What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Progressive fronts are the same. Rears can vary with standard and HD versions.
Sean

Rolled the bike out of the garage at 3:30am this morning to ride it to work. Got all geared up, sat on the bike, turned the key and my Ecliptec setup said my battery was only with 3amp charge....click...click...click.....

Bowed my head in shame and rolled her back in the garage. I was all excited since I just installed a new Shinko 170 rear over the stock 150...sigh.....

Weirdly enough, my battery tender told me it was charged with a green light prior to pulling it off the tender. This is the second time this has happened on this battery. Will pull it later and check the cells AGAIN!!!

Long story short, I'm ordering a gel cell since I cant afford being left DOA on the side of the road somewhere!!! Going to order this one off ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/MB16AU-YAMAHA-V...279?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33684c369f

Rolled the bike out of the garage at 3:30am this morning to ride it to work. Got all geared up, sat on the bike, turned the key and my Ecliptec setup said my battery was only with 3amp charge....click...click...click.....

Bowed my head in shame and rolled her back in the garage. I was all excited since I just installed a new Shinko 170 rear over the stock 150...sigh.....

Weirdly enough, my battery tender told me it was charged with a green light prior to pulling it off the tender. This is the second time this has happened on this battery. Will pull it later and check the cells AGAIN!!!

Long story short, I'm ordering a gel cell since I cant afford being left DOA on the side of the road somewhere!!! Going to order this one off ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/MB16AU-YAMAHA-V...279?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33684c369f

Better yet, buy an Odyssey PC680 dry cell. Pricey, but worth every penny!

+1 for the PC680. There is also a battery thread here that talks about a panasonic battery that is cheaper ($65 vs $120), I haven't heard anything about the panasonic batteries longevity but the PC680 is tested top performer in my bike (3 years now) and in others as well.

+1 for the PC680. There is also a battery thread here that talks about a panasonic battery that is cheaper ($65 vs $120), I haven't heard anything about the panasonic batteries longevity but the PC680 is tested top performer in my bike (3 years now) and in others as well.

I ended up ordering the http://cgi.ebay.com/MB16AU-YAMAHA-VM...item33684c369f for $65 shipped (2-3 USPS priority). This has 250CCA over PC680 220CCA. Lets wait and see how it goes now.

+1 on the new battery. I got the same PC680 just a couple of months ago. Mine was also on a tender. The tenders help massively, but eventually, they just kick the bucket.

Get the new one in there and you'll be set for a long while with the battery tender.

As for my vmax story for the day ... well ... it is still raining :-{ So I rode the rocket again today. I've only ridden the max maybe 4-5 times this entire year. Ugh. I really need some Oregon Sunshine.

I installed drag bars and a led brake light where the reflector use to be and i havent even tagged it yet.
003eeg.jpg

Ok, I recall seeing something about the led light but what is the vendor's location? I just had my rear reflector off to install the powder-coated pass. grab rails, padded sissy bar, & stock o.e.m. brackets for the luggage rack, but I left the rack unpainted. I am always a fan of more lighting for the rear of the bike. So, where to get one? Thanks.

It's in the upper 60's and a nice wind. So I went for a sweet, little, mind-clearing ride just outside of town.

Got to see a moose, bobcat, and a small black bear while riding through the goldstream valley :clapping:

Yes, thanks, that is the one i saw before. I also did a search for rear reflector light & etc. and found some other content.

Last edited:
Today I killed my instrument cluster.

It's finally nice outside, so I took the bike out for a nice thrashing. I did a good job of it because on the way home, the instrument cluster went berzerk. No neutral light. RPMs at zero until I start moving, then they are all over the place. No blinkers. If I hit the horn, no sound, but the RPM needle drops to zero!

I took it off the bike. Connectors look good. Reconnected the white and red wire harnesses, but still does it.

Hmmm ....

Funny thing is i got it at a truck stop, they sell all kinds of cool led lights and i measured this one and had to take about a 1/8th of a inch off of it to get it to fit right
001vjc.jpg

Well, my electrical issue is fixed thanks to maleko89 and TheBeekeeper ... and now my kids are washing her all up. I refuse to wash any of my bikes, but eventually, my wife and kids get so embarrassed that the give 'em a good scrub down.

Look how happy it is getting all prepped for its bath! Sheesh that lower scoop is dirty!

IMAG0012.jpg

I stared at my bike in frustration. The parts I ordered are sitting at a closed Post Office, And I'm still on call for today, so I can't ride, and I can't work on it.

got my new shift light in from the wife... can't wait to install it and prep for americade. got some custom intake covers that my brother made too.

Back