What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took the bike to Starting Line and got her on the dyno today. She was pulling nicely till around 8k or so when she started getting a bit too rich. Making about 100 hp right now at the wheel, which is what I have heard I should expect. The guy doin the run recommended goin down to 148 main jets, and that should help a little. (Wont bring it back up to stock, but she should pull a bit harder up top.)

NICE BROAD torque curve on the bike. Broad like the Pacific Ocean. The guy even handed me four #148 jets. Not a bad morning.

This did help me confirm one thing though. I assume that the 140 stock power level (at crank, I believe its around 120 stock at wheel) is with the non-ethanol fuel. That 10% ethanol fuel DOES cause a power loss. (Been dealing with that shyte for a few years now here in Maine.)Well, I run Startron in my gas, and the power is where it would be if it was running straight non-ethanol fuel. Ok, not to sound like an advertisement, but that shit WORKS!
pinkiegasp.png

Another thing I noticed is just how severe the jacking effect is on a powerful shaftdrive bike. I swear, it looked like it raised the ass end of the bike 2 1/2 inches or more when he hammered on that throttle. Yeah, added incentive to save for the chain drive conversion. And the biased tires... yeah, I never realized how mych taller they get as the RPM's increase. I would think that a good set of radials would not expand so much. Another reason to make the swap.

FUCK IT! I'm gonna turn this bitch into a Busa Killer!
pinkiecrazy.png

lol Actually, I would probably be happy if I can get it up to 150 rw hp. And to handle as well as a Katana. (don't need it to handle like a GSX-R 600... if I needed that handling, I would have gotten a GSX-R)

So, now I know what will be needed to be done to get her running PERFECT for the slip-ons I am running. All an all, a good morning.

Where did he get the 148's? Should be Mikuni small round heads and come in 2.5 increments. You need 147.5 though some Cobra systems can even use 145's.

Took the bike to Starting Line and got her on the dyno today. She was pulling nicely till around 8k or so when she started getting a bit too rich. Making about 100 hp right now at the wheel, which is what I have heard I should expect. The guy doin the run recommended goin down to 148 main jets, and that should help a little. (Wont bring it back up to stock, but she should pull a bit harder up top.)

NICE BROAD torque curve on the bike. Broad like the Pacific Ocean. The guy even handed me four #148 jets. Not a bad morning.

This did help me confirm one thing though. I assume that the 140 stock power level (at crank, I believe its around 120 stock at wheel) is with the non-ethanol fuel. That 10% ethanol fuel DOES cause a power loss. (Been dealing with that shyte for a few years now here in Maine.)Well, I run Startron in my gas, and the power is where it would be if it was running straight non-ethanol fuel. Ok, not to sound like an advertisement, but that shit WORKS!
pinkiegasp.png

Another thing I noticed is just how severe the jacking effect is on a powerful shaftdrive bike. I swear, it looked like it raised the ass end of the bike 2 1/2 inches or more when he hammered on that throttle. Yeah, added incentive to save for the chain drive conversion. And the biased tires... yeah, I never realized how mych taller they get as the RPM's increase. I would think that a good set of radials would not expand so much. Another reason to make the swap.

FUCK IT! I'm gonna turn this bitch into a Busa Killer!
pinkiecrazy.png

lol Actually, I would probably be happy if I can get it up to 150 rw hp. And to handle as well as a Katana. (don't need it to handle like a GSX-R 600... if I needed that handling, I would have gotten a GSX-R)

So, now I know what will be needed to be done to get her running PERFECT for the slip-ons I am running. All an all, a good morning.

At my last dyno....I was at 106 hp...and told that I was about 2 stages too rich and was told to go down 2 jet sizes to 147.5.

Where did he get the 148's? Should be Mikuni small round heads and come in 2.5 increments. You need 147.5 though some Cobra systems can even use 145's.

That's what they had in the shop... Still planning on modding the exhaust like we talked about in the future, but that's most likely AFTER I get to Texas.

Frig it! I just gotta win the powerball, then I'll have you build me up a bulletproof engine, as well as an exhaust, and a sweet set of wheels and chaindrive...

Ok, I am dreaming now, I aint gonna win the powerball lol

Yeah

Here is a couple pics I just snapped with m webcam

Attachments

• 148 Jet img 1.JPG
    148 Jet img 1.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 148 Jet img 2.JPG
    148 Jet img 2.JPG
    32.9 KB · Views: 20
The size of the jet head and threads appear to be correct. Need to see a picture of the bottom side of the jet (threaded end). At first look this appears to be a DYNOJET jet which would be too small if that is the case (the sizing is NOT interchangeable between the DJ and Mikuni brands). A 148 Dynojet would be equal to a around a 138 Mikuni. Your stock Mikuni;s are 152.5's

The size of the jet head and threads appear to be correct. Need to see a picture of the bottom side of the jet (threaded end). At first look this appears to be a DYNOJET jet which would be too small if that is the case (the sizing is NOT interchangeable between the DJ and Mikuni brands). A 148 Dynojet would be equal to a around a 138 Mikuni. Your stock Mikuni;s are 152.5's

Yes, it IS a Dynojet jet. So, it would be too small.
I did not think of that when I was talking to him about jets. I should have remembered that from when I rejetted the Honda Shadow, that Starting Line uses Dynojet jets.

What would be the equivalent to a 147.5 in a Dynojet?

Ok, where as Dynojet sizes go up in incriments of two, I am guessing the optimum jet size for me would be 156 in a Dynojet size.

Thank you. VERY helpful.

Just for shits-n'-giggles, I called up Dynojet, explained the situation, and he procedes to tell me that the 148 is the equivolant to the Mikuni stock size... and that's what I should use...

seriously... WHAT THE FUCK is wrong with him?

Ok, I can listen to an idiot who happens to be an engineer, or I can listen to someone who has a HUGE SHIT-TON of experience with this stuff...

I am placing my money on yu, Sean, the one with the experience.
Hell, if the guy at the shop I go to even recommends your work, then that says a lot right there
pinkiehappy.png

My MPS airshifter arrived today from non other then Morley's Muscle. So I'm redoing the wiring; soldering the connector pins, cleaning up some wiring. Can't help it, I'm weird when it comes to my electrics.

Got me thinking. If you look at my bike; the Morley's Muscle Jet kit, Kerker pipe, Clear engine covers, and now the MPS airshifter. Always helpful, fast, and follow-up is second to none. I have to take my hat off and say thank you to the man. It is always nice and smooth to deal with you. I look forward to more purchases :punk:

I paid Sean for my brake pads. I also pushed the bike in and out of the garage a couple times and started it just enough to drive it back in. Also it was like 107 degrees today, so I decided against riding anywhere except the 8 feet back up the driveway.

Miami FL weather report says it's 80 right now. 107 is too-hot! I was inside nearly all-day, but when I did take a break and got ourside there was a nice breeze, and as-long as you weren't working outside, it was pleasant, especially in the shade. Kinda uncharacheristic for Aug. in south FL, the humidity was lower than normal it seemed.

Got home from work about dusk, thought about riding, and didn't, maybe I'm getting old!

I paid Sean for my brake pads. I also pushed the bike in and out of the garage a couple times and started it just enough to drive it back in. Also it was like 107 degrees today, so I decided against riding anywhere except the 8 feet back up the driveway.

I would still ride, all the while sucking on a camel pack filled with water. I guess I shall have to prepare for some broiling temps.

Gonna be moving down to your area in a couple years. We shall have to ride together.

The gear I normally use when it's super hot is at the tailor. We'll definitely ride if I'm still in texas when you get here.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

LOL...whats wrong with riding in a low BROIL????

Installed my new Morley seat, fixed the oil leak on the middle gear cover and then wrapped the air box cover. Rode yesterday and the seat is amazing.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 28
O.K. Here it is, I got this for carbonfibervinyl.com. I got a 24" X 48" sheet and still have some left. The vinyl was really thick, I think 3mil and with a heat gun was very pliable. As this was my first time I ran into a lot of trouble near the gauges so had to make a relief cut. The design makes it hard to see so I'm happy with that. I can tell you that I must have pulled the vinyl off and reapplied it dozens of times and had no issues with it not wanting to stick. I plan on covering my fenders and the side pieces once I see if this stuff really is weather resistant. I ride all the time and the company gives this stuff a 5 year warranty for outside use.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 26
Took this picture of the odometer when it changed to 125,000 miles!

Attachments

• 0810131528.jpg
    0810131528.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 16
Back