VMAX Buzzing - won't start

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NhaTrang

Reaction score
Hi all,

When I attempt to start my vmax, it makes a buzzing sound around the area above the battery and will not start. The battery is fully charged. When turning the lights on and attempting to crank the bike, the voltage drops to 8v to 11v. With no load, it goes back to 13v.

I've charged by bike a few times already on a fast charger, so now I am thinking Ive fried by battery. I took the battery to advance auto and had them slow charge overnight. Today they tested the battery to be good. I installed the battery in the bike with the same results. This time it makes a much fainter buzzing sound, the lights are also dimmer.

Do I have a battery problem or something worse? Any thoughts?

Thanks

Your battery is screwed.
It doesn't have enough amps to start the bike. Jump it to a non-running car to make sure, but I bet the battery is gone.

Thanks for the fast response, I will give this a shot tomorrow when I get my hands on some cables.

If they load tested your battery - to be good - then I'd think you have other worries than a bad battery. Before you go replacing the batt, try jumper cables from another vehicle nearby and see if it helps.

Otherwise, there could be foul connections of some sort between your battery and the starter, or bad selenoid switch????????

a bad solenoid is what i'm thinking, take it from me. I've been through 2 of them since i got it last august. When my starter crapped out it would just buzz, a really electric sound.

Usually the solenoid only buzzes if the battery is really, really flat, to the point the headlight would be really dim. Otherwise it would "try" to turn the engine over and just stop. If you load test the battery and it's fine, then that's not the problem.

Probably a bad solenoid. It's the little round thing between the two rear coils, it sits in a rubber grommet above the battery.

Still waiting to borrow cables from a friend. But I found out that advance auto did not load test it. They just hooked it on a charger and saw the light turn green the next day and thought everything was ok; no testing or printout whatsoever.

Take your battery OUT & try to jump it from another vehicle with cable connected only. A shorted battery will sometimes screw up a jump start because it draws too much current. If it will start from another vehicle with your vmax battery totally OUT of the loop, your battery is shorted. Check out the Battery Thread in the Stickys - you can expand your stock battery box to accept a much more common battery.

When you get the bike running, check the voltage at the battery. It should be around 13.5 to 14 volts. If it isn't then you have a charging issue too.

Just wanted to give an update.

The voltage checks out fine, but the Amps are too low when loaded. Battery checked out to be bad. I will be getting one of those maintenance free battery that is recommended on vmaxoutlaw.

Just wanted to give an update.

The voltage checks out fine, but the Amps are too low when loaded. Battery checked out to be bad. I will be getting one of those maintenance free battery that is recommended on vmaxoutlaw.

I have the Panasonic and have had for 4 years with NO issues. It's less expensive than the Odyssey too.

Have any of you guys tried the SpeedCell batteries? I am running them in my bikes, tiny, lightweight but big power and they last forever!

final update. Just received my battery from apex and installed it on the VMAX today. It started up like a champ. feels great to ride it again after a few long weeks.
thanks all for the input.

I have an 89 vmax, I came out this morning and it didn't turn over at all, not even a clicking noise. I tested the battery which is new and it was A ok. I'm starting to think its the starter relay, anyone have any opinions??

I have an 89 vmax, I came out this morning and it didn't turn over at all, not even a clicking noise. I tested the battery which is new and it was A ok. I'm starting to think its the starter relay, anyone have any opinions??

Maybe just a loose connection? With the ignition switch on, does the headlight come on? Does the horn work, if so, does it sound as loud as usual?

Always check your killswitch and the starter button first, they can go wrong.

Also, when you turn the key, do you get lights on the dashboard, and headlight/rear light/blinkers etc working?

Back