What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks Like Metzler says to run these tires at 39 psi to 42 psi depending on Solo / 2up light / 2up heavy. So I am going to try 40psi (increase of 4psi from current) to see how it handles

Got the 170 mounted and installed, found the rear pads paper thin so I dropped a new set in while I was there, fronts looked good yet.........................

Finished repainting my swing arm yesterday. Painted caliper mount and stay rod today. Back together tomorrow. Well maybe if everything fits.

Most of the frame welds around the swing arm mounts had rusty edges. So I cleaned them up and painted. Installed swing arm and torqued bolts and nut. Slid in drive shaft. Noticed the swing arm wasn't in the boot on the upper inside. Worked at it about a half hour and deceided to leave it for tomorrow.

Yikes! Yesterday I got tired of seeing the rust drool from the factory bolts holding the rotors and hubs on my Carr wheels so I went to a fastener place to get some replacements. I thought I would go SS but was informed by the very knowledgeable gentleman working there that SS is about 2.2 on the scale of strength, replacing the factory of 8.8 (metric of course).

I settled on some 12.2 (I think?) and spray painted them satin black. Had to touch up the Allen drive hole in them after torquing. Anyway, they were slightly taller and I couldn't use them on the front rotor, they hit the fork tube. I ordered some from the stealership. I did successfully replace the ones on the front hub and rear rotor/hub no problem. Looks much better, you don't really notice the front ones as the front rotors have a gold area where they bolt on.

Anyway, DO NOT USE SS FOR A REPLACEMENT!! Just because something seems strong and hard to drill, does not mean it has the capacity to withstand an impact without shearing off! Do not second-guess the engineers when it comes to safety.

EDIT: Proper strength SS bolts are available, see below...

Last edited:
Yikes! Yesterday I got tired of seeing the rust drool from the factory bolts holding the rotors and hubs on my Carr wheels so I went to a fastener place to get some replacements. I thought I would go SS but was informed by the very knowledgeable gentleman working there that SS is about 2.2 on the scale of strength, replacing the factory of 8.8 (metric of course).

I settled on some 12.2 (I think?) and spray painted them satin black. Had to touch up the Allen drive hole in them after torquing. Anyway, they were slightly taller and I couldn't use them on the front rotor, they hit the fork tube. I ordered some from the stealership. I did successfully replace the ones on the front hub and rear rotor/hub no problem. Looks much better, you don't really notice the front ones as the front rotors have a gold area where they bolt on.

Anyway, DO NOT USE SS FOR A REPLACEMENT!! Just because something seems strong and hard to drill, does not mean it has the capacity to withstand an impact without shearing off! Do not second-guess the engineers when it comes to safety.

I have been running stainless bolts on the calipers and rotors for over 10 years now with no issue and believe me, I have hammered on the brakes more than once and they have no signs of stress, etc...

Mike

Good to hear, I wasn't worried about braking, more of running into an animal, or a deep pothole you didn't see, curb, who knows... my buddy hit a deer last year with it. I like to prepare for the worse case and hope for the best. I had to run over a P-Qpine back in the day with my Transalp. I was heeled over in a sharp curve, straightened up, smoked the beast then leaned it back into the curve. Ended up on the wrong side of the road but did keep it on the asphalt. Mind you, that was in '88 or '89, probably my reaction time was a little sharper than now. Yeah yeah, I know I'm rambling...

Fastenal lists a low profile socket head A-4 stainless which is 8.8 or grade 5. The only problem is they outsource them and they come in a box of 200. If Some one wanted to do group buy I would be in. They look just like Carrozzeria bolts only stainless. And did I mention no rust.

Hey, I certainly don't mind being corrected. Thanks. Strange that fastener dude I dealt with didn't know that... I probably would have gone for it prior to painting, replacing, repainting most of my bolts already. I only have 12 to go and already have them ordered.

I like the black look, eventually I will have pretty-much all the parts I can painted or powder coated black. Did the scoops and they look great.

I will stick something in my first post to correct the misinformation.

I went to Fastenals web site. The low head socket 8mmx16mm A-4 are not listed now as 80. They are probably 70. I believe that's about 10% below 8.8 in tensile strength. They listed them as min. Tensile 500mpa min. Yield 210mpa what ever that is in English.

I installed a BrakeAway throttle lock and a GPS unit. The Brakeaway works great. I haven't had a chance to test the GPS but looking forward to some exploring!

Blaine

GPS, Yes Very Cool and how did you mount it? I 'm looking into doing the same thing so it can be swapped between bikes...

Which GPS unit are you using and are you satisfied with it?

I just sent some helpful links about the product, its features, and how to install it. I am working this weekend and haven't had a chance to take the GPS for a test ride. I did some reading and this unit gets good reviews and it has the text-to-voice feature which can be sent to my Scala headset.

I'll be sure to let you know how it works after I've had it out for a trip.

Blaine

Polished the archangel and then went off to enjoy this year's Farthest north, Red Cross' Ride for the red. Lots of bikes, good BBQ and live music. Not to mention a great ride.

Headed across the goldstream valley I slowed down for some road construction, a big ol baby moose went out and crossed the road. Dude didn't have a care in the world, just leasurely walked from one side to the other.

Then later on while passing gold hill, a marmot was trying to cross the highway. He would waddle to the middle of the road then turn around and waddle back. He did this about 3 times before I passed. Couldn't help but laugh. If you have seen a marmot trying to move quickly you would have laughed too. :clapping:

Only down side was my video camera's mount was getting stripped out and the video is pretty bouncey. Damn plastic insert. I never payed attention to it, on my other cameras its made of metal.

Oh well, it was still a nice 80 deg day. The tune up on the bike was a great happy medium. Front end comes up real nice, and is pretty light for the first 3 gears. Glancing down at my speedo, 90-100-120 came up real quick. :biglaugh:

Best part is I got over 41 mpg, with a ton of twists of the loud lever. I was not nice to it at all. So this tune up is definately going in the log book for a good summer tune.

Attachments

• 7_9_11_a.jpg
    7_9_11_a.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 7_9_11_b.jpg
    7_9_11_b.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 18
Swingarm in place. paint repairs completed. Driveshaft in. Stuck wheel in diff. Bolted up diff. Could not slide axle through. Pulled diff And wheel out. Pulled wheel off. Inserted axle through sealed bearing and up against the spacer, used rubber mallet to gently drive out the roller bearing with the axle. Pulled spacer out. It had a sleight pien on one end and the axle couldn't fit in. Used a Long tapered reamer with the fat end exactly the right diameter to clean up bore. Man was I lucky to have that reamer. All back together no problems. Wheel and diff. Back on swing arm. Axle in.

Ordered up an oil pressure guage kit from Cycle One Off, hope to get and have it installed Fri..............................Tom.

I have an oil pressure gauge on both bikes. With them being faster now. It doesn't take much for the oil level light to come on. It's comforting to have a gauge to look at and see the pressure's stable....:biglaugh: COO's stuff is great......

Latest posts

Back