vmax powered sand drag Banshee.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1200ccBanshee

Reaction score
Hey guys, Noob here.

Geez where do I start. I am a custom fabricator and builder of Jeep's and Banshee's for my Hobbies, and I am a Millwright by trade for Weyerhaeuser Lumber.

So here is the skinny. I have always wanted to build a custom sand drag bike with a street bike motor in it. Well I just so happened across a almost rolling banshee chassis on one day and the next a vmax motor. The motor is in need of re building. It came out of a friends bike. It started to make a noise that I think is a rod bearing. He shut it down imediatly. Later to find out the bike had been wrecked so he bought a newer vmax, and I got the motor and everything needed to convert to my creation.

That being said, I can find all kinds of info of people using R1, or hyabusa motors but I'm gonna dare to be different. So it wont be easy.

First things first. I'm gonna need to do a sprocket conversion. I will be tearing this motor down soon to split the cases and get down to the trans. I will be taking pics and posting as I go. I hope this build is ok here on your guys forum.

I have little knowlege of the vmax motor. There is a few things I do know. They were the fastest production bike on the maket for a very long time. They have tons of power and torque, and they sound awesome! Nothing else quite like it. So I hope you guys can help point me in the right direction from time to time, or just give a little feed back on this idea/build.

Thanks

This is what I'm starting with.

2382cc19.jpg

7e6b431e.jpg

Here is my current bike. 421cc 4mill stroker.

27b8cc93.jpg

32f7e2b8.jpg

Greetings.

You'll for sure have fun with your new project. BUT, I think I should post up some general knowledge for you that might be helpful.

When the cranks spin a bearing on these engines it almost always wipes out the crankshaft thrust journal. This is a machined surface on these engines with NO replaceable bearing like other manufacturers use. So, you either have to repair the block or get another one. In most cases it's cheaper to get another. The cranks can also be repaired but again a good block with good crank and rods is cheaper. You'll need to get the block apart and see if you got lucky. The thrust section you are looking for is in the upper half of the engine.

Typically when we get a customer with this situation we end up selling them a good 1300 core engine and use the Vmax parts on it. Gets them another 100cc's and less money then fixing their old engine (which we can do if you really want to keep that block).

There are a number of ways to do a chain drive conversion and we have some pics on our facebook site showing that. We can also supply you with those parts if desired. I would also suggest an undercut transmission to handle the abuse you will inevitably put it through. Other suggest parts will be the HD oiling and you'll for sure need solid motor mounts to hold the engine firmly in place so the chain won't climb off it.

The sportbike engines make more power and are lighter but they don't sound like the Vmax. Plus the sportbike engines are more durable and generally cheaper. So, they do have the big advantage from a cost standpoint. BUT, again it's always neat to do something different.

They were also only the fastest production bike for the first year (85). They were however the fastest "cruiser" until the new gen 2's came out in 2009.

We have a Honda Odyssey chassis we were going to do the Vmax engine in but decided to do a 600 sportbike engine. I have a dune buggy chassis we still plan to twin engine at some point.

On a side note, I do have a couple of chain drive engine's available and one that is a partial engine that might be perfect for your project. It's had the block milled for more compression and a lot of other things done. We could sell it as the crank, block, rods, pistons, as well as the trans modified. The other is a bit of overkill as it's an all out nitrous drag bike engine. BUT, if you are wanting to really get serious then it's something to consider. You'll find out very quickly though that these engines are NOT cheap to build.

Sean

Wow! If you do go through with this project keep this thread alive and post your progress! I'd be interested in following it.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Sounds like a really cool project. I was going to suggest you contact Sean (one2dmax) but he already replied above :) I'd take Sean's advise with regards to any vmax engine, some say he might know what he is talking about, lol.

Sean,

The next time you get one open that has the dreaded spun bearing , crankshaft thrust journal issue , could you take a few pictures to indentify , or has it already been done & documented in an old thread ?

I think I have it pictured in the FB albums. Including an additional oiling hole that can be added for future builds.

A VMax powered quad would be so awesome! I was imagining it a few days ago, and it kicked so much Ass.

I have a friend who drags races and has alot of knowledge on this his name is Matt Price he and would steer you in the right direction , his current quad is a raptor alcohol injected snowmobile motor with nitro. If you want i can put you in touch with him.

Wow! Thanks for all the info and support guys! First order of business is to split the cases and do a damage assessment. I guess my buddy that owned the bike had just done an oil change before he had the engine make noise. A local bike shop told him to check the oil for bronze flakes. That's what he found. I'm hoping my cases and crank are not junk. I guess we'll see. I'll get some detailed pics posted during tear down.

I'm just down here in Vancouver, not much help with the custom build.

But I know my way aroud the Vmax carbs pretty well. Sync, rejet, clean, etc.

Awesome project ! I had 2 banshees years ago and regret selling them both. They are awesome quads if you want to go 2 stroke

Back