What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
got progressive insurance myself, and did a coolant flush. installed my otec clear water pump cover, with the toyota red in there it sure looks good with the other red highlights i did this year.

Fixed a fuel line leak. I was using an ethanol resistant line recommended by my boat dealer.. It was so tough I had used 2 screw clamps to pinch it down... It actually cracked the line and was dumping fuel all over the hot engine... Not Good.....I found some more conventional line that's still Ethanol Resistant and replaced what I'd originally used...

Fuel line at the top is USCG Type B1-15. You can see how hard it had to be clamped to stop initial leaks. Then the hose itself cracked.... The bottom and more conventional line is USCG Type A1. It doesn't require so much force and only one clamp is needed...

Took some new pictures of SkullDuggery too....

With a name like SkullDuggery you need a cover like this!http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/YAMAHA-VMAX-V-MAX-FALSE-TANK-air-cover-2007-AND-OLDER-/280653200771?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item41583bfd83#ht_500wt_1182

VMAX NV: The bike lives up to that name...That is a Way Cool Cover but So much has been spent on getting this bike to 100%,,, the money's not in the budget...:sad2:

I could make one though....:ummm:

Didn't do nothing to the v max but I did take the Carbtune all apart and cleaned it all up with denatured alcohol, waxed the s/s rods with cleaner/wax and put it back together.

It works nice & smooth now, no more sticking rods! :clapping:

Didn't do nothing to the v max but I did take the Carbtune all apart and cleaned it all up with denatured alcohol, waxed the s/s rods with cleaner/wax and put it back together.

It works nice & smooth now, no more sticking rods! :clapping:

sounds like a nice how-to. mine is brand new--used it for the first time yesterday. but later down the road, it would be nice to know how to maintain it. speaking of that, how much further is it "down the road" 'fore it is in need of a cleaning?

Got done wiring the charging system.
I used 10 Ga. monster cable from about 5 inches outside the stator to the R1. regulator (wchich has 10 Ga. mon. cable running directly to the POS. & NEG. terminals of the battery) and now I have a reading of 14.49-52 volts
charging my battery wchich is larger than the stock one.
I think I`ll leave well enough alone for now, but I wish that I could rewire the whole bike with that stuff as it really does make a difference in current flow and maintaining voltage levels.
<<Dave>>:punk:

sounds like a nice how-to. mine is brand new--used it for the first time yesterday. but later down the road, it would be nice to know how to maintain it. speaking of that, how much further is it "down the road" 'fore it is in need of a cleaning?

I guess when one of the rods starts sticking. Outwardly mine appeared to be as clean as it was new, a couple years ago but after an alcohol swab there was a dirty grey material on the rag....and one of the rods was hanging up.

Pretty non-specific time frame, I admit! :ummm:

Got my Mark's cans polished up today (look great), waiting on the pipes. Supposed to be ceramic coated tomorrow. I know, I could have bought them coated, but changed my mind and decided to go black on the header pipes after getting the system. Can't wait to get them on. Lack of cash only thing keeping the Monkey at bay.Always a work in progress.
Steve-o #4227

Got my Mark's cans polished up today (look great), waiting on the pipes. Supposed to be ceramic coated tomorrow. I know, I could have bought them coated, but changed my mind and decided to go black on the header pipes after getting the system. Can't wait to get them on. Lack of cash only thing keeping the Monkey at bay.Always a work in progress.
Steve-o #4227

Polished aluminum cans....black ceramic headers....the only way to go Steve-o!! Gonna look great! :clapping:

I didn't do anything but a new tool came in. Craftsman master thread repair kit. Nice to finally have thread chasers instead of taps and dies. Came with thread files too. Metric and imperial. Decent little set.

Works for me I am fixing to have my Kerker ceramic coated in black & use a polished can.

Maybe just Mark's tight tolerances but I found the few extra mills of ceramic material made it a little difficult to get the can on. A small bit of expansion would have made the job easier.

Course, on the flip side, it's a real tight fit! :punk:

Attachments

• 100_2198.jpg
    100_2198.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 8
Steve-o #4227

Polished aluminum cans....black ceramic headers....the only way to go Steve-o!! Gonna look great! :clapping:
I polished my aluminum exhaust cans last year and they were great looking, better than when I first received them! Easier to keep clean to boot!

Last edited:
I didn't do anything but a new tool came in. Craftsman master thread repair kit. Nice to finally have thread chasers instead of taps and dies. Came with thread files too. Metric and imperial. Decent little set.

which kit is this? they come out with a new one??

Maybe just Mark's tight tolerances but I found the few extra mills of ceramic material made it a little difficult to get the can on. A small bit of expansion would have made the job easier.

dan-o..... whats your can set-up? length, outlet?........ you had bought all ceramic black or p/c black before you did the swap?

If you sand the matting surface, it makes it easier to insert.

dan-o..... whats your can set-up? length, outlet?........ you had bought all ceramic black or p/c black before you did the swap?

I got 14" cans w/2" baffles. I bought a set of each Rov, first the black ceramic, then the s/s and mixed & matched them on the two bikes.

If you sand the matting surface, it makes it easier to insert.

That's what the smart money would have done Chris....I thought a little heat and they'd slip right on and got too far into it before realizing there was a better way! :bang head:

Back