What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unloaded Max off of the trailer after hauling it back down from the Panhandle. What an awesome time--took the backroads in and around my old stomping grounds of Niceville, Ft. Walton Beach, Destin, Crestview, and Navarre Beach. God! What gorgeous rides and so neat to go back and reminisce.

Installed a new starter on my 03. Hot and misrable outside in the Sun but preferable to the voracious skeeters in the evening. So far so good and I hope this cures the hot start problems plagueing my bike for the last two years. Not easy but neither too complicated. A bike lift is essential as the starter sits very low. Once the radiator and hses are out of the way and also the "T" pipe, the rest is not too hard. Helps to have a second person rotate the rear wheel while in gear to line up the gear teeth. Got the best price on a starter from Motorcyle Superstore . $202 with free shipping. God it is great to feel the V-Boost kick in! That burst of speed when I want it is why I will never sell my Max as long as I am alive! ttfndoc

That much stuff doesn't have to come off to get it out. It's just the combination of holding your tongue and squinting your eyes.

Sean

Installed a new starter on my 03. Hot and misrable outside in the Sun but preferable to the voracious skeeters in the evening. So far so good and I hope this cures the hot start problems plagueing my bike for the last two years. Not easy but neither too complicated. A bike lift is essential as the starter sits very low. Once the radiator and hses are out of the way and also the "T" pipe, the rest is not too hard. Helps to have a second person rotate the rear wheel while in gear to line up the gear teeth. Got the best price on a starter from Motorcyle Superstore . $202 with free shipping. God it is great to feel the V-Boost kick in! That burst of speed when I want it is why I will never sell my Max as long as I am alive! ttfndoc

With an '03 I'm surprised it's a bad starter.

Sweated it out today in the garage installing the DD clutch mod. Now my clutch pulls in about half way firmly. Switched out my oil to Rotella 15w40 and a new bosch 3323 oil filter. Going to run her tomorrow morning to work to see how this new clutch setup pulls. Wish me luck

Sweated it out today in the garage installing the DD clutch mod. Now my clutch pulls in about half way firmly. Switched out my oil to Rotella 15w40 and a new bosch 3323 oil filter. Going to run her tomorrow morning to work to see how this new clutch setup pulls. Wish me luck

Same set up here Mike. You're going to love it. I've been using the 3323's for a while now along with Rotella 15-40. Wish I did the DD long ago. Hang on.
Steve-o

installed the new braided clutch line, new clutch master, hopefully my creeping in gear when hot goes away.

installed the vboost back onto the bike, well just the butterflies so i can sync the stg seven, have to find a servo motor to finish the install, but at the same time chg all the 8 rubber joints between the intake manifold and carb to intake. found 4 with cuts in them and one bad cracked one.

did all that and forgot to bring my motion pro sync tool, its about 4000+ miles away, oh well cant remember every tool with me, so use my weber tomorrow and hopefully its not too off for the sunday ride.

no handle bars came in so that jobs gonna wait til fall time i guess. so test day tomorrow, fingers crossed hahaha

thanks dan for the info, two heads better then one, ok just a excuse to call you and chat hahaha

Polished the archangel and then went off to enjoy this year's Farthest north, Red Cross' Ride for the red. Lots of bikes, good BBQ and live music. Not to mention a great ride.

Headed across the goldstream valley I slowed down for some road construction, a big ol baby moose went out and crossed the road. Dude didn't have a care in the world, just leasurely walked from one side to the other.

Then later on while passing gold hill, a marmot was trying to cross the highway. He would waddle to the middle of the road then turn around and waddle back. He did this about 3 times before I passed. Couldn't help but laugh. If you have seen a marmot trying to move quickly you would have laughed too. :clapping:

Only down side was my video camera's mount was getting stripped out and the video is pretty bouncey. Damn plastic insert. I never payed attention to it, on my other cameras its made of metal.

Oh well, it was still a nice 80 deg day. The tune up on the bike was a great happy medium. Front end comes up real nice, and is pretty light for the first 3 gears. Glancing down at my speedo, 90-100-120 came up real quick. :biglaugh:

Best part is I got over 41 mpg, with a ton of twists of the loud lever. I was not nice to it at all. So this tune up is definately going in the log book for a good summer tune.

bikes looking sharp KJ, the million dollar question man, whats the set up???? do share

bikes looking sharp KJ, the million dollar question man, whats the set up???? do share

Altitide: 440 Feet
Exhaust: Kerker 4-2-1, Carbon fiber can (12") 2" comp baffle/turned down tip
Stock carbs: Morley Muscle Kit (slides not drilled)
Mains: 150 Mikuni
PAJ 1: 90 Mikuni
PAJ 2: 170 Mikuni
Needles: Stage 7 (clip 4th from the blunt end)
Springs: Stage 7
A/F: Varies from cyl to cyl, 2.5-2.75 turns out.
Vboost: Stock

I'm thinking theres a little more left too. Going to have to pull the plugs and have a look-see.

Altitide: 440 Feet
Exhaust: Kerker 4-2-1, Carbon fiber can (12") 2" comp baffle/turned down tip
Stock carbs: Morley Muscle Kit (slides not drilled)
Mains: 150 Mikuni
PAJ 1: 90 Mikuni
PAJ 2: 170 Mikuni
Needles: Stage 7 (clip 4th from the blunt end)
Springs: Stage 7
A/F: Varies from cyl to cyl, 2.5-2.75 turns out.
Vboost: Stock

I'm thinking theres a little more left too. Going to have to pull the plugs and have a look-see.

not far off of mine and ya i get 40-42 also on the highway 75-80mph. im running on the 3rd clip with stg 7 needles, drilled slides and no morley parts that i know of. 2.25 turns out. gonna be taking her on a long trip this weekend i'll see if it chg, gonna play around with the set up a little.

After taking apart my digital camera for the last time (had to clean the bugs out, the auto lens cover and all were jammed up) I decided to get a dedicated video camera for the bike.

I looked at quite a few, I loved the GoPro but not the pricetag. I still wanted to go with an HD unit. 1080 or 720, either would do.

I ended up on tigerdirect.com and bought a refurbished flip 8gb ultra hd. I know flip has been bought out and the line stopped. but for under $70 and up to 2 hours of 720 hd I couldn't pass it up, not to mention it records at 60fps for some smooth video. The think I like about it is; Its bone-head simple, Comes with a LiPo battery that is recharged when you plug it in to the computer. But if your on the road and it dies, normal AAA's will work just fine.

Setting it up was a breaze. Just date, time, sound on, and recording light on. Software is preprogramed, so you just plug it in and your good to go.

I'm going to put it on my bike this afternoon on the mount I made for the other camera and see how it works. I'll post a thorough write up and vid later.

sweet cant wait to see the videos of bike in action, nos run or burn outs seems thats the only pics i see of your bike hahahah perfect

Which GPS unit are you using and are you satisfied with it?

Garmin Zumo 550 review: (1st impressions)!

Received unit from GPS city with 36 hours of ordering from GPS city. Unfortuntaly the first GPS I received had a defective bluetooth chip and would not "talk" to my scala. GPS City had a second Zumo 550 at my house in 3 days (due to back-order).

Installation: Easy! Everything from Garmin and Ram-mount comes in the package.

Software: The unit comes pre-installed with all the Canada/US maps plus a free download a future new maps.

Connectivity: paired up with my Scala on first attempt. Got it "talking" and playing tunes through my headset in 5 minutes. The Text-to-Speech works great.

Sound: It is limited to mono sound due to my Scala Q2 only supporting this format. Newer versions of Scala may support stereo. It was easy to hear the instructions in town and the freeway and speeds up 120 kph (keep in mind my Bandit has a half-fairing and stock exhaust so there's not much background noise). The quality of sound when listening to MP3's is so-so at best.

Routing: This thing can re-calculate a route with 100 yards of taking a wrong turn. I went off the beaten path on purpose several times and it had me back on track quickly.

My 1st impressions are overall very positive.

Any questions, please ask.

Blaine

Does it lock in the ram mount? If you have to take it with you does the power supply disconnect in the mount or do you have to unplug a wire?

Does it lock in the ram mount? If you have to take it with you does the power supply disconnect in the mount or do you have to unplug a wire?

There's a locking tab on top of the ram mount. Simply push the tab downward and it secures the gps in place. A locking screw adds a bit of extra security so that no one can simply pluck it off your bike easily. The screw head is very unorthodox so it can't be undone with a regular screwdriver. Ram mount supplies the tool for engaging/disengaging the security screw and it is designed to attach to your key-chain.

You do not need to plug/unplug the zumo when installing or removing the unit from the mount. The wiring harness runs from the battery to a small plug on the mount. The power from this plug goes to contacts on the mount. Matching contacts on the gps line up with the mount to supply its power.

As soon as you remove the gps from the mount, the Zumo displays a message asking if you wish to continue on battery power; click "yes" and the unit has an internal battery with a claimed 4 hours of life, click "no" and the unit shuts off, if you do not see the message the Zumo powers down after 30 seconds of being disconnected from its power source.

I added a few pics. Hope this answers your questions.

Cheers!

Blaine

Attachments

• GPS1.jpg
    GPS1.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 20
  • gps2.jpg
    gps2.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 13
  • gps3.jpg
    gps3.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 14
So far so good. Bike is starting better than ever and no drain on the battery. Plan to drive it to work tommorrow. Bike has been out of action so much , I only have 14k+ miles on it(an 03). I have replaced 4 batteries, two voltageregulators , a stator and now the starter. It will be nice to have a reliable bike for a change.

Latest posts

Back