What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used Rust-Oleum Flat Black High Heat (2000 F).
http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=371
I have used it before on a Wood Stove and it held up great.
So I'm hoping it will hold up as well on my pipes. :D

I did this to my headers a couple of years back using the same paint. It has held up perfectly well to the heat. The only blemishes are from rock chips which leave shiny silver spots. It's pretty thin coating, so it chips easy. But after two years, they still look WAAAAAY better than the rusted and blued pipes from before.

I had them off the bike when I did this.

Oooh ... I just happened to have a pic of that section of the bike on photobucket. So here you can see the stock headers with the flat paint over them (the high temp only comes in flat).

Anyway, they look pretty good I think. But you can also see some very shiny chips in them, and a one scratch that's about an inch long or so. Easy to fix though.

Attachments

• SSPX0976.jpg
    SSPX0976.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 24
Rhode it, 1st time out this year. It ran great after putting a tank of fresh gas in it. Prolly carboned up some from starts in storage. Put about 100 miles on it.
Steve-0

Rhode it, 1st time out this year. It ran great after putting a tank of fresh gas in it. Prolly carboned up some from starts in storage. Put about 100 miles on it.
Steve-0

~I'm jealous Steve~ maybe, just maybe one of these days i will ride mine again too :icon_rolleyes:

Steve-0
very nice. i had the halrey out yesterday, was worried about the wind today didn't wanna leave it in a parking lot for 8 hrs with 60 mph winds!
~I'm jealous Steve~ maybe, just maybe one of these days i will ride mine again too :icon_rolleyes:
how goes the troubleshooting?

Got the carbs all straightened out/synched, thats the good news...
Bad news is my new battery is losing a charge while the bike is running.

Sean is going to send me a stator and regulater, so i can see if thats my problem.

I used to have a ski boat and on the back of it said "if it isn't one thing, it's another" how true!

added new bars/grips....just ordered a new riser too....oh and ordered all my electric works for my accent lighting I'm custom modding for the bike (should be here today). YAY!

spent all day trying to fix my max. took off the air box and found one of the carb sliders
dont move when the engin is being reved, just a poof of smoke now and a gain.
so shes only running on 3 pots at the moment........bugger!

Sanded too long. Im missing finger prints on most of my fingers and they look kinda purple. Got a message from the coater, first batch of stuff should be done Monday. My wife was kind enough to drop a package at the post office for me. Its on the way to be chromed. Found a tiny flat rate box laying in the driveway. Kinda odd to be there and not on the porch. Oh well, I got it. Slowly making some progress:eusa_dance:

Working on installing amber Led's on the sides of the Radiator cover's under the reflector is and over that stick on metal piece. Should have a cool effect when all finished.

I got my engine guards pc'd in an unusual color. It came out like a gun metal silver/grey. It started off with smoked chrome powder (I wasn't expecting chrome). I originally did them to sell. But, might sell my fairly new chrome ones instead. I like them too much to sell. I can post a pic if anyone is interested in the look. The money is going into function and low cleaning this year, lots of pc'd parts, new wheels, bearings, radials. Possible swing arm bracing after a high gust of wind felt like it folded my bike the other day. The rear wheel moved a few inches and got my attention. If the new 180 radial fits ok I’ll just brace then coat the swing arm the same color as my engine guards I’m buying lots of new bearing kits this year. The bearings are either original 1989 or unknown from used parts. It’s prudent to put new ones in. No chrome money left, except for axle’s maybe. The good part is nothing I’m doing is laying my bike up for more than a day.
I talked to a fellow Vmax'er on the phone that had UFO type flat sides listed on Craig’s List, not to buy the carbs, but because I recognized him. I think I convinced him to join the VMF. Dell’s a long time owner with fresh ideas. I've talked to him on the road before; he's a nice guy with a beautiful bike. And, he’s got years of Vmax ownership and repair. Introduce yourself if you see this Del.
Steve-o

I did the first service on percie today @ 550 miles, Oil,filter,rear diff fluid,throttle free play,check EXUP cables, and a good look at everything else. Then a good cleaning and this afternoon a ride,anybody in?

myself and 14 other riders have been out all day
we traveled up derbyshire to a classic biker road called "via gellia"
where we stopped for breakfast, from there we traveled up to buxton to
the "cat and fiddle" pub [well known biker pub up on the derbyshire moors]
we started heading back, called in at "matlock bath"there where thousands of
bikes there [it was a beautfull sunny day] we stopped for fish&chips.
we all ended back at my mates house for coffee and chat
great day was had by all.....

]

]

:confused2:where are the pics, you sure it wasnt just a dream:ummm:

Good to hear you had a good ride, wish we could enjoy it too......................WITH PICS!

Over the last few days:
Oil change Rotella 15-40
Install PC 680 Battery, Fired right up with no charging.
installed PCW clutch spring and new friction plates, bead blasted steel plates. Noticeable difference in clutch pull, and much more positive engagement.
Installed wavy rotors, front and rear, and new brakes. HH in the front and regular pads in the rear. Very much improved front and rear, but the most noticeable was the rear.(rear rotor was shot)
I rode It about 30 miles today, and all was well. I'm more than excited about this because this is a 93, northern bike with 36 thousand miles. everything came free, no rounded heads or broken bolts:clapping:

Back