well, finally did it

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RaWarrior

Reaction score
I bought a Z1000. the same one Garret suggested in another thread.

2003, 22k miles, it's been down but damage is fairly superficial....some scratches on exhaust, a scrape on the tail fairing, and a small dent in the tank that's hardly noticeable. Mechanically it's 100%. Has virtually new Metz M3 tires, new battery, new plugs, new K&N filter, and had the valves checked.

The riding posture is a bit more forward than the Max, a bit sportier, but still not nearly as hunched over as a sportbike. Very little weight on your wrists. The seat could be a bit squishier but overall it's pretty comfortable to ride.

So here's all the things I like about it
- It has EFI, with flawless fueling
- It has radial tires
- It has a 6 speed
- It has a gas gauge
- It holds 5 gallons of gas
- It doesn't wobble. Ever. Speed, corners, bumps, nothing.
- Last fill up was 43mpg with average (for me) riding. So pretty fast.

And things I don't
- The motor is pretty buzzy at highway speeds, resulting in
- The mirrors are completely useless blurs
- The seat is kind of hard
- The stock exhaust is far too quiet and boring, though that's kind of expected since this actually has catalysts shoved in there.
- I'm fairly sure the speedo is quite optimistic, though that also seems typical of bikes like this.

Overall though those are pretty minor quibbles....there's just so much more fun to be had on a bike like this. I can take corners far faster....one particular 35mph posted sweeper I could do on the Max at around 55, pushed harder and it got wobbly. I sailed around it at 70 on the Z and it was like being on a rollercoaster. Goose it in first and the front end pops up like a happy dog. Wheelspin is pretty much nonexistant with the 190 rear.

The motor doesn't have the personality of the Max's, though in reality it's more effective. Low end torque isn't as strong, below 3000rpm it doesn't have much of anything to give, but starting at around 4000 there's a solid torque hit and even in 6th gives a very satisfying acceleration. On the highway, which is around 5500 for 75mph, a roll on gives exceptionally smooth, immediate power, building as the revs climb. Past 8k, to the 11k limiter, it has a serious hustle. Though unlike a sportbike, you don't have to keep it up near redline for a good time, there's enough power and torque in the midrange to bomb around.

It uses a somewhat interesting dual-throttle setup...one is cable driven from the actual grip, and the second is driven off a servo by the ECU. Says this is to smooth out response and avoid abrupt jerks of accel or decel. Well that works great, it's incredibly easy to ride smoothly and the EFI tuning is flawless. The interesting thing is, that since the throttle is ultimately controlled by the bike, is that it adapts to what it thinks you want. So if you're lugging it around in sixth and slightly roll on to accelerate, it adjusts to give the optimal throttle position for the EFI tuning. If you suddenly whack it wide open, it actually feels a bit slower for a second until the servo catches up, though this is a fraction of a second at best. It really does work well.

Another Kawi trick I'm a fan of....is has "positive neutral". Meaning that if the bike is stationary, you cannot shift from 1-2. Only to neutral. So click down to 1 as you approach a stop, once stopped, heave up and you get neutral every time without accidentally getting 2nd instead. Love it.

The brakes rock, the clutch is light and easy, the gauge cluster is excellent(giving digital RPM, speed, engine temp, fuel level, and your choice of odo, trip, or clock), the ride is nice, and most of all for me, it's stable. It's also got phenomenal headlights.

So my Max is now in the for sale section. Oh well. All good things must come to an end. I can't go back to it now I've done a couple hundred miles on the Z....I hate to say it but it's just superior in every way. It's not as bad-ass looking or sounding as my Max, but that'll change before too long once the mod monkey nests in it's new home.

0615121554.jpg

You must be a Syracuse fan? :biglaugh: Nice pickup Ryan, sounds like a solid bike! From your initial impression you sound impressed so I would be interested in your evaluation at some future date. I would especially be interested in your thoughts on how the "hard" seat is working out.
Don't be a stranger once your Max is gone, stop by now and again to let us know how you are doing!:punk:

Oh I'll certainly hang around. Too many great people here to just walk away from just because I got a different bike. I'd be interested to line up with a Max on this at some point. This has a dry weight of 440 lbs and in stock form are around 125hp at the tire. From what I've read, ditching the catalyst plugged exhaust and cutting a hole in the airbox lid will instantly add 5hp to that. 10hp if you get a full exhaust and power commander.

and while I'm by no means an expert compared to a lot of people here I have done a lot of fiddling with my max and can continue to help out with the common issues, since I dealt with most if not all of them.

Ran the speedometer against a GPS, it's around 8% optimistic. 75 indicated is actually 69, 108 indicated is actually 100. The Speedohealer website says 8% is the typical error.

Didn't take long for the mod monkey to move in...just relieved myself of some cash on ebay for a pair of Delkevic 14" slip on cans, a Speedohealer, a full set of EBC HH brake pads (front and rear are shot), some grips, and some bar-end mirrors.

"Ra," glad you got a good deal on the bike. I like Kawis & Yamahas, never cared-much for Suzukis, never owned any, but still have an elderly Honda or three...

The bike is 'different?' Well, what do you expect, the tech was twenty years later!:biglaugh:

I know Yamaha wanted to upgrade the VMax so the Gen II is the ticket, but it's a shame they didn't do an aluminum frame like the old Deltabox, radial tires, and maybe even kept the engine, but EXUP, better suspension/brakes, COP's & F.I., of course. Pare about 100 lb off it (or try to) & w/the new intake & exhaust, you get a big reduction in power/weight, & a boost in power, suddenly you give her a new lease on life. But why spend that time when you can sell $20K bikes, right? W/the exception of the frame, they probably could do all that right out of the parts bin.

Given all the fussing you did w/your old ride, this is like going from a 1983 Buick Regal T-type turbo to a LS-7 Corvette. The technology is so-different, that you can't help but feel relieved to be enjoying the difference.

Ride safe, and please give us your two-pence from time-to-time.

I know Yamaha wanted to upgrade the VMax so the Gen II is the ticket, but it's a shame they didn't do an aluminum frame like the old Deltabox, radial tires, and maybe even kept the engine, but EXUP, better suspension/brakes, COP's & F.I., of course. Pare about 100 lb off it (or try to) & w/the new intake & exhaust, you get a big reduction in power/weight, & a boost in power, suddenly you give her a new lease on life. But why spend that time when you can sell $20K bikes, right? W/the exception of the frame, they probably could do all that right out of the parts bin.

This is my thought to the letter. But the vmax name turned into a flight-of-fancy for yamaha engineers, and to be perfectly honest I wasn't even that impressed with the result they're hocking for $20k. Even if it was the same price as a brand new Z1000 ($10,800 full retail), I'd have the Z. I've driven both. Honestly my '97 was more fun to drive. It had that "x factor" that's hard to pin down that the new one just doesn't. Maybe it's all my customization and time into it, the cool exhaust note, the old-school gauges, the snort of 4 carbs. But in any case I ended up leaving the gen2 demo strangely disappointed. It's too much like the original, as in it's a one trick, straight line pony. Handling and brakes were unremarkable. Felt pretty heavy. The engine doesn't have the "eager" character of the original. As I said in my rode reports....I had more fun riding the v-rod. Something about it was just missing. The "fun factor" just wasn't there for me.

Anyway, while I totally respect and did the old school bad boy vibe of the Max, it's hard to not be impressed by the improvements of modern technology. The engine just runs better, puts out more power and uses less fuel, the bike is lighter, stiffer, and vastly more stable, the handling is night and day difference. I knew after about the first 10 miles that this bike was going to win out over my Max. I really love how my Max looks, sounds, and feels, but have always put more emphasis on function than form, and this just plain functions better.

I absolutely loved my Z when I had it, 2005 Green. Enough that I wouldn't hesitate to buy another if one showed up around here at the right price.

I did a couple different options to fix the 'buzzyness' of the handlebars. First was the handlebar brace, it helped a little but my hands would still go numb. Filling the bar with lead shot really did the trick for me. After that, I could ride with still feeling my hands after 50 miles. I tried the Rizoma Clipons for it also. These were super nice, but made the bike more aggressive that what I was looking for.

I never switched over to a full exhaust, but did try a couple different slipons. The Yosh Carbon Fiber tri-ovals looked and sounded fantastic. Also had a set of Blueflame ovals with dual outlet tips. These sounded awesome, but I'm unsure if they are even around anymore.

The seat was always horrible, but a Corbin seat worked wonders. It was shaped so that I didn't always slide into the tank, plus my rear never did hurt with it.

It was a very fun bike to ride, power when I needed it and handled great. All while not near as aggressive as a full blooded sport bike.

Yes those blueflame are not easy to find but I did put a carbon one on my vmax. I think they still produce in UK.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I haven't had issues with my hands going numb or getting "tingly", though the longest trip I've done with it so far was around 100 mi. It does have some non-stock bar ends, which maybe are cutting it down a bit. Still, it's enough to be mildly annoying. Moreso due to the mirror blur than actual hand feel. I'll give the bar end mirrors a shot, since even at low speeds the stock ones are poorly placed and give you a good view of your shoulders, and maybe I'll give the lead shot a try also.

I'll strongly consider the Corbin seat for it. The stock one is, as you noted, a bit too angled and you tend to slide toward the tank when hitting bumps and such. Plus, it's just not very butt friendly. I half wonder if the aftermarket seat companies pay off the OEMs to keep churning out hard uncomfortable seats since it seems like that's one of the first things people change.

congrats man, glad i could help out!

back in town now for a few days, sorry i couldn't help you look at it, but family emergencies happen.

Back