vmax vs busa

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckridge

Reaction score
hello everyone , a good friend of mine got a used 2004 busa with 6000 miles on the clock , my 06 vmax has 2200 miles on it. when weather is ok ,we go for a afternoon ride and end up on this highway with a intersection on the highway itself , we are all alone at the light side by side in our own lanes on a red, waiting for green i blip the throttle to let him know my intent the light turns green and we are off . we both take off without smoking the clutch or the tires i can out accelerate the busa to 80 mph then he pulls away like i am standing still. but whats real cool is in town the busa is out of its element .botom line is ,the vmax can hold its own off the line with the best of them , the sound of the vmax singing is music to my ears

My guess would be that your friend is not a very good rider.The busa should stomp a vmax out of the hole without much trouble.

I've lined up against plenty of stock Busas at the track and they kill me out of the hole every time.

Your friend is not trying very hard.

well guys, all i can say is before being judgemental know this our bikes are geared for short , quick rev gear ratio which complament the power band of the engine output. the busa can do 82 mph in first gear before redline , i need to shift once into second gear to hit 80 mph . the vmax first gear is like mega granny gear .the busas first gear is very tall compared to the vmax .as to riding with the busa ,this was not a balls out ,tire rippin drag race , this was a a exercise in acceleration on a isolated public highway at a intersection. imagine if you will , if we had chain drive on our bikes with the same ratio as shaft drive , the rear sprocket would be larger than most street bikes to achive moving 600 lbs as fast as it does. my friend with the busa, has ridden in the races at the isle of man TT in his youth , and is not a inexperienced rider. anyway the best to you all !!

Like Rusty said,I have been to the dragstrip many times.Busa's are in a different world speed wise.apples and oranges.I have 15-30 runs under my belt and the vmax will not run with a busa without some serious modifications and some serious ching.

buckridge said:
well guys, all i can say is before being judgemental know this our bikes are geared for short , quick rev gear ratio which complament the power band of the engine output. the busa can do 82 mph in first gear before redline , i need to shift once into second gear to hit 80 mph . the vmax first gear is like mega granny gear .the busas first gear is very tall compared to the vmax .as to riding with the busa ,this was not a balls out ,tire rippin drag race , this was a a exercise in acceleration on a isolated public highway at a intersection. imagine if you will , if we had chain drive on our bikes with the same ratio as shaft drive , the rear sprocket would be larger than most street bikes to achive moving 600 lbs as fast as it does. my friend with the busa, has ridden in the races at the isle of man TT in his youth , and is not a inexperienced rider. anyway the best to you all !!

I didn't mean to sound judgemental and for that I apoligize.
I just realize that the Max just ain't all that fast anymore.
l live 2 miles from Houston Raceway Park and Race out there at least twice a month. I've done at least 100 passes on my bike and have seen MANY hayabusas run out there.
My comments weren't "opinion" they were valid observation of having seen many of these bikes run.

The typical Busa cuts between a 1.45-1.60 60' time, That's just the first 60 feet, we aren't even "out of the hole" yet.

Most Maxes are doing really good to cut a 1.70 60' time.

The Max will beat plenty of newer 600's out of the hole but they still usually smoke the hell out of it by the last 300' of the 1/4 mile.

How could Yamaha let it go this far that even a bike half the cubes can beat what used to be "top dog"? I see nothing earth shattering in producing a cruiser that runs in the 9's..........low 9's. :)

mikemax04 said:
How could Yamaha let it go this far that even a bike half the cubes can beat what used to be "top dog"? I see nothing earth shattering in producing a cruiser that runs in the 9's..........low 9's. :)

Here's a sad fact.

Harley makes the fastest 1/4 mile production bike on the planet.

It's called the Destroyer and does run in the low 9's

It's intended strictly for drag racing and is not street legal but is for sale if you have the money.

It's an extreme variant of the Vrod.

I have seen 4 or 5 destroyers run now.I have yet to see one in the nines.Usually mid to low 10's.For $45-50,000 the thing should run in the 7's.For less than that a vmax could.Destroyers do not impress me one bit.One of the local harley shops has one on the floor just for display.Another harley shop here sells Yamaha and Honda also.I asked them if they would be interested in sponsoring me drag racing,Maybe parts at cost?They almost laughed me out of the shop.Told me that they only care about harley's.I told them that they should give me a destroyer and I would race it every weekend.Then I walked out while they all stood there with stupid looks on their faces.They need to sell their Yamaha and Honda dealership to someone who would actually care about them instead of just go through the motions.

I get a charge out of the whole Harley razmataz. These people think they are so superior to anything out there and only THEY know what's really cool, no matter how much overpriced their products are. Whatever!

Attachments

• motorcyclist_trumpet.jpg
    motorcyclist_trumpet.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
shawn kloker said:
I have seen 4 or 5 destroyers run now.I have yet to see one in the nines.Usually mid to low 10's.For $45-50,000 the thing should run in the 7's.For less than that a vmax could.Destroyers do not impress me one bit.One of the local harley shops has one on the floor just for display.Another harley shop here sells Yamaha and Honda also.I asked them if they would be interested in sponsoring me drag racing,Maybe parts at cost?They almost laughed me out of the shop.Told me that they only care about harley's.I told them that they should give me a destroyer and I would race it every weekend.Then I walked out while they all stood there with stupid looks on their faces.They need to sell their Yamaha and Honda dealership to someone who would actually care about them instead of just go through the motions.

I have never seen one run myself. The time I qouted was from an actual drag strip session under a magazines supervision utilizing some top fuel driver who's currently hot, (can't remember his name)
He had it in the nines without even strapping the front end. I think they strapped it and put a better tire on it and it dipped in to the very low nines. I know for sure they did nothing mechanical to it.

In any case I'm with you on not being impressed. Harley couldn't design an engine on thier own, got the Germans to help them with it and ended up with a Japanese style V-twin with the addition of dry sump oiling system.
And most harley people I run into definitely have an attitude problem (not all, I ride with some of them too but these are the types of guys that are into riding not image) Although my believe is that if they were REALLY into rideing they wouldn't be on a Harley but oh well, to each his own.....

Last edited:
wfcall said:
Here's a sad fact.

Harley makes the fastest 1/4 mile production bike on the planet.

It's called the Destroyer and does run in the low 9's

It's intended strictly for drag racing and is not street legal but is for sale if you have the money.

It's an extreme variant of the Vrod.

ROTGLMFAO!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFNyuef26FI

K'naaaaa who wouldn't want one, Oh christ, I'm tearin' up on this one, sorry guys.

Last edited:
finally got home so I could watch it (Can't get Youtube at work)

Holy crap that's embarrassing....

Learning curve is a bitch huh?

Back