VMax fuel mileage

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like Kyle said it's all about having fun. When the red light comes on I ride a little different, but have enough gas to usually find a station. Sometimes I get 85 miles to a tank, but can also get 130. It's all in the wrist.
Steve-o

MY fuel light works now. i did change the seloniod that goes inside the tank.
my old one would not light the light even when grounding it out. had a spare so i hooked it up. grounding it out made the light come on. bingo problem solved right. well my new selonid has been sitting in a dry tank for a couple of years. but after running 2 tanks of fuel. and resetting the odometer so i knew my safe zone. last night i'm out with the boys. while one of my buddies keeps doing rolling burners on his stock 99 busa. i let him pull up next to me. and i just had too. open up a can of vmax. and smoke some life off my tire. after leaving a 20 ft black snake on the road. i notice a red light on my cluster.
i'm thinking wtf. oil? then i noticed it was my low fuel light.and about a block or 2 later.
my bike stumbles a lil. so i switched to reserve. and it ran great all the way to a gas station. my light came on at 78 miles. is that bad?

I've never worried about mpg either, I did get a little pissy with a bike that wouldn't make 100 miles on a tank, which is annoying on trips. That won't bother me with the VMax, I probably won't go far on it, its my local HotRod.
I just hope to ride it some day. Had it 2 months and haven't made 10 miles on it, been torn down in the garage since I got it.

Having a Vmax for milage is like being married to a model & not having sex ! Have fun with it & screw the milage.
That's exactly right.
I get about 25-28 MPG when riding alone or with other VMaxes.
I get about 35-37 MPG when riding with my buddies that own Harley's. :)

Last edited:
i have 120 miles on my trip meter and fuel light hasnt came on yet. noticed my mileage went up after oil change. was coming on at 110

How many times do you romp on it around town? Just a quick 1-2 bit of fun? Now when youre on the highway, how often are you laying into it? I usually play at lower speeds.....these bikes dont handle like sportbikes and personally I dont feel comfortable much over 120 on mine with all the susp/wheels mods. Not saying I dont do it, just a little bit more hyper vigilant and anxious than I was on my sportbikes that I've been up to 185 on....... regardless I find that I do a lot more hard accelerations while just playing around town than I do on the highway. I used to get 30 city 40ish hwy if I was nice, now with my supercharged max, I'm lucky if I get 19. ugh......:bang head: Shes' running super fat at cruising speeds though....someday I'll throw some different jets in there........can prob get it to 24-25 hopefully?:confused2:

I have been averaging 33 per gal in the city... Reserve light comes on around 99 miles...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

100% bone stock and I average around 43 mpg.

Only time I ever get into the high 30s mpg is when I'm bucking a stiff headwind on a trip.

I've had two bikes.
An '07 I put 26,000 on before I totaled it (long story)
And an '06 I currently have put 7,000 on
The '07 averaged 37.0 mpg (ranged from 25 to 46) over all kinds of driving, including racing a cop (totally by mistake) at 112....... and a few runs at 130+
The '06 is running an average of 37.7 (ranged from 31.5 to 45) so far.
As has been mentioned, it's partly in the wrist but also in the oil, carb sync, and etc.
:)

I just got a 1991 and it seems all stock. I am averaging 18/20 MPG. This sounds too low. The bike smells like gas.

I just got a 1991 and it seems all stock. I am averaging 18/20 MPG. This sounds too low. The bike smells like gas.

Are the brass plugs still in your carbs just below the round slide covers? If they are, then the A/F screws have most likely not been tampered with. You might have some bad gas, improperly gapped plugs, a sticky float, or a blocked air passage somewhere. 20 is really low. I was getting that when my pilot jets were clogging up with junk from bad fuel. I'd drain the float bowls into a glass to see if you have any junk floating around in there. Also run a bit of Seafoam for a couple tanks to see if that clears anything up.

If operation above 3500 is required for better fuel mileage, I will have to reconsider my thoughts about installing a Venture pumpkin, which by all accounts lowers the rpm by 500, in all gears.
I usually travel at legal speeds - 100-120 kph - in 5th gear. I would have thought that a Venture pumpkin would IMPROVE mileage. Comments from those with the Venture mod.????????????? Cheers

Hey Miles,

Here are the #'s on MPG I always got before and after the Venture pumpkin.

'03 model...Focker exhaust...40 slow jets...147.5 main jets...K&N or Hi-Flo air filter (bike didn't care which it was)...wet float level kept at spec...carbs kept synched...pilot screws at 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 turns (whatever that cylinder wanted for best idle quality)...I have always ridden solo and I weigh around 160-165 lbs. ...stock final drive

I always averaged between 42-47 MPG with that set-up. The lower end being when we were having fun in the mountains and the curves.

I rode 2 yrs. on the Venture pumpkin and my average went up to 45-52 MPG. The best I ever got with the Venture pumpkin was 56.9 MPG but I was purposefully riding easy and I tucked in my legs and as much of my body as I could get behind the NationalCycle Switchblade Deflector shield that I had on my bike to reduce wind drag. I was on a major Interstate with a posted limit of 65 MPH and I was running at 65 indicated and nobody was passing me so I don't know what the actual was.

I did not like the extra shifting involved with the Venture pumpkin when we rode in the mountains and foothills (and 95% of our riding is in the mountains and foothills with the other 5% being getting there). It was nice on flatter highways because the engine was so relaxed and most times sounded like it was just above an idle (even though the tach indicated otherwise).

After viewing videos that members post on the forum it is obvious that I don't ride as hard as most in a straight line but rather save mine for the curves (that's where the most fun has always been for me).

My '03 burned up in a shop fire back in April of this year. I just bought an '06 to replace it so it will be interesting to see if I can tune it to give me the same results.

John

Are the brass plugs still in your carbs just below the round slide covers? If they are, then the A/F screws have most likely not been tampered with. You might have some bad gas, improperly gapped plugs, a sticky float, or a blocked air passage somewhere. 20 is really low. I was getting that when my pilot jets were clogging up with junk from bad fuel. I'd drain the float bowls into a glass to see if you have any junk floating around in there. Also run a bit of Seafoam for a couple tanks to see if that clears anything up.
Plugs are not there. I am pretty sure the guy before me played with it. I already went through two cans of seafoam in the past couple of weeks. I'm afraid to touch those screws and I don't know anyone in NYC who knows VMax bikes. Two mechanics I went too want to take my engine apart. I'm kinda afraid of that in terms of cost and results.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Plugs are not there. I am pretty sure the guy before me played with it. I already went through two cans of seafoam in the past couple of weeks. I'm afraid to touch those screws and I don't know anyone in NYC who knows VMax bikes. Two mechanics I went too want to take my engine apart. I'm kinda afraid of that in terms of cost and results.

First thing to do, is to get some PB blaster, spray in those holes....and WALK AWAY. Let the pb blaster do its job and come back in a couple of hours. Find a screw driver that fits.....and screw all of the screws in (turn to the right) and count the number of turns. If the screws were somewhere between 2-3 turns.....they are probably ok.....and your issue is somewhere else. If not.....turn them to 2.5 turns out.....and see how the bike runs.

First thing to do, is to get some PB blaster, spray in those holes....and WALK AWAY. Let the pb blaster do its job and come back in a couple of hours. Find a screw driver that fits.....and screw all of the screws in (turn to the right) and count the number of turns. If the screws were somewhere between 2-3 turns.....they are probably ok.....and your issue is somewhere else. If not.....turn them to 2.5 turns out.....and see how the bike runs.
Ok . Thanks for the info. Will try it this week.

Finally got to it the other day. The screws were opened between 4 and 4.5 turns.

I opened them to 2.5 and there was a huge drop in the torque. The bike ran fine but with a lot less power. Opened 0.5 turn more keeping them at 3 turns each and there was a significant increase in power.

Current mileage is 38 highway and 18 city.

Finally got to it the other day. The screws were opened between 4 and 4.5 turns.

I opened them to 2.5 and there was a huge drop in the torque. The bike ran fine but with a lot less power. Opened 0.5 turn more keeping them at 3 turns each and there was a significant increase in power.

Current mileage is 38 highway and 18 city.

Good deal- sounds like you got it.

Back