What a Way To Name a Bike??? My 89 VMax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpecOps13

Reaction score
I've ended up fighting a battle against this bike for every inch I've gained. I've spent the past few days cleaning up all of the work I've done, finalizing all the little projects. It's still got an oil leak that I never could get rid of. It drips onto the sidestand and down to the floor. Eventually I'll find where it's coming from. I was really particular, nit picky when replacing the stator cover and pan gaskets too. It's driving me nuts.....:bang head:

I decided to go after the overly rich conditions of the DJ Stage 1, as it sets. Since I don't have any jets or needles to swap in right now, I had to come up with an alternative. The plugs were running dark enough that I went one heat range hotter on them. The carbs all seemed to have cleared up with the cleaner I've been running and are all working with each other. My mercury manometer is as old as the hills. Impossible to clean the tubes. So when I use it I have to swap the tubes / hoses that are closest to reading the same from cylinder to cylinder and side to side. I ended up rechecking myself 4 or 5 times over today.

When I took it out for a ride, I was shocked and left in Awe. It's a smooth as glass and holds a steady speed without any fuss at all. I grabbed a hand full of 2nd gear on one of the less traveled roads and had to throw all my weight forward to keep the wheelie under control.. It's a good thing I didn't try that in first. This things purrin like a kitten (Of The Cheetah Variety)..

This bike's been one problem after another. Honest, I don't know if I want to keep it yet. It's been a RPIMA since day 1. I never thought about naming any of the previous 34 bikes I've owned. Strafer just kinda happened for the 94.

I had such a great ride this afternoon that I went out again tonight. It's colder than crap for us right now, under 50 and pretty damp. It was a cold ride and I was thinking of what I might call this bike. It's got skull artwork on the front and rear fenders, faus cover, stainless steel flaming skulls on the side covers and I wear an Icon Skull Helmet when I ride it. I got to thinking about having to dress like a Pirate and ride the Harley tomorrow night. :ummm: SkullDuggery popped into my head.. I looked it up On-Line and it says:

Definition of SKULLDUGGERY

: underhanded or unscrupulous behavior; also : a devious device or trick

Since I brought this bike home, it's let me fix one thing only to find 2 more problems that needed fixing. I call that underhanded and unscrupulous. The bike itself is devious and it tricks me into thinking all's well only to find more problems the next day. I don't particularly think there's anything nice about the name but it sure fits this bike...

BTW, the ride was great, the bike ran perfect and it's still pissing oil on my garage floor. The gas mileage sucks too. Atleast I know what to call it now....:biglaugh:

This Bike and I have a Typical Love vs Hate Relationship..... I Will Win......:rofl_200:

The mileage will fix itself when you get the stage one out of there.

The oil is likely leaking out past the wiring grommets where they pass through the stator cover. Pretty common. You'll have to take it back off. Pull the wiring inside the cover a little bit. Clean it very well. Then put silicon on the wires and pull the wires and silicon back through. This will create a seal around the wires and should stop your leak.

I still have those needles and jets SpecOps. Whenever youre ready.

Saml01: Thank you for your kindness and patience with me over the needles and jets. I wanted to be sure before I let you know one way or another...
We've got the stock needles and jets covered. I really appreciate your offer of help... People like you make this site great......

I wish I could Dyno this bike before pulling the stage 1's out. Just to see what it's got. My luck, it'd blow up on the dyno....:bang head:

Thanx 06VMAXIMUS, somebody likes the name.:clapping:

Thanx for the info about the oil leak and stage one, Sean...:biglaugh:

It's a great name Dave it works in many ways.... I have some souvenirs from my mod if you need anything after you talk with Saml01.

It's Unanimous.. "SkullDuggery" it is...

I must have missed your mods yankee in texas. How'd that work out for you?
Thanx for offering your souviniers, I'm pretty well sure we have that covered...

Thanx for the positive comments guys...

It worked out well! If you're curious the thread's in the Dyno forum under "02 Mad Max - Dyno Numbers."

I'll go look...

Added: It looks very good to me and the mileage isn't bad either.... Congrats.

Latest posts

Back