VMAX running rich, stage1 kit

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys, I have a basket-o-goodies coming from Sean and I'm sure I'll have my hands full dialing it in again but at least now I have a clue and some experience. I decided to buy all the Morleys stuff this time and the sniffer next month.

I really do need a rev limiter or shift light if this is any example of whats to come, the genie is out of the lantern now.

Thanks guys, I have a basket-o-goodies coming from Sean and I'm sure I'll have my hands full dialing it in again but at least now I have a clue and some experience. I decided to buy all the Morleys stuff this time and the sniffer next month.

I really do need a rev limiter or shift light if this is any example of whats to come, the genie is out of the lantern now.

I have both.....but I actually did the rev limiter first, because even if you have a shift light, and you miss, you will over rev. Good news, a shift light, especially one used, isnt that expensive. Bad news....a rev limiter is fairly expensive, because as far as I know, they ONLY come in an ignition system, so either the dyna or the ignitech.

On a positive note....the ignitech WILL control the vboost as well. hey, I'm a good friend...only trying to spend a little bit of your money...lol.

The Raptor looks nice, and LED bright wont hurt. I'm afraid I'll end up having to buy a brain for it and get a rev limiter, I know my vboost fix is probably not permanent so it would be good for both issues. It only makes sense because it pull hard all the way up to redline so it would be easy to over rev going by feel alone. I'll add shift light and brain to the short list.

Update:

I got the box-o-goodies from Sean.

I installed the air correctors, Filtered airbox lid, drilled the slides and insalled the stage 7 needles (3rd clip, no shims) and stage 1/7 springs. I left the stock air jet and 147.5 mains in place. I definitely picked up some mid-range torque and top is stronger to. Under spirited acceleration it sounds violent and angry, the scowl I hear through the airbox probably tricks the assdyno some. When I say the midrange is stronger I accounted for that extra sweet growl. It definately pulls harder from around 3500 to 6000, but feels stronger to redline as well.

I'm usually in 5th gear if over 35mph unless I'm being spirited. A roll on at that speed is stronger than before, it's seamless and pretty linear up into vboost, we all know what happens then.

So I road tested myself right up Rimrock scenic highway onto 385 to Sugar Shack for a world class burger. On the way back it occurred to me to pull the 2500rpm 4th and 5th gear whack the throttle wide open test. Of course in the upper gears it does not pull very hard at all until it hits around 4k. What I did get was a little stumble at around 3600-4000k, it's very slight and only for a second. In lower gears it rips through too fast too see any problem. This is not a problem in normal or spirited riding, only if I peg the throttle in high bear from low RPM do I see it. As a symptom itself it is a non-issue but I know it means something about my tune. Until I get a sniffer it might be hard to tell where adjustments are needed but once again I'm lucky enough to be very close first time out.

Update:

2500rpm 4th and 5th gear whack the throttle wide open test. Of course in the upper gears it does not pull very hard at all until it hits around 4k. What I did get was a little stumble at around 3600-4000k, it's very slight and only for a second. .

Sounds like needle adjustment is in order.
If it is bogging down, you are rich. If it breaks up or stutters as I call it, you are lean.

I would try a shim to raise the needle a touch, and run that test again.

Sounds like needle adjustment is in order.
If it is bogging down, you are rich. If it breaks up or stutters as I call it, you are lean.

+1

Here are the shims that I use. You will need to order 2 packs. The pack comes with .010, .020, and .030 shims. Going from 1 clip to another is .040, and so the .020 shim is exactly halfway inbetween....but if you need just a tiny bit more, or less, you can do it. I have these....plus some additional shims that came in the stage 1 kit that I bought. I'm running shims that are .024.

I would move it to the 2nd clip, just to see what happens.

But dont forget, tune from the top down....so if its running right uptop, then you go to work on the needles, and then after that...then work on the A/F screws.

http://www.exhaustgas.com/ProductDe...epartmentID=10&CategoryID=61&RepID=&BasketID=

It doesnt really bog down but in top gear at that speed and RPM I would not expect it to pull very hard. If I compare it to Erics dyno video where the dyno operator pulls WOT from a low RPM I would say that mine does the same thing just not quite as rapidly as his does. Maybe the dyno has less drag than a bike on the road would? Maybe I'm to rich, or the slight stumble might mean to lean. I'll take it from the 3rd clip to the 2nd clip and see what she says, sure worth trying out.

By try it out I mean I'm going to play Dying Light for the rest of the afternoon and do the needles tomorrow! :punk:

For some reason I thought it was going to be a PITA to get it close like it was before I did the Morleys jet kit. I was pleased to see it quite roadworthy and even stronger than before. We'll get it spot on yet but once again I know it has to be close.

Good news to hear. Try small changes so you can go back if it doesn't make a positive change.

It doesnt really bog down but in top gear at that speed and RPM I would not expect it to pull very hard. If I compare it to Erics dyno video where the dyno operator pulls WOT from a low RPM I would say that mine does the same thing just not quite as rapidly as his does. Maybe the dyno has less drag than a bike on the road would? Maybe I'm to rich, or the slight stumble might mean to lean. I'll take it from the 3rd clip to the 2nd clip and see what she says, sure worth trying out.

By try it out I mean I'm going to play Dying Light for the rest of the afternoon and do the needles tomorrow! :punk:

For some reason I thought it was going to be a PITA to get it close like it was before I did the Morleys jet kit. I was pleased to see it quite roadworthy and even stronger than before. We'll get it spot on yet but once again I know it has to be close.

Hey 1-2 days of tuning and that should get it. Well, if you go to 2nd clip, and it gets worse, then you know that you went the wrong direction, so, then that would put you on the 4th clip, which in turn would mean that you would need to go up one jet size, and go back to the 2nd clip on the needle....and thats it from there.

Just remember to write down where you are. If you really start playing around with jetting, needles, etc, it will be easy to forget where you are, and make a wrong change.

I'm taking notes. I dont have the shim kits yet so I'll have to go a whole notch and see what happens. I thought the 147.5s might be a touch on the small side but it's still running pretty damn fine. I'll do the 2nd notch tomorrow and see how it effects revving speed and any stumble.

Thank you guys for all the parts and guidance. I cant believe what a pleasure this thing has become to ride.

I'm taking notes. I dont have the shim kits yet so I'll have to go a whole notch and see what happens. I thought the 147.5s might be a touch on the small side but it's still running pretty damn fine. I'll do the 2nd notch tomorrow and see how it effects revving speed and any stumble.

Thank you guys for all the parts and guidance. I cant believe what a pleasure this thing has become to ride.
I have 1/2 step washers if you need them.

Once you get it fully dialed in...it will be amazing. One day I was chatting with AsherC, and he got his bike dialed in before mine, and he said "Once you get it completely dialed in, it will be night and day." And you know something He's right. :punk:

I have 1/2 step washers if you need them.

Thank you, I'm going to order the shim kits today and get them in hand before I do any more tuning. Looking at the EGT kit linked above.

Once you get it fully dialed in...it will be amazing. One day I was chatting with AsherC, and he got his bike dialed in before mine, and he said "Once you get it completely dialed in, it will be night and day." And you know something He's right. :punk:

I love that! I'm looking forward to that, I had that feeling already but maybe theres another stage of it I'm still missing haha. Can you really feel an adjustment less than .020" or is it time to have a sniffer to get it that close?

Thank you, I'm going to order the shim kits today and get them in hand before I do any more tuning. Looking at the EGT kit linked above.

I love that! I'm looking forward to that, I had that feeling already but maybe theres another stage of it I'm still missing haha. Can you really feel an adjustment less than .020" or is it time to have a sniffer to get it that close?

Well its not really feel an adjustment (although AsherC saw a HP increase by adding a shim...which isnt supposed to happen...but it did) but the bike might have just very slight issues, like a faint cough, etc around 4000 rpm or so....BUT all of that being said....it will be really good with out the sniffer, the sniffer helps, so yes, you have time.

Drilled slides now come in around 3200 rpm now, SO adding a .020 shim WILL make a difference in the A/F screws. By adding a shim, I could back off the the A/F screws about 1/2 a turn.

Last edited:
I didnt realize there would be overlap now but good to know, it does feel stronger in that RPM range.
Maybe they are out to far, I didnt touch them, I only installed the goodies and did a sync. I ordered the shims already so possibly over the weekend I'll get out on the road and try some different clip positions and see if I need to swap out the main jets before I get carried away with the shimming.

If you didnt touch them from before, the arent to far out. Most people with Seans kit are 3-4 turns out.

Back