What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After researching modification of the stock exhaust on here I broke out the drill and bits yesterday after work and got busy, I left the center untouched and drilled the 5 1/2" holes in the baffles, I was looking for the extra sound without losing the look of the factory pipes, and after putting on the miles last night and today I'm here to tell ya I am very happy with my mods! And with the zero dollar investment it's a win win for me! I'm thinking about putting the chrome end caps back on with the 1/2" spacing because it would look better but I don't want to lose any effect of my mods, what do you think? Thanks for having the best and most informative V-Max site on the net!

I had to go preview a few job sites yesterday to prepare bids. These jobs actually had roads built into them and it was a nice day so I figured I would take the max. I didn't get out on the road till around 1 PM and had over 200 miles to cover.

Overall it was a great day. I got paid to ride, weather was beautiful, not too bad even when the sun went down. Nothings perfect though. I got a ticket for riding on the berm of the highway. Traffic was backed up for miles and I had no intentions of sitting. Another biker followed my path. He got nabbed too.

Yeah, it sucks having to pay a ticket but it was worth it for me. I haven't had much time to ride this year so I needed a good day out. I started at our shop which is north of Pittsburgh, PA. From there I went south to Wheeling, WV and Oglebay Park right outside of town. From Wheeling I went south to Moundsville, WV and beyond. Then, across the river and south to Powhaten Point, OH.

On another note:
While I was sitting there waiting for my ticket I notice there was a bit of oil on the engine. It was down where the stator cover bolts to the block. So, I check the stator cover bolts and they were loose. Middle gear cover bolts were just a touch loose. Clutch cover bolts and water pump bolts all seemed OK. I guess this is what happens when you put in solid motor mounts?

Any other bolts that are prone to working loose once you install the solid mounts?

Yeah, it sucks having to pay a ticket but it was worth it for me. I haven't had much time to ride this year so I needed a good day out. I started at our shop which is north of Pittsburgh, PA. From there I went south to Wheeling, WV and Oglebay Park right outside of town. From Wheeling I went south to Moundsville, WV and beyond. Then, across the river and south to Powhaten Point, OH.

On another note:
While I was sitting there waiting for my ticket I notice there was a bit of oil on the engine. It was down where the stator cover bolts to the block. So, I check the stator cover bolts and they were loose. Middle gear cover bolts were just a touch loose. Clutch cover bolts and water pump bolts all seemed OK. I guess this is what happens when you put in solid motor mounts?

Any other bolts that are prone to working loose once you install the solid mounts?

dannys and mine started doing the same thing. the stator leak comes and goes on mine

my valve covers leak a bit now, thats gonna get fixed this winter.

hopefully mine is gone! I wiped it off after tightening everything up and haven't seen any more signs of leakage. Guess I will need to check valve covers too.

me? nothing just some seafoam as i won't be back on her fo ra week or so, going to orlando for a week.

however we're moving our buildings and today infront of our new building guess what I saw!:

finally met the guy who owns this. nice guy, he left me a note on my seat the other day to give him a ring. we grabbed a coffee and shot the shit for a bit. i noticed he was monkey-less. nice hindle exhaust but it came with the bike i think. anyways just for shits and grins we turned his vboost always on for his ride home. i think i saw the monkey chasing after! heheh...

got my swingarm and wheel back from the coater. top notch work as usual.

went to drive the brake side rear bearing in and it went in wonky. wanting to tap it out and do it right i got a long punch and drove it out. unfortunately i slipped and nicked the seal (its a doubly sealed bearing) and once i got it out, when rotating it felt really notchy.

ordered a couple new bearings for spares (think i got a really really cheap connection for them) by just ordering the size (20x52x15) from all balls via bikebandit.

i think got thinking maybe i should just try taking the seal off and did so and i think that was just binding on some of the balls. not sure but i guess the right thing to do, is to wait for a new bearing.

another few days. oh well got enough on my plate right now.

mike, got ur wheel back. as usual the coater did great work on it.

went to drive the brake side rear bearing in and it went in wonky. wanting to tap it out and do it right i got a long punch and drove it out. unfortunately i slipped and nicked the seal (its a doubly sealed bearing) and once i got it out, when rotating it felt really notchy.

ordered a couple new bearings for spares (think i got a really really cheap connection for them) by just ordering the size (20x52x15) from all balls via bikebandit.

i think got thinking maybe i should just try taking the seal off and did so and i think that was just binding on some of the balls. not sure but i guess the right thing to do, is to wait for a new bearing.

another few days. oh well got enough on my plate right now.

mike, got ur wheel back. as usual the coater did great work on it.

Me Happy, thanks again Garrett. Looks like it's the start to the winter mod season for me!

Mike

went to drive the brake side rear bearing in and it went in wonky. wanting

Me Happy, thanks again Garrett. Looks like it's the start to the winter mod season for me!

Mike

Oh no prob man.

The early years were not sealed so if you take the seal off and it works fine then you can use it if you wanted. The outer seal is what they relied on for the early bikes.

Sean

Long time lurker, first time poster.
Went to a Yamaha shop last night that was giving out free t-shirts & free dyno runs (free is good). I don't know how accurate the dyno was but it seemed like everyone that had been on one before was getting about what they expected.
My run got 143.5 max H.P., this is a 1300, with mild head work, Walker 4-2 exaust & sean's jet kit.
The numbers seemed really great since the previous owner of the motor got 131 H.P. out of it, also me thinks I'm way rich on my mains, as it blew black smoke when they were crank'n on it (no afr availlable), but still seems that I must be in the ball-park!
Anyhow just had to share, thank for read'n
Gordy

I stood in the garage and looked at an empty frame,,Sean is shipin my motor back monday,cant wait,guess have to ride the harley a few more days LOL

Nice day so took the bike out for a play. Upset a couple of crotch rocket riders so was a good day out really. They will learn that old bikes can still go very fast. (Allegedly Officer).

Its only a crime if you get caught.

Went out with 2fear and rode em hard!..........I'm sure I broke more than a handfull of state traffic laws today!........:biglaugh:.........Life is good on a Max!............................:punk:

Opened my garage door up at 4:15am to roll her out and ride 35 miles to work in 47 degree weather. When I parked her, she was just getting off the Cold C marker!

Back