Water Pump Question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zippo6

Reaction score
k, time to bring out my stupid....

Will a water pump from an '88 fit my '02? If not, what year parts is my starting point?

'85 - '92 models had 40mm diameter fork tubes (and ran with 282mm diameter disc's with single opposed piston calipers), from '93 on they were 43mm diameter (with 298mm disc's and twin opposed piston calipers)

How much money do you have?

85-92 are direct interchange with each other. 93-07 are direct interchange with each other. the two sets can be swapped for those year ranges but would also require moving over the triples.

You could use a Fazer (86-87) front end which has smaller tubes then the 85-92 bikes even and the same early brakes. Only reason I could see to go that route would be to get a lighter front end. Not sure how much weight savings you would get. They are also a bit shorter if I remember right.

I think the early FZR1000 forks even swap over (87-88) which again don't give any real benefit. Can't remember but I did want to say one range of years of inverted forks actually was a bolt on but that info has been long lost in my head.

I am sure many other models would directly swap too but none with any advantages.

How much money? Let's just say I'll be buying parts as funds become available, with both my wife and I off work money is tight but we'll make it happen somehow.

I'm not going for weight savings, with my size I feel beefier is better so I'll look for '93 and newer. I have no problem replacing the triple if I need too, but that'll be PLAN B. Was looking on Fleabay last night, lot's of '91 forks with triple around but I'll have another look too see if I had stumbled upon anything newer. My forks are bent and are now scrap metal, the tubes 'might' be ok, but I'm not sure it's worth risking my life over if they are out even a hair.

Here's my parts list so far:
Forks (I think my triple is OK)
Headlight Stay (piece that the brake lines attach too below the headlight)
Fork Brace
Going to try to repair my fender, if I can.
Rad + fan + trim (Not sure about hoses)
Water pump + cover
Scoops (both)
Handlebar (Dragbar/straighbar)
Shifter (linkage is fine, shifter is curled back)
Left side peg mount
Right side peg mount + peg

Bike will be in my dad's machine shop today. In 2 weeks I go back to see the surgeon and hopefully after some xrays will get a walking cast, then I can start stripping the bike to have the frame checked..... If it's no good, I might have '02 parts for sale. :(

Your 02 is the first year that the rock guards were offered. I have a few forks sets on hand and can prep them with new seals, progressive springs, and fluid. All you'd have to do is install and ride. Check the steering stop and see if either of the tabs is broken (on the lower triple). Even if one is broken the frame is still likely ok. It takes a severe impact with a car/truck/immovable object to bend one.

We've got a good selection of new and used parts on hand too as you may already know. I have a set of Megacycle chrome scoops for sale even. Plus a bunch of custom body pieces. I sold the inverted front end already so don't have another one at this time.

Are you sure all the parts listed need replaced? Usually the pump survives but the cover gets ground to hell. Most of the peg mounts don't bend. The frame they are bolted to gets bent and makes it look like they are. You can straighten the shifter but it will take heat to do that without breaking it. You can get aftermarket or stock pegs to replace any broken ones.

I'm picking up a 2002 in another month or so and might have some parts from it. BUT, that will be likely sold as a complete bike so not sure what all I will remove to swap for other parts. Of course I have a pile of parts around here too.

Sean

Your 02 is the first year that the rock guards were offered. I have a few forks sets on hand and can prep them with new seals, progressive springs, and fluid. All you'd have to do is install and ride. Check the steering stop and see if either of the tabs is broken (on the lower triple). Even if one is broken the frame is still likely ok. It takes a severe impact with a car/truck/immovable object to bend one.

We've got a good selection of new and used parts on hand too as you may already know. I have a set of Megacycle chrome scoops for sale even. Plus a bunch of custom body pieces. I sold the inverted front end already so don't have another one at this time.

Are you sure all the parts listed need replaced? Usually the pump survives but the cover gets ground to hell. Most of the peg mounts don't bend. The frame they are bolted to gets bent and makes it look like they are. You can straighten the shifter but it will take heat to do that without breaking it. You can get aftermarket or stock pegs to replace any broken ones.

I'm picking up a 2002 in another month or so and might have some parts from it. BUT, that will be likely sold as a complete bike so not sure what all I will remove to swap for other parts. Of course I have a pile of parts around here too.

Sean

No rush, but if you don't mind, can you PM me with some prices? If you know rough costs of shipping to the East Coast of Canada, that would be helpful too.

The scoops you mention, I'm not familiar with the name. I assume they are aftermarket? If so, any chance you could shoot me a pic?

Water pump cover broke off and impeller is ground down, see pics.
Pegs - after looking again, left side peg is fine, it's the mount that is buggered. Right side mount snapped off, not sure if the peg was retrieved or not. If so, it's in my wife's car as she picked up some pieces.
Shifter is not broken, but curled right around backwards. I'll try straightening it along with the rear brake before sourcing replacments, I'm pretty sure my dad still has his torches. If not, I know where there are some :)

As for the rest of the parts, I'm 99% sure they need to be replaced. Rad is mashed back into and wrapped around the frame, so it and the fan are shot for sure. Not sure yet of the tubing until I start wrenching on it. Fork brace and (YAMAHA) headlight mount are both shattered. Handlebar throttle side was wrapped around and almost touching the opposite side. I haven't had a chance to inspect the triple yet (hell, I haven't even personally seen the bike since the accident, only from detailed pictures) but it looks good so far.

Oh, and I shattered the OEM windscreen when I flew off the bike :( I'll likely never be able to find a replacement. That alone tore 2 big gashes in my UPPER thigh, way to CLOSE to the boys! Another inch..... and well.... let's not go there...

Attachments

• Water Pump1a.jpg
    Water Pump1a.jpg
    366.1 KB · Views: 14
  • Water Pump2a.jpg
    Water Pump2a.jpg
    310.3 KB · Views: 13
  • Peg Mount1a.jpg
    Peg Mount1a.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 11
  • Peg Mount2a.jpg
    Peg Mount2a.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 11
Yes, aftermarket. Email? Or email me at [email protected] with the pics/parts needs and i'll get you prices and info. The scoops are listed in my items for sale and have links to the pics. Under the Morleys Muscle section.

Back