What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stripped an eBay doner countershaft down

Lots of axle wear near the middle gear, a chip out of the 1st gear dogs and what looks like casting imperfections in the 4th gear teeth

But I'm happy because 2nd & 5th look good

No money for an undercut but when these go in I should at least get 2nd gear back

Threw the Open Ends Caps on my SuperTrapps and they are Definitely louder than the Closed End Caps.
I'm going to leave them on fo a while and see how I like the new Noise level. :)

Attachments

• Open_Caps_2.jpg
    Open_Caps_2.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 26
not sure i'd call them good myself.

Agree you're probably right. I was thinking of those who are contemplating Trapps as a slip on - upgrade from stock.

Here's your new slip on sound , with open & closed caps , here's your next upgrade , Headers .......... Marks ......... Kerker .........UFO ........... Walker ............ etc.,..........Here's some cans ........... etc.

i found an oem sissy a few weeks ago for a VERY good price. it's blacked pc'd and initially figured i'd just strip off the pc and polish it up to match the virago grab rail. however, while i waited for that little square coupling bracket that holds the oem sissy grab rails together, the black pc grew on me. so when the bracket did finally arrive, i figured that i'd just paint the polished virago grab rail, see how the black would look on max, and if i didn't like what i see, then i would just strip off the black. well, i did like what i see and so have elected to keep everything black.

i ran into a little setback in my attempt to declare victory, though. i decided to go with the virago grab rail/oem sissy bar setup because i wanted a "quick switch" solution that didn't involve having to dismount the entire rear fender assembly and didn't like that how the HAC, UFO, and others looked. i preferred how the oem sissy bar just "belonged". HOWEVER, what i didn't pick up in all of what i read, is that because of how the back rest frame and the virago grab rail widen out at the bottom, one cannot simply just remove the four allen screws and switch the pieces. ugh. so for the next two days i licked the wounds inflicted on the wallet and dug through the sofa cushions for cash to fund a second solution. as the days passed, i thought about it some more and found a compromise. i didn't affix the right grab rail of the sissy assembly to that little square coupling bracket and the auxiliary brake light panel. now all i have to do to change out the virago grab rail with the oem backrest is fiddle with the three bolts that hold the sissy grab rail to the frame and fender. sure it's not the quick "4 allen screw" job i was looking for, BUT it no longer requires the removal of the entire fender assembly. so i'm happy. YIPPEE!

Drilled out the top bolt for the kick stand switch and used new bolts. Then put the starter clutch cover and it's partner back on. Refilled the fluids. Took it for a cruise. Trying to get ready for a trip to Green River, WY and Kansas City, KS. Yesterday was installing a new starter motor soooo much fun.

Agree you're probably right. I was thinking of those who are contemplating Trapps as a slip on - upgrade from stock.

Here's your new slip on sound , with open & closed caps , here's your next upgrade , Headers .......... Marks ......... Kerker .........UFO ........... Walker ............ etc.,..........Here's some cans ........... etc.
I think Sean was referring to the Gears in the post above yours not the SuperTrapps.

Took a break from video editing and drawing. I went for a nice ride around town and to the store. Came home and started tweaking the template for my new flyscreen. I have about 10 designs I've come up with, now its time to pick one and get to fabricating.

Looks like shit to me. I've yet to open an engine and find any I liked though. The edges should have nice "sharp" corners to them. You can see the obvious wear on the rounding of the edges. Look at the opposite edge to get a better idea of the correct profile.

That picture reminds me of what mine looked like too... Mine was skipping in second gear... After all the trouble of the tear down i dont think i would use those... You will have same issue again in a month.

Sent from my GT-I9000M using Tapatalk 2

I put my front brake upgrade on today! Very happy with the stopping power now. Went on great with the Morley Brackets. Busa calipers and R1 rotors.

Attachments

• 2012-05-17 13.28.29.jpg
    2012-05-17 13.28.29.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 45
  • 2012-05-17 13.32.09.jpg
    2012-05-17 13.32.09.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 41
  • 2012-05-17 13.30.49.jpg
    2012-05-17 13.30.49.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 37
When the calipers were shipped they were in ziplock bags. The brake fluid took the paint off. I stripped them and painted them with the Ceramic caliper paint from Advance Autoparts.

Picked it up from the shop and synced the carbs (since they forgot). Had it dyno tuned for a new intake. Have 126hp now.

Attachments

• 85max.jpg
    85max.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 22
@ost85vmax. What did you pay for that dyno tune ? Would like to Rp that with mine but no idea what I'm looking at cost wise

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Latest posts

Back