What can done with these humungusly stupid looking cans?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ian63

Reaction score
It's a 98 full power max....

Apart from getting/fitting other cans, or making them stubbies, what can be done with this set up, they look stupid, there Supertrap's but luke bloody rediculous!. I thought about modding them with the Dremel but that wont help the humungusly long link pipes.......help!

6f1a4g.jpg

334lzcp.jpg

My org v-max came with Two brothers can, almost the same stupid config - like chimneys on old factory. That was one of the first things I put my dirty hands on LOL

dsc02243m.jpg

ebay02p.jpg

ebay04.jpg

BTW, whats the deal with covering the license plate?
Never understand while seeing it locally...

Ian, welcome to the VMF! It looks like you could remove the added "bend" which would lower them down, then I believe you can remove the cap on the cans and cut them to whatever length you desire with some common hand tools. Or sell the cans and get a different set.

+1 to above. It is pretty common to take it apart and shorten the can with a dremel or hacksaw and then reassemble it.

I shortened a Mark's Can to get rid of damage to the front and rear. Can was free from CaptainKyle. I used a ruler and marked how much I wanted to cut off, all the way around the can. Then I used blue painters tape to map out a straight line. Dremel with a cut off wheel, actually several to cut the line. Shortened the core to match and packed with fiberglass packing made for bikes. Turned out at 12", looks and works great. I did have to fab new mounts as the can was one for the left side but that part was easy.. You won't have the mounting issue if you cut only the tail end of the can..

Good Luck...

Attachments

• Skull Duggery Marx 1.jpg
    Skull Duggery Marx 1.jpg
    408.3 KB · Views: 28
My org v-max came with Two brothers can, almost the same stupid config - like chimneys on old factory. That was one of the first things I put my dirty hands on LOL

dsc02243m.jpg

ebay02p.jpg

ebay04.jpg

BTW, whats the deal with covering the license plate?
Never understand while seeing it locally...

in the US at least people can look up the license plate # and see where the bike is registered to, and then go steal it.

Those are nice cans and can be shortened as noted. You can also simply get new cans with the same inlet size and swap them over. I think the angle of the picture is making that first picture worse then it is.

We sell that same muffler setup but in the Kerker carbon (same company as the supertrapp). Easily cut down though I suggest rewelding the core center when you cut it down. The biggest issue you have is that they are only slip-ons and not a full header. The original set was a Kerker dual slip-ons and cans were much smaller.

Sean

My muffler was too long in my book too. I just cut mine down, drilled new holes and put it back together. It was cake, had it done in about 30 mins.
I did it in true dodgy fasion, I cut it down 4 " with a hacksaw, then leveled it out with my belt sander :), later I removed and plugged the Kerker name plate.

Attachments

• SDC10276.jpg
    SDC10276.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 39
  • Vmax.jpg
    Vmax.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 48
Ian, welcome to the VMF! It looks like you could remove the added "bend" which would lower them down

Thanks for the welcome..

if i did remove it (bend) how would i join the can to the downpipe:ummm:

+1 to above. It is pretty common to take it apart and shorten the can with a dremel or hacksaw and then reassemble it.

That's what i'd do, it's just getting the courage

You won't have the mounting issue if you cut only the tail end of the can..

Good Luck...

I think i will unless you/someone can show/explain how?

in the US at least people can look up the license plate # and see where the bike is registered to, and then go steal it.

Exactly, and here in the UK the crims can know doubt do the same

I think the angle of the picture is making that first picture worse then it is.

No it's not, you need to see them in the flesh (well the metal...) to see how humungus/stupid they look

I was looking at a set on ebay and very tempted to get them, but also tempted to cut mine, but if i make an arse of it i'm fooked! and would need to get another set anyway

True, however first they have to get past the dog(German Shepherd) who has an access door into the garage. If they get past the dog, then they have to deal with me. I keep plenty of ammo handy:)

OP...
Cut the cans down and re-fit the end caps to the size of your liking.

Regards,
R

Thanks for the welcome..if i did remove it (bend) how would i join the can to the downpipe:ummm:

I believe the bend is held in place with a "sleeve clamp", so you should be able to remove the sleeve clamp and the bend, and install the muffler onto the pipe. This would lower the angle of the muffler down, instead of it pointing up towards the rear seat. If you want to. Some people like them pointing up, its personal preference.

I took a short cut and bought a used chrome piped Kerker 4-1 from a fellow maxer and had him send it to Sean for Jet Hot black coating and asked him to shorten the Kerker can while he waited for the coating. Sean does great work . Voila :clapping:

Attachments

• 7-19-11 277.jpg
    7-19-11 277.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 20
Ian63: Cutting my can and making it fit / mount was more than double the trouble you'll have. I had to mod the inlet diameter to match the Kerker Pipe. Then had to cut both ends and fabricate a mounting system to get the wrong side can to work. As long as you make your cut straight and at the rear of the mufflers you'll be good to go. Considering that the end caps can be remounted like the factory had them. Also considering that you don't cut farther forward, where they are mounted to the frame. If you FU, and do small steps in length cutting, you'll have several chances to get it right before you're totally SOL...

Good Luck no matter what you decide to do...

Back