What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rode her. took a pic, thought it was gonna turn out cooler though..
At least you were able to get oot and aboot, eh! Wow, 1000 miles already this year for you is awesome, I hope to get in that much before i leave for the Brownie Run!
My bike has not even made outside yet with all this weather this spring, but soon enough it will be nice enough to ride! The snow they predicted for last night never hit the ground, it didn't even rain!!:clapping:

At least you were able to get oot and aboot, eh! Wow, 1000 miles already this year for you is awesome, I hope to get in that much before i leave for the Brownie Run!
My bike has not even made outside yet with all this weather this spring, but soon enough it will be nice enough to ride! The snow they predicted for last night never hit the ground, it didn't even rain!!:clapping:

yea i usually like to hit the first 2k before brownie run and put some fresh oil in for the ride! heh.. at least thats the goal..

sounds like things are clearing up eh?

so last night, i corrected the oil level in my forks and loosened up the emulators. Man do I love the way they feel. but before i had a chance to test them out i ran into some minor difficulties. when i started up the bike this morning, the fuel lamp lit up. well ok, i'll be fine--the gas station is only a mile down the rode. so i flipped the petcock over to RES and went on my marry way. BUT about a half mile in the bike dies, you know putters out like its running outta gas. what the? so i ended up walking the bike the rest of the way. and man it wasn't fun, it was like 80 degrees already and even with the gear off i was dripping by the time i got to the fill pump. so i ended up putting in only 3 gallons. what the? i didn't really know what to expect, but if i filled her up with only 3 gallons, i guess this means that there is something the matter with the "reserve" valve. ugh!!!! and i thought i was gonna be problem free for at a couple more months. sighh.

so i get back on the road and am sitting at light. just as i was about to take off, my left review mirror collapses on the stem. doggone it. what next? so i pulled over and got that squared away.

man! and i thought it was gonna be a fun morning. well once i got on the highway, it was! and let me tell you I AM ABSOLUTELY loving my fork upgrade!!!!

Which way did you flip the switch?
under "RES". i remember reading in another thread that some folks were doing or understanding it the other way (under RES mean main tank, under ON means reserve tank) but i'm pretty sure under RES was the correct position because this is not the first time i've run outta gas and flippin it to RES gets me onto the last gallon. i know i know, why don't you learn and fill up sooner. i'm thick i know.

No reason to fill up sooner if the reserve is working properly! The on is normal tank side and the "res" is the remainder of the tank.

Sean

Usually it's the other way around since the reserve setting is basically a force on setting bypassing the low fuel circuit to force the pump back on.

Sean

I got tired of doing the 'where's-my-key' jig, I swear every motorcycle in the last 20 years has an ignition ment to scratch your paint. The designers must think we don't have any other keys beyond the one for the bike. The problem is I often find myself paying for gas or sitting for a meal and then thinking, 'did I leave my key in the bike?'. I never wonder this when in the truck cuz I can feel the keys on the ring thru the jeans. So I fixed that.

Countersunk my key into an old Stanly screwdriver handle. Looks kinda like the old BMW keys. Now I don't reach into a pocket and miss the key cuz it is too small and panic, the shape is unique enough to feel thru the jeans and if I do forget to take it out of the bike it isn't readily apparent to the world that the key is still in it. Pretty happy with how it turned out.

I got tired of doing the 'where's-my-key' jig, I swear every motorcycle in the last 20 years has an ignition ment to scratch your paint. The designers must think we don't have any other keys beyond the one for the bike. The problem is I often find myself paying for gas or sitting for a meal and then thinking, 'did I leave my key in the bike?'. I never wonder this when in the truck cuz I can feel the keys on the ring thru the jeans. So I fixed that.

Countersunk my key into an old Stanly screwdriver handle. Looks kinda like the old BMW keys. Now I don't reach into a pocket and miss the key cuz it is too small and panic, the shape is unique enough to feel thru the jeans and if I do forget to take it out of the bike it isn't readily apparent to the world that the key is still in it. Pretty happy with how it turned out.

pics?

I got tired of doing the 'where's-my-key' jig, I swear every motorcycle in the last 20 years has an ignition ment to scratch your paint. The designers must think we don't have any other keys beyond the one for the bike. The problem is I often find myself paying for gas or sitting for a meal and then thinking, 'did I leave my key in the bike?'. I never wonder this when in the truck cuz I can feel the keys on the ring thru the jeans.

I hear ya on that one. I've done it more times than I'd care to admit. So I got this guy made. Never again have I wondered about my key :biglaugh:

reaperkey.jpg

What I did to mine today is backed it out of it's corner and made room to bring the other one into the garage for it's spring tune-up so it's ready to go.

got the nology wires and silver plugs from gamorg02 today so I zipped out to the garage and put them in the bike.

Found a couple things...first, front coils suck to get at, and second, I haven't ridden the Vmax enough to tell if there is a noticeable difference. However, it does seem to idle smoother, and power right off the get go.

On a down note though, when I'm at high rpm's in first gear and pull in the clutch the front tire shakes a bit like it's losing traction and the forks seem to be diving more than usual. Anybody with ideas? Happened twice for the first time today.

On a great note...popped my first ever wheelies today. :punk: True, the front wheel only came up about an inch probably, but it's a start! Got excited after the first one and had to do another one.

Loving the V-max!!! :biglaugh:

Man, you don't want to wheelie around here anymore. That one inch is $1166 fine. I heard now that 3 times will get the bike confiscated and loss of license for 10 years. Florida is getting really tough on wheeliers... I need to put more weight on the front for sure....

$1166 fine, holy cow!

That sucks, leave it to the people that don't know how to have fun take away our fun. I don't know what the law says for NW Ohio and SE Michigan, but gonna have to find out.

Man, you don't want to wheelie around here anymore. That one inch is $1166 fine. I heard now that 3 times will get the bike confiscated and loss of license for 10 years. Florida is getting really tough on wheeliers... I need to put more weight on the front for sure....

WOW!! When my tire gets low I pop the front up without even trying. I explained that to the cop that pulled me over last year and luckily he let me off with a warning.

I couldn't resist, I had to try to do some more wheelies. So I'm going up and down my alley (probably driving my neighbors nuts), and kept getting little ones, but then I got one that came about a foot off the ground and I got a little distance out of it! Talk about a rush!! plus it made me a tad nervous...I don't want to flip over backwards ya know...

sarchin glad i could help and make sure your forks pass the 'bounce test', that might be what you're feeling.

sarchin glad i could help and make sure your forks pass the 'bounce test', that might be what you're feeling.

Thanks man, I do appreciate it. I was thinking the steering bearings might need to be retightened after the fork rebuild. Hopefully, I'm gonna get it up on the jack this weekend.

Back