Vmax sounds at the strip again.....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

modnrod

Reaction score
Gday all.

I ran my stock 1987 model last March, literally 60km after I bought it (as you do.....). That's when I found out the V-boost didn't work, the front brake didn't hold it still very well in the water, and my 2nd gear jumps very occasionally. Oh well. Still, she did 12.4 @ 105 with easy 1.8's in the 60, so went home for winter and plotted and schemed.....

Went to the track yesterday to see what she'd do. Excuses 1st (coz I'm a bit red-faced at the times........), the track prep was crap, 60fters for most of us were .25 slower than normal with lots of tyre hazing and spinning, my old bias-ply IRC 150/90's had 30psi, my left hand hurt from the 200mile ride to the track, uuuhhhmmmmmm, my pet dog has a cold, etc, etc.

Averages for about 10 runs as follows.......
60ft 1.93 (best 1.91)
660 7.7 @ 95 (best 7.64)
1/4 11.90 @ 116 (best 11.84 @ 117)

A few things to note. The 60ft is shite, really shite, but even rolling in the throttle after a smooth 2000 take-off resulted in spinning up, I couldn't use more than 2/3 in 1st gear, then short-shifted into 2nd at 7000. Friends who run lo-1.6's all day on Gen2 Vmax's and slammed 'Busa's couldn't get below 1.75. The MPS quickshift I've used on 4 bikes now seems to not work on the Vmax sometimes :confused2:. 117mph for a stocker with no jet kit, just little 3/8 holes drilled into the end-caps I think is pretty stout, at least I find it surprising.

I was hoping for mid-11's @ 115, so with track prep that's a snap. I've been racing streeters now for about 10 years, after a previous 15 running altered's and long-bikes, and I reckon this little hotrod is the most controllable streeter I've sat on, really easy to modulate throttle. My clutch hand is stuffed from an accident, so eventually I'm going lock-up or preferably EFM autoclutch, but was still easy to dial up 4000 and slip it for 10ft.

BLOODY GOOD FUN!!!:clapping:Won a few rounds too! (until a .004 redlight....)
Over the next fortnight until the next meet.........flat bars instead of the "Harley-style" buckhorns, hopefully rearsets (1" lower and 2" back), put a strap on the front, let the rear down to 20lbs, and then with track prep........well, lets see! :punk:

WOO!HOO! Just got back from the drags again! Good fun, after a winter break the system needs a bit of get up and go.
Still had 30psi, no rearsets, I only had 1 set of days off not 2, so 4 free days not 8. That meant I didn't have time to re-fit the rearsets, so just ran with the clip-ons. Got to the track and realised the footpegs are really hard to lift your leg up to when not leaning back, hit the shifter lever a couple of times on the 1st run, so the motor skipped (quickshift).
Oh well. 2nd run was all good, great track prep, idle laun ch and just rolled into it, and off we went.
60ft 1.762
660 7.46 @ 97
1000 9.681

1/4 time not indicative, coz I caught the other guy with about 150ft left to run, so knew I was running way too fast, even with a .031 light, and then rolled on and off next to him until the line, and still ran a 11.728 (at only 105).

Amazing what a difference being comfortable and confident makes.
There you go, mid-11's @ about 116/117.

Next time I'll have the shift-light too, so won't have to shift by feel. What were they thinking when they put the tacho under your chest?!?!

Happy racing everybody!

Back