Volar Sintered pads.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Seward

Reaction score
I've been using Volar pads in both bikes the past few years. This year, I decided to try out their HH sintered pads in both bikes.

Having the Max in for fork bearings, and tires, Tim said he'd toss in the new pads, seeing as the wheels were already off. Roadstar pads are stupid simple to replace, so I took a few minutes and did them in the garage.

The increase in stopping power in both bikes is amazing! The Kevlar Carbon pads that were in both bikes worked ok, once they got a bit of heat in them. But they never felt as powerful as I'd like. These HH sintered pads look just like the more expensive pads, the material has that same coppery color, and there is plenty of pad material. On both bikes, they fit perfectly.

On both bikes, I noticed an immediate, major increase in stopping power, cold or hot. There is a long steep hill near my house, and the Kevlar pads could be made to fade while using the brakes hard going down the hill. The HH Volar pads showed no fade. I did run the brakes about 100 miles to bed them in before trying any comparisons.

They are very quiet, too.

D2moto sells them, and the prices are amazing! I'd recommend them. There are plenty of discount codes online, and they ship fast and free.. I'm thinking I paid less than $30.00 for all 3 sets for my '85, the Roadstar cost about the same.

Wow, that is a good price. Im going to pop some new pads on my Venture with R6 calipers and been looking at the HH pads but Im concerned about accelerated rotor wear with sintered pads. Over this coming winter I plan to use R6 calipers, new pads and rebuild/replace the MC on the max too.

There is a lot of conflicting info out there on their effect on rotors, but that stopping power your talking about, ill have me some of that if the rotors will be okay.

That's the way I've rolled for a while now. I use ceramic in the back, but the sintered pads up front work great. Good feedback and feel from the lever and I can hit the front brakes hard without skidding. They didn't destroy the rotors like I was expecting either. Heat doesn't cause them to fade, in fact they work better warmed up.
Steve-o

I have used EBC's both front and rear since about 2009 and have no issues locking in the rear like I thought I might. I'm using the same Chinese wavy rotors since 2009 as well and they still look pretty good. The last time I was at Thunder I tried to follow the Gen2's and Marcus on unfamiliar roads which had me using my brakes very hard a few times and they saved me from overshooting corners a couple times! I think the radials may have helped a little bit too.:biglaugh:

Cool, well it sounds like they are pretty safe to use. I'm going give those a shot. Thanks for the assurance, and the link. D2moto does have them cheaper than anyone else I have found.

I paid much more than that, but I run Honda calipers. Well worth the $$. Thanks Brian, I'm putting them in the back next change.

I had a look at the Volars, love the price but I got to wondering why they are so darn cheap. Turns out they are generic Chinese pads, cranked out over there and labeled/resold over here. I was reading that the consistency between batches of pads is not necessarily consistent on the Chinese imports. The ones you bought last week may behave and last differently than the ones you buy next week. I decided to go with Galfer, if they are good enough for Sean they are good enough for me. I'm glad you guys tilted me towards the sintered pads, I'm looking forward to actually stopping when pull the lever.

I found rear semi-mets for $14 shipped and the front sintered HH at $26 per caliper shipped. It's around twice the price but still very reasonable for a trusted brand name. The EBCs were pretty spendy no matter where I looked.

Considering the price I dont see how you can go wrong. Those EBCs are really friggin' spendy though, I sure understand using more cost effective options. Maybe all the low cost options will put a price check on the high $$ manufacturers.

I have what is probably a disproportionate aversion to Chinese stuff :eusa_snooty:

500 miles farther down the road, these pads bedded in nicely, and work great. Ditto for the pads in the Roadstar.

Back