what a mess

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stilkus

Reaction score
blinker, horn and instrument cluster. all not working

Okay, I was trying to fix the rear brake switch on my 92' max and accidently I grounded one of the switch wires and since then my motorcycle has the following items not working:
1. Dash has back light but rpm isn't working also the heat gauge and neutral light.
2. Turn signals, they would go on when I start the engine (DRL) but never blink.
3. Horn not working.
4. For sure the brake lights are not getting brighter when I press both brakes :D

I checked the fuse box under the hood and all 4 fuses are in good shape and connected to their wires, I also tried bypassing the ignition switch which means its ok. I also checked the charging system 30A fuses and they were good. I've run out of ideas and I want to drive my mad, its been sitting for more than 4 weeks. Damn it feels terrible.

P.S it starts and runs fine and as it should

I've had those same symptoms and it was a blown fuse. Check your fuses with a meter and not visually if you haven't already.
Also look at the back of the fuse blocks where the wires plug in and make sure they're in and not burnt or melted either.

Dingy listed a good wiring diagram that might help too.

Solved, it was as easy replacing a fuse. The funny part is I didn't inspect the fuses visually, instead I used the multimeter from above the fuse and below the fuse box, and in both cases it gave me a complete circuit and that's when I eliminated the fuse cause. So from what I understand this fuse is connected to a direct line with no resistance whatsoever and that's why I got the fake good fuse readings on my multimeter. I'm relaxed now that my max is working and I thought I would share the solution because its damn straight forward but someone could easily skip it.

Back