change.

Bike will be a single seater with no fairing, saddle bags etc. Minimal instrumentation, no radio. Looking at a VMax instrument pod & speedometer. Have a VMax final drive for it.

Last picture is the RSV donor bike I got the parts from. I didn't get whole bike, just stuff I wanted.

Gary

Where will be your air box and the end ?
My project dose`nt live to much room under faux/tank i`m thinking about removing air box :ummm: to go with pod:ummm: or something else
Maybe you can info/my mod monkey:punk:

Where will be your air box and the end ?
My project dose`nt live to much room under faux/tank i`m thinking about removing air box :ummm: to go with pod:ummm: or something else
Maybe you can info/my mod monkey:punk:

Pictures attached of the RSV intake system. Stuff isn't at correct angles, but should show what is done on bike.

The RSV has large knee fairings that the front intakes are behind. Next to last picture shows the carb portion with one upside down. Last picture shows intakes on an RSV.

Gary

Attachments

• IMG_3964.jpg
    IMG_3964.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 1531 crop.jpg
    1531 crop.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_3963.jpg
    IMG_3963.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3962.jpg
    IMG_3962.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3961.jpg
    IMG_3961.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_3960.jpg
    IMG_3960.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3959.jpg
    IMG_3959.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 23
Your project reminds me of a custom build in Motorcycle Cruiser magazine.

Not sure if you seen this article or not.

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/tech/custom_batman_yamaha_royal_star/

Mike

Very similar, but this one was based on a Royal Star Tour Deluxe (RSTD).

RSTD's were very underpowered, 28mm carbs 10:1 compression. They were a less bulky looking bike. Made from 96-01.

The exhaust pipes may be option, but they were 4 into 4, which kills power by itself. The RSV had 4 into 2, but tied right side together & left side together separate, which is not optimal. The RSV's have quite different heads, with angled exhaust ports to outboard. Front heads attach to frame for bracing. VMax cams can be put in either one which helps some.

Front wheel on RSV & RSTD is huge, 150-80-16, not much smaller than rear.

Very nice bike, this has been mentioned numerous times on Venturerider.org site.

Gary

Few more pictures of parts setting on bike to help me get an idea what I have here.

Front end is from an 86 1st gen Venture.

Wheels are from a 2005 VMax.

Major 2 hurdles are front exhaust tubes and an air cleaner setup that is a tad smaller than the RSV stock unit, shown setting on lift in couple of pictures.

Gary

Attachments

• IMG_4019.jpg
    IMG_4019.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_4021.jpg
    IMG_4021.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_4022.jpg
    IMG_4022.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4023.jpg
    IMG_4023.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4025.jpg
    IMG_4025.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_4026.jpg
    IMG_4026.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4027.jpg
    IMG_4027.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_4029.jpg
    IMG_4029.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3961.jpg
    IMG_3961.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3964.jpg
    IMG_3964.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 19
Looking pretty wild. Why would you go with the 80's era front end though? Wouldn't you want the minor improvements of the 05's fork setup?

2nd gen 2003 Royal Star Venture forks are a LOT heavier than the 1st gen forks. They are 8 1/8" wide at axle inner points, this is almost 2" wider than 1st gen. This bike used a front tire almost the same size as the rear. Big and Fugly.

It does cause me not to be able to use the front fender from the RSV, it had styling more like I wanted.

Gary

Back