Voltage Regulator Issue - MUST READ!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lotsokids

Reaction score
Voltage Regulator Issue / Fix - MUST READ!

Might be a good "sticky."

I just replaced my battery (VERY bad shape), voltage regulator, and stator. After all that I was showing 13.5 volts at about 1,200 RPM, but then any higher RPM would drop it down to 12.3. I contacted the person I bought the voltage regulator from and he mentioned that some first-gen V-Max owners have run a ground wire direct from the voltage regulator mount bolt to the frame or to the negative terminal on the battery. I did just that - I cleaned the regulator housing up for a good connection, then ran a wire direct to the negative battery post. I did notice a lot of corrosion on the frame piece the regulator is mounted to. It functions PERFECTLY now.

I would HIGHLY recommend you do the same!

Last edited:
Hey Lotsokids:

Excellent post! I'm going to do this work today...but would you tell me if you know the Yamaha part # for the voltage regulator, or where it "lives" on the bike? (I have an '89 Max). I looked thru the Yamaha part diagrams but couldn't locate it.

Thanks!

Elimax

It's under the left footpeg bracket (bolted to the backside).

Sean

Hey Lotsokids:

Excellent post! I'm going to do this work today...but would you tell me if you know the Yamaha part # for the voltage regulator, or where it "lives" on the bike? (I have an '89 Max). I looked thru the Yamaha part diagrams but couldn't locate it.

Thanks!

Elimax

See this thread here in the How To section http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=9885 . It is for the gas tank removal, but it shows how to get at the R/R also.

Yeah they tend to fry from sitting next to your exhaust so closely (just somthing they over-looked at Yamaha).Some of us have found they can be replaced with the ones off of a Yamaha R1 or R6 with good results.

Hey Lotsokids:

Thanks!

Elimax

If you are interested I have one off of an 07 with 1215 miles on it for sale. It is not as good as the R1 upgrade but is better than your 89 reg. Plus it is a plug and play. Let me know if you are interested.

I've been preachng on this for a while now. If you run a ground wire directly to battery negative, run the red (hot) wire directly to battery positive.

That way, every electron possible gets to the battery....

as long as were on the regulator topic,can anyone tell me if a regulator from an 01 r6 would be a good canidate for theR/R upgrade, going on an 89 w/EFI.

Thanx ahead:punk:

as long as were on the regulator topic,can anyone tell me if a regulator from an 01 r6 would be a good canidate for theR/R upgrade, going on an 89 w/EFI.

Thanx ahead:punk:

The one off the R1 works great. I would imagine the R6 has the same one.

Thanx Buster,Its free too ,that makes it even better!!:eusa_dance:

Latest posts

Back