What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just installed some LED license plate lights. At least now I am legal!

Hey, "Spud," does your bike go, "potato-potato?":biglaugh:

You might want to consider another of those mounted on the bottom-middle, facing-up so the PD can't say, "the whole plate isn't lit."

Admired my new Exactrep 20L fuel tank, LED blinkers, short-ass rear mudguard and other goodies I got in a great private deal over here..

..and wondered when I'll ever get my bike to put them all on! :bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head:

I modified my Ignitech TCI system to takeover for broken Boost controller, for those not familiar with Ignitech here is a link to it.

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=23506

Bazwell and Dingy both did an incredible job detailing how to install this modification. One nice feature of Ignitech is that its completely programmable for both ignition and servo motor on V-boost and I feel its user friendly.
here is link for setting up for boost

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?p=259106#post259106

below are pics of boost maps
current boost map

5-24-2012 test 4.jpg

New map testing tomorrow
Boost 6-1-2012 test 3.jpg

Thanks,
John
85 Vmax #3414
:punk:

Attachments

• 5-24-2012 test 4.jpg
    5-24-2012 test 4.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 24
  • Boost 6-1-2012 test 3.jpg
    Boost 6-1-2012 test 3.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 24
Hey, "Spud," does your bike go, "potato-potato?":biglaugh:

You might want to consider another of those mounted on the bottom-middle, facing-up so the PD can't say, "the whole plate isn't lit."

That's not a bad idea. We'll see what happens. At least I have lights now though. Before the PO had nothing, he'd been running it that way for 4 years...not right but I guess he got lucky or never rode at night.

I have just started the retrofit of all LED turnsignals, and driving lights on my Vmax. I'm quite the LED officianado so I'm putting all high end LED's in the elements so that they are incredibly visible. None of those 5mm BS LED's. The driving Lights/Fog lights are going to be SST-90 Led's capable of 2200 lumens each! The turn signals will have XM-L led's specifically chosen to be the color of the lens they are housed behind (bag that, the xm-l doesn't come in any color but white. Each of the XM-L's are capable of 700 lumens. (the colored dies make them less efficient) so teh bike will be incredibly bright.

I'll have to machine custom heatsinks to go with each of the LED's as they do produce a lot of heat. While moving this won't be much of an issue, but we aren't always moving sooo, the heatsinks are kind of necessary. I've gotten the led turn signals from ebay and have already started gutting them for the new led's. Tail light is going to be fun too!

Here is an example of the output of a SST-90 LED on full power.
VP2K65004C1.jpg

I stole the beamshot from a light forum, but it's just an example of the output power.

Perhaps I should start a new thread detailing all the steps eh?

How's this for a light to fit on my engine guards.
http://dx.com/p/t6-xml-t6-3-mode-12...ke-light-with-battery-pack-set-94182?item=108

Little bit of changing and it will take a SST-90

Well I started off going to get a new steer tire put on, woohoo. Well the bike had been making a noise from the rear, I replaced the wheel bearings both sides. But the noise did not go away, but was better. When the owner of the bike shop was rolling my max in he hears that noise and asked about it. We starting looking into it farther and ended up getting the wheel off the bike and then took the rear end off. We scoped the rear gears and nothing broken or chipped. I took the housing apart and found the bearings on the gear side where making all the noise, I go to put the bike back together and as I am bolting the end housing back I hear a "pop" nothing was in a bind nor was I over tighten any of the bolts, I have no ideal why it busted the rear end housing but sure as shit it did. I placed a call into Sean and he has one that he can send out on Monday.
mybrokerearend.jpg

So while the bike is down I will be using my old bosses bike a BMW1000. I felt like I was riding an oversize scooter, the BMW is so light weight and quite I do not feel like I am riding a motorcycle. It has all the bells and whistles but I would not buy one, give me a MAX any day of the week, I guess I got spoiled on the power and the feel of a MAX:rofl_200:

Funny the way that crack seems to run, I would have thought of a stress crack, but if that was the case you would think it would let go before now. Maybe the bad bearings put stresses into it which caused it to fail?

Years ago, I was riding my KZ1000 and about 200 yards from getting onto I-95 south of Ft. Lauderdale. As I accelerated away from the last light before swinging onto the interstate onramp, my rear tire locked up! I slid to a stop, and was fortunate that no one rear-ended me, it was a foggy day.

I got the bike into a garage across the intersection, and a kind mechanic allowed me to leave the bike safely there while I returned home to get my truck. When the engine was disassembled, the ball bearing outer race had totally cracked around its circumference, causing the output/countershaft it rode on to lock the chain drive & tire immobile.

Well it was not 'cracked' till I was putting it all back together. There was a 'popping' sound, the other mech. on the next lift said ' what was that 'pop'? That's when I turned the diff over to see that. The owner was looking up bearing numbers so we could order them, but I yelled to him, " you can stop looking for bearing and see what a diff cost?" His reply, "Paul, why do I need to look up a diff?" lol, I yelled back, "I broke it."

Pulled both front forks and replaced oil seals. Installed polished PVC covers from Sean, completely rebuilt both masters including a nice gloss black powder coat ( looks real nice), blasted and powdered faux tank, applied top notch 2k clear coat Nd wet sanded and polished up to a nice piece showing Sean's jet kit through top. Bleed front brakes, bleed and bleed X10 the clutch master. All in prep for the Sun Praire Wi "Motors and Music" car and bike show! First show ever, wish me luck.

Looked at it, rode it, bought it, put it in my truck and hauled it to my g/f's where it's still in the bed of my truck in the garage. Hauling to my place tomorrow, where I will welcome the monster to it's new home.:thumbs up:

Attachments

• New Vmax 002.jpg
    New Vmax 002.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 27
Nice... Great to hear you got one. Now first thing you do is get radials on that sucker for the handling... Looks like there enuff go fast goodies already lol...

Sent from my GT-I9000M using Tapatalk 2

Pulled both front forks and replaced oil seals. Installed polished PVC covers from Sean, completely rebuilt both masters including a nice gloss black powder coat ( looks real nice), blasted and powdered faux tank, applied top notch 2k clear coat Nd wet sanded and polished up to a nice piece showing Sean's jet kit through top. Bleed front brakes, bleed and bleed X10 the clutch master. All in prep for the Sun Praire Wi "Motors and Music" car and bike show! First show ever, wish me luck.

Good luck! :biglaugh:

Pics or it didn't happen! (I'd love to see you PC'd faux tank!)

Speaking of handling... I've never ridden a Vmax until today. At low speeds, like around 20 or 30 mph, I thought I felt a very strange sort of wandering tendency in the front. Felt like it didn't know where to go, like it was tracking funny, back and forth. Nothing odd at higher speeds. Maybe I'm nuts.

Speaking of handling... I've never ridden a Vmax until today. At low speeds, like around 20 or 30 mph, I thought I felt a very strange sort of wandering tendency in the front. Felt like it didn't know where to go, like it was tracking funny, back and forth. Nothing odd at higher speeds. Maybe I'm nuts.

Depends on the tires. Bias ply are notorious for following grooves in the pavement depending on tread design. And of course the max dont like going slow anyway...lol. check your front tire for.cupping feathering or odd wear. Ill bet that is the culprit. If u get a high speed wobbble then thats the steering head bearings. Either repack or replace depending om.condition and tighten to.morley specs... Aka bounce test.

Sent from my GT-I9000M using Tapatalk 2

Good luck! :biglaugh:

Pics or it didn't happen! (I'd love to see you PC'd faux tank!)

Here is a few pics. It's hard to see the quality of the tank. The original PC was pretty orange peel. It's hard to elevate that sometimes, but with a thick clear coat of 2k max spray and a good sand and buff it looks real nice. also did both my masters and really turned out sweet! Highly recommend doing the masters, it's a lot of work to get the tank to look right though!ImageUploadedByTapatalk1338636004.618169.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1338636025.596298.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1338636048.424511.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1338636116.845987.jpg

Today I did the first obvious mod to the GEN II, should aid in comfort too , there a little higher and a little pulled back. wont know for sure untill the next ride(raining now) but I think it will be more relaxed position.

Attachments

• stock bars.jpg
    stock bars.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 19
  • DRIVEN BARS from MORLEY.jpg
    DRIVEN BARS from MORLEY.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 18
Back