Volt reg change

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmaxcruzer

Reaction score
Gents, I think my Regulator is craping out, been doing some research so before I jump into it I thought I'd ask one more time to be sure I'm taking the best route. I'm going with an R1 style in a 2004-06 year for smaller fins and mounting it under the left scoop. Anything else?

I believe it is the 02-03 that comes with the smaller fins if I'm not mistaken. The others will work but have the bigger fins. I've picked up the 02-03 one myself for that reason and I am waiting my my starter to come in to do the mod.

I picked up an 07 starter off of eBay with only 1250 miles on it from a salvaged bike. I'm trying to score the correct regulator wire connectors instead of the individual connections. I got the battery connector from a beat up R1 wire harness. But I'm having a tougher time getting a deal on the one from the stator because everyone is trying to sell you the stator as well.

Ive got the newer starter but I hear the "bag or bolts" sound every once in a while when I crank up and I fear I'll be changing the starter clutch soon. Ya know I think this winter is a good time to get that list of maintenance stuff that needs completed.

dont hesitate, do the R1 regulator swap. i have an '85 max, i replaced the OEM unit, after it fried, with a '97 regulator. it lasted about 2 1/2 years. i narrowed it down by using the electrosport troubleshooting guide, what a great tool! when i hooked up the meter to the '97 regulator i was getting less than 4 volts out. with the new R1 regulator i got 14.22 volts at 4000 RPM. definitely the way to go! check ebay, i found my regulator for $100, it was an N.O.S. unit (new old stock). a new one will run you over $200. check the other regulator postings, you'll find install pictures and other handy info too.

Latest posts

Back