• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to VMAX Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WANTED: Idle Mixture Screw

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desert_max

Reaction score
Well, I mentioned that my "new" '86 was needy. Boy, every time I turn around, I find something else. Had one screw jammed all the way in. Buggered the slot trying to get it out. I will prevail, but the screw will not survive.

If anyone has "just one" idle mixture screw, I'd be grateful. Funds available in pretty much any form - except bullion.

Thanks.

Well, I was a bit overly optmistic. I was correct that the screw would not survive. The real problem now is that the the carb body has sustained fatal injuries. Thread closed. Carb body wanted thread forthcoming. Yes, I am an idiot.

I've brought back from 'the dead' a carb body before, but if you split it or something, the potmetal (sometimes referred to as, 'German silver') body is recycle bin material. I had a set of carbs I bought because an air bleed screw was stuck, you could feel the air bleed screw nipple inside the carburetor air passage protruding, but the screw needed to be removed. The screw slot was destroyed. I was able to measure the air bleed screw hole depth from outside, and I used a drill press to remove the material of the air bleed screw to the proximate position where it would seat to the smaller orifice entering the carburetor main air passage by the butterfly. Here is an air bleed screw (12R14105-00) set: metal flat washer, rubber O-ring, spring, and brass stepped screw. Pic #1 is the 4 pc. screw set; pic #2 is the part number.

After I carefully drilled-out the air bleed screw to the distance to the far-end of the threads, I used a long (deep) socket inside the carburetor to push-out the tip of the brass air bleed screw which was just visible, and barely-protruding. Pic #3 shows the location of the air bleed screw hole just to the left of the awl tip. When I did that, and turned the carb body so the air bleed hole into the main air passage was at the highest point, the rest of the air bleed screw fell-out. I chased the threads for the air bleed screw with a tap used for tapping dead-end holes, blew things out, and the new air bleed screw easily was screwed in, saving the carburetor body.

For a replacement carburetor body, I'd say either dannymax or Sean Morley would be the best resource. Be aware that some carb bodies are no-longer available from Yamaha, you wouldn't want to pay their prices anyway. I forget which of the Venture carbs can work, either of these guys are going to know.
VMax air bleed screw 4 pc..jpg VMax air bleed screw pkg-part no. .jpg VMax air bleed screw hole.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Fire medic. Looks like I might not have ruined this carb body after all. Found a highly recommended outfit here in town who specializes in removals of these sorts using the EDM process. Fascinating stuff. Good friend of mine recommended them. Should know in a day or so. However, almost guaranteed success.

https://www.micro-tronics.com/

By the way, the idle mixture kit above… Can I assume that the part number shows the backside of the package? And is correct for the kit I need from Yamaha?

<EDIT: Cool, I see they're all over ebay...>

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Fire medic. Looks like I might not have ruined this carb body after all. Found a highly recommended outfit here in town who specializes in removals of these sorts using the EDM process. Fascinating stuff. Good friend of mine recommended them. Should know in a day or so. However, almost guaranteed success.

https://www.micro-tronics.com/

By the way, the idle mixture kit above… Can I assume that the part number shows the backside of the package? And is correct for the kit I need from Yamaha?

<EDIT: Cool, I see they're all over ebay...>

Yes, the correct kit. You can go to many of the online Yamaha dealers and they have a search function where you enter the part # & it tells you what that part fits.

I'm no machinist, I don't have a mill or a lathe, but I have friends and acquaintances who have the tools and who are. I don't mind paying to get something fixed if it can be done reasonably, but in the case of a no-longer available part NOS, sometimes you have to bite the bullet.

Back