Vmax Smoking on Cold Start.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VmaxStar

Reaction score
Hey Everyone, I have a 2004 Vmax that was purchased in late 2009. The bike had 3,100 original kilometers (About 2,000 miles) for mileage. (Guy I bought it from worked out of the country.) My question is: My Vmax blows some blue smoke for about 10 seconds on a cold start with the choke on. The Yamaha dealers and other bike mechanics all say smoke on a cold start is perfectly normal for a Vmax and not to worry about it. The manual says that to avoid excessive emissions, the choke should be turned off after no more than 7 seconds. Does this make sense to you guys? Do your Vmax's smoke on a cold start? Thanks for any answers.

I purchased a 2005 last May with 1030 miles on it. Its been sitting all winter for projects. I fired it up this past weekend with the choke and when I cracked the throttle, it threw that smoke. My 2001 and 1995 all did the same. I believe this is normal for when it sits a matter of time. As to the choke, I use it as long as it needs it. Usually not all that long, but far more than 7 seconds. The bike needs to warm up some before you can just turn it off otherwise it would just stall out if you give it throttle. None of my 3 bikes have ever had any problems so I would be led to believe it is the norm for this bike.

Mike Moore
VMOA #2116
MD Chapter leader

Mine has always smoked a little on cold start...perfectly normal. I think the seven second thing is meant for FULL choke. I usually incrementally back the choke off immediately after start, and keep the rpm's under 2,000.

Mine has always smoked a little on cold start...perfectly normal. I think the seven second thing is meant for FULL choke. I usually incrementally back the choke off immediately after start, and keep the rpm's under 2,000.

+1 exactly what I do...

Back