What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ate my rear fender. Three bolts vibrated out holding rear fender and it fell going over expansion joint of bridge. Promptly wedged between inner fender and rear tire and chewed it up. Not a happy camper. :pullhair: Just ordered a new carbon fiber one from Tyga. Could have been worse I guess.

Welcome to the forum ShockStar.. It is always good when you walk away with no cuts, road rash or broken body parts.

Since I got my 99 I had Idle problems, only engine mod K&M air filter so I clean and synch carbs, changed plugs...still had an issue idling and a one point it would die and was hard to start back up.
Found a cracked rubber carb intake joint, fixed it, still had an issue, it worked better but I had to keep bike idling at 2000 rpm. Then it fluctuated +- 500 rpm.
It was a pain.
Then I thought about something:
Free flow of air from the K&M air filter and the restrictive stock exhaust will create a rich condition (I could smell unburned gas at times) the stock spark plug NGK DPR8EA-9 was not hot enough to burn the mixture and deposits off the sparkplug.
So a hotter plug NGKDPR&EA-9 was in order.
It was a pain on the a$$ to just go to the auto parts store and ask for a hotter plug, some of dose guys are just plain dumb, so I had to do my own research on line.
I went to the NGK site and cross referance the plug.
It was a shot in the dark that paid off, the bike not only idles smooth at 1050 RPM but it runs much better.
Took me all day but ...
I'm happy.
Next: tires, front suspension.

Took the front seat off and dropped it off to get reshaped and recovered. It suffered wind damage last year.

Using a camping pillow to ride right now. Not a really secure method.

Ate my rear fender. Three bolts vibrated out holding rear fender and it fell going over expansion joint of bridge. Promptly wedged between inner fender and rear tire and chewed it up. Not a happy camper. :pullhair: Just ordered a new carbon fiber one from Tyga. Could have been worse I guess.

The Tygas are nice(once you peel off the sticker). There is no place for the two rear bolts, but the three main bolts hold it on fine...

Attachments

• tygabottom.jpg
    tygabottom.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 24
  • Rear Fender Before.jpg
    Rear Fender Before.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 22
  • Rear Fender After.jpg
    Rear Fender After.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 23
Took the front seat off and dropped it off to get reshaped and recovered. It suffered wind damage last year.

Using a camping pillow to ride right now. Not a really secure method.

" It suffered (breaking) wind damage last year."
Ya gotta stay away from the Mexican food, or use an activated charcoal seat pad to protect the upholstery!:rofl_200:

Finally have some updates on my max.

Painted and installed my Exactrep spoiler, installed my Delkevic engine guards, sandblasted an painted my HMF exhaust headers, changed oil & filter, changed diff oil and best of all, took it for my ride of the year.

First time I tried my Maxgasser seat and all I have to say is, thanks Rick for a great seat, very comfy indeed!

Bike is just about ready for the Brownie run :eusa_dance:

Mike

Finally have some updates on my max.

Painted and installed my Exactrep spoiler, installed my Delkevic engine guards, sandblasted an painted my HMF exhaust headers, changed oil & filter, changed diff oil and best of all, took it for my ride of the year.

First time I tried my Maxgasser seat and all I have to say is, thanks Rick for a great seat, very comfy indeed!

Bike is just about ready for the Brownie run :eusa_dance:

Mike

I was going to ask you for pics, but i will just check it out in person at BRC :thumbs up:

I found the reason for an intermittent dead cylinder, usually when it was raining or after washing the bike.
For some unknown reason, most of the wire had corroded at the connector, only the insulation was holding it together
P1090457.JPG

Replaced the 10w with15w, switched out the yellow springs with the blue ones on my race tech emulators. OMFG! What a difference! When installing Progressives, you simply can no longer use the 10w that was spec'd out for stock springs--the Progs over power the 10w and you get too much rebound. And the low speed compression hits are slowly disappearing with each tweak I make to the emulators.Just a little less compression and it'll be perfect--thinking of doing this with less preload--I'll have see how the zipties faired on the stanchions first though.

Washed off all the splattered lovebugs and cleaned the right side--got too late in the night to finish the left side.

regards from my tapatalking android...

Just did the 5 holes on exhaust and punched a hole inside.
Bike sound way better.
I do like the stock exhaust and have not find one that pleases me estetically for replacement.
I'll like to get set of headers and make that work with the stock pipes.
Have anyone tried this?
Headers or not, bike wil go to dyno and will ger re jetted with stock modifed exhaust.
I order 2 new tires. comming some time this week.

Just did the 5 holes on exhaust and punched a hole inside. Bike sound way better

I loved the way mine sounded after the 5 holes mod. I wonder how they'll sound if I do the punch.

Just did the 5 holes on exhaust and punched a hole inside.
Bike sound way better.
I do like the stock exhaust and have not find one that pleases me estetically for replacement.
I'll like to get set of headers and make that work with the stock pipes.
Have anyone tried this?
Headers or not, bike wil go to dyno and will ger re jetted with stock modifed exhaust.
I order 2 new tires. comming some time this week.

5 holes on exhaust definately sounds good to me. Somtimes I unplug the Vboost while its checking itself in the open position and that gives it good sound also, like she's cammed up with a good loping sound.:worthy:

Replaced the 10w with15w, switched out the yellow springs with the blue ones on my race tech emulators. OMFG! What a difference! When installing Progressives, you simply can no longer use the 10w that was spec'd out for stock springs--the Progs over power the 10w and you get too much rebound. And the low speed compression hits are slowly disappearing with each tweak I make to the emulators.Just a little less compression and it'll be perfect--thinking of doing this with less preload--I'll have see how the zipties faired on the stanchions first though.

Washed off all the splattered lovebugs and cleaned the right side--got too late in the night to finish the left side.

pm sent

5 holes on exhaust definately sounds good to me. Somtimes I unplug the Vboost while its checking itself in the open position and that gives it good sound also, like she's cammed up with a good loping sound.:worthy:
I did like the sound of 5 3/8 holes Joe. Ran like that till I put the Marks 4-2 on. Won't be sneeking up on anyone that's for sure.
Steve-o

Just finished with a Barnett clutch, new ss braided throttle cables, new ss braided fuel lines, new mirror polished Gage cover, new chrome custom wavy brake bar, new chrome ign cyl cover, new headlight visor, new progressive front springs, chrome billit bolt covers, new temp neck covers (until I get chrome ones) and new Kandy Tangerine w/ghost flames paintjob(picking up tomorrow) and last that I can think of right now, chrome flame radiator cover and misc items I'm sure I forgot about. Not to mention, new brakes( front and back) new pickup/pulse coil and drivegear inside my transfer case. I'll be posting pics later this week. Ed

Back