What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I installed Dyna 300 ignition, Daytona steering stabilizer and a handle bar mounted oil pressure gauge.

Lots more this week to go~!

Got some burnout practice in:biglaugh:,little differant with the 3"over swing arm:biglaugh:!

I stand corrected, " not ' .The first time I rode it it was raining,felt a little differant, another 100 miles I'll forget its there.

Polishing some scoops and painted the letters instead of buying the stick on type.......

Last edited:
Shimmed needles this weekend, clip on the second from the blunt end plus a shim washer. Installed Mark's 4-2 and Morely's jet kit Monday, but had a mid range stumble. Only had time for a short test ride and it seems right now. Need to check my plugs and ensure all is well.

Funny; I had removed cylinder's cover caps (cap that cover the cylinder coolant drain plug) but I had a issue with removal of cylinder # 2's cap and stripped the painted allen head. I finally got it off last Sunday but didn't have the last Python cover to put back on it (I keep it in my brothers garage and I ran into a buddy that had a easy out so we went ahead and removed it) I didn't have time to install the cover since it was still at my house.
So fast forward to this last Saturday, I get a call from my brother who was in the garage looking at coolant starting to drain out of my bike! He said he walked in and was stand by his bike and he hears this light "pop" noise, then a quick "tink" type noise so he turns around and see's nothing. He thinks nothing of it but a few minutes later he hears a "glunk - glunk" noise of fluid draining. Since our bikes are parked on one half of the garage, kinda angle parked in front of the bench he see's nothing, he looks under his truck thinking it may have come from there but see nothing, so he walks around behind his bike and then notices a small puddle on the ground next to my bike! He finds the plug, cleans it off and pushes it back in then calls me. I get over there and find that the draining has stopped but there was about a quart of coolant laying on the floor which I soak up with some good ol' dry Lake Superior beach sand then install the cover.
I found it hard to believe that the rubber plug took a week to work it's way out since I had removed the cover and rode the bike home about a mile then parked it. The bike had sat untouched for a week before it fell out? It must have been the heat/ cold cycle that worked it out as we have had nights in the high 20's and days into the low 60's. The funny thing is that the timing couldn't have been better to have my brother right there when it happened.
Another job crossed off the list; It was windy as heck here this weekend so not much riding so I worked on the forks and got the front sag set at about 1 5/8" with me in the saddle, which is close enough for me. I had the fork caps off probably 10 times so I can get them back on easy now! I have about 7/8" of the spacer sticking out which should be good but I will do some test rides to see. Oil level is something I had to play with, I ended up with the oil level at about 6 1/4" from the top (w/o springs or spacers in), if I used any more oil it seemed to not want to have more than a couple of inches of travel. :confused2:(Progressive springs, lowered 2" with Ricor intiminators and 5 wt Silkolene oil, no air pressure)

Rode it in the rain yesterday to a bike show up in Hagerstown, MD. Ate lunch and rode it back home. Cleaned her off nice and shiny once again! Waiting on my new parts to all come in this week.....lets see..LEDs, remote switch, frame brace, shiftlight/volt & alt meter, & black SS engine bolt kit)

Let the fun begin.....

Oh and still waiting to burn up my stock, yes STOCK, tread to put on my shinko's I purchased last fall. They WILL be on by Thunder!!!

Slight update of the airbox cover I started here
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=3492

P1090423.JPG
P1090425.JPG
P1090446.JPG

full pics here: http://picasaweb.google.com/johnpclynch/Bikes

There is a drain in the bottom of the airbox and it looks like even with water getting in there it should be fine in all but very hard downpours.

Sean

Washed her up from Sundays ride in the rain. Changed the oil & filter. Checked the plugs to notice its running lean, so I removed 6 discs on each side of my supertrapps and will check the plugs after my next ride. Received my new LED, remote system, and unique shift light/volt meter combo. Let the mods begin...oh and still waiting on my new black oval frame braces from germany along with black SS bolts.

There is a drain in the bottom of the airbox and it looks like even with water getting in there it should be fine in all but very hard downpours.

Sean

I just hopped off after a massive downpour, visibility was the only problem I had !

I have a cutout at the bottom of the filter where the drain should be, it's part of a mod for winter riding where I can flip the airfilter to pull warmer air from between the carbs (and allow any rain an easier path through)

Question unrelated probally....My front end wobbles from 50 down to 40 mph . It did it with old tire balanced. and now i had yamaha dealer put a new front tire on and it does it the same. They said it may be in the suspension. My question is does my 2005 vmax need the furber fix when i order new bearings and have an expert re=do the suspension front end??

Back