What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Painted this pearl yellow earlier in the week before I got sick. It's lighter than the original 94 and will have more pop in the sun. It will be going on a 94 I bought to sell.
Captain K, take care of yourself bro, we need ya! Maybe a shot-a-shine is in order. Bet you know where to find it if you needed to LOL.

SEARCHED THE WEB FOR OEM CALIPER REBUILD KITS BUT WAS LEFT TO WONDER OUT OF THE ONLY TWO OR THREE KITS AVAILABLE WHICH ONE IS BEST ??? ANY ADVICE PEOPLE ??? PRE THANKS ALL

SORRY FORGOT TO POST GEN 1 VMAX 1200 BRAKE CALIPER REBUILD KITS IS THE ONES I'M LOOKING FOR . I WISH THE DUMB GUTY ALARM WOULD GO OFF BEFOREI POST THANKS AGAIN !

Please do not continue to have your caps lock button full-time engaged.

Where are you located, Consider adding your location below your screen name and the avatar, and add what bike you have, what year it is and what's been done to it that you know, in your signature line, all accessible by clicking on your screen name, in the upper-right. All that helps us to recommend the proper parts, and to know if someone wishes to help you, how-close you are.

Sean Morley [email protected] probably has the kit you need.

Your local Yamaha dealer can get them also.

Ron Ayres Yamaha has them, by mail.

For the 1993-2007 bikes, with 4-piston calipers:
Caliper Seal Kit

3HE-W0047-50-00

Retail Price: $53.99

Your Price: $39.58

https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/yam/50045c15f8700209bc794308/front-brake-caliper
If I am not mistaken, you will need two kits for each caliper. Each caliper has four pistons. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. The fiche shows only one exploded caliper, but since you have two calipers, you need twice the number for a single caliper.

The 1985-1992 bikes have brakes with one pair of pistons, per caliper.

Thanks to every response to my brake caliper rebuild post . I'm 75 in age and own 2 gen 1 V max 1200's . the one I posted about is a 1993 . The other is a 1989 I wore out riding with over 100 K on the clock .I'm located in New Franklin , Ohio and apologize for my lack of computer internet skills which was all my wife's job until she went back to God 10-28-22. I don't know who loved the '89 more , her or me as whenever we hit V-boost she'd scream yeah ! can we do that again ? I miss the '89 and most of all I miss my wife who got so much pleasure riding Mr. Max & gave so much to me . Thanks again !

A real big thaks to Fire Medic for the great responce to my caliper rebuild questions & most of all for guiding me as how to navigate on the forum . Although I still don't quite understand all of it at least I now know enough to navigate better than I have so far . Gentsvmax advised not to spli the calipers . Any advice on why not ? and how do I rebuild them W/O spliting them ? Today I removed them but havn't bought the rebuild kits yet as life has it's way of slowing my production down when it comes to the things I enjoy most like my V max . Pre thnks too !

If you search the factory shop manual, you will not see any instructions for splitting the calipers. That is why gentsvmax did not want you to split them. Also, though it can be done, if it's done wrong, think of the consequences: loss of brakes, which can have very serious consequences. I will leave it to you to imagine the outcome of a worst-case scenario.

Yes, it will be more-difficult to clean any oxidation/corrosion from the bores, if you don't separate the halves. An experienced mechanic may approach the overhaul differently than an amateur would. You could ask at your local Yamaha dealer, "would you overhaul my brakes, and would it involve splitting the halves?" They probably would tell you, "we will not do a partial job!" You may find an independent shop which will overhaul your calipers.

https://dn790009.ca.archive.org/0/i...ice-manual/yamahavmaxvmx12-service-manual.pdf
Buying new calipers is an option, but they are expensive.

Caliper Assy (Right)

3JP-2580U-00-00

Retail Price: $526.99

Your Price: $441.03
--------------------------------------------

Caliper Assy (Left)

3JP-2580T-00-00

Retail Price: $594.99

Your Price: $470.78
-------------------------------------------

If you don't have the experience to safely do the work, I suggest you find a competent local shop toy provide that service for you.

Most caliper rebuild kits supply the two O rings that seal the two caliper halves. I have split several of this design caliper on my Vmax 1200, XJ900 and XJ750 and I did not find any problem doing so. Just make sure that male and female threads for the two M10 bolts are OK (and use Loctite), the new O rings seat properly and the mating surfaces are clean and all will be hunky dory. Torque not specified for bolts and that is where some experience is required. If I was asked to specify I would say use 5ft/lbs more than the generic value for an M10 bolt.

Yes it can be done. However, study the Yamaha dealer parts fiche and you do not see any o-ring shown for splitting the caliper halves. I checked K&L for their caliper rebuild kits and saw no o-rings included for caliper-splitting.

1706110085001.png

Not knowing about the OP's mechanical skills and expertise, any overhaul of the calipers should be left to a professional. I think that is a safe way to proceed. Have we done a caliper-split before? Many of us may-have, but there is an inherent risk in doing that. That's why dealerships and bike repair shops carry liability insurance. That is why I say, "err on the side of safety."

Last edited:
Here’s a kit right here…

https://brakecrafters.com/products/bc08s-1993-yamaha-vmax-1200-vmx1200
seems to have the orings for the caliper halves…..not sure what the big deal is…calipers are split everyday to rebuild …of course you have to be diligent but that applies to everything you do on these bikes.

standard qualifier applies of course…if you have the ability.

...if you have the ability.
That is what I've suggested. Anyone here is able to work to the limits of their abilities. Something like a caliper full disassembly & re-build is not what I'd suggest a novice, or inexperienced in mechanics individual should undertake. Period. There is too-much at stake for someone who is prone to make a mistake in the mechanical repair of an essential part like a brake caliper, to undertake the repair on their own.

The solution is to find someone who is an experienced mechanic, who has the needed knowledge, skills, and abilities to do the work properly and safely. The owner can remove the calipers, and hand them to the mechanic, and get them back, ready to re-install (A suggestion here for using a reverse-bleed method to bleed the system quickly, completely, and properly).

Back