What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Installed LED turn signals, Truwrap LED marker lights on the fork tubes, 7inch. headlight and put marker light under grab bar where the reflector used to be.

Installed a new Avon Cobra rear tire. This will be the first time using an Avon Cobra, always had the Metzeler ME880 on the back, but they are just getting way too expensive.

Metzeler ME880 - 180/55ZR18 - $345.00 cdn (tax in)
Avon Cobra - 180/55ZR18 - $245.00 cdn (tax in)

Hopefully they hold up as well as the Metz did.

Mike
Sweet Mike, let me know how it works for ya. I see Avon has a 200 (200/55VR18 - Chaparral Motorsports @$206USD ) that would work nicely on Redbone!

Went and looked at some black paint, clear and such. I'm thinking black, with red metal flake, and so much clear the paint will look wet. Basically, I'm going to paint it like my old XS11 was. I miss that bike and I figure it will be a good homage to it.

Cut out some cardboard to test air-shifter brackets and started making a jig to build the +6" swingarm and bracing.

I also ordered a louvered faux tank from Joe, down at Boxenstopp.

Went and looked at some black paint, clear and such. I'm thinking black, with red metal flake, and so much clear the paint will look wet. Basically, I'm going to paint it like my old XS11 was. I miss that bike and I figure it will be a good homage to it.

Cut out some cardboard to test air-shifter brackets and started making a jig to build the +6" swingarm and bracing.

I also ordered a louvered faux tank from Joe, down at Boxenstopp.

Gonna look even better and run like it when you are done, ply us w/plenty of fabrication pics.

I saw Joe @ Boxenstopp's this Bike Week. I got there just as they were cleaning up from the barbeque, just in-time to see someone tip-over on their bike & snap-off a mirror stem while sitting stationary on their bike. SOmeone had a spare mirror & gave it to him, he bolted it on & away he went. Hope that was the extent of his falls that week. The Boxenstopp catalog has some great stuff. Wish I had 'carte-blanche' to order-away!

Here's a shot from my treasure-hunting today, how-many VMax goodies can you see? I will send a gas filter for your VMax to the first person who enumerates all of the VMax objects in the picture!

Attachments

• parts_2012_08_30.zip
    518.6 KB · Views: 18
Gonna look even better and run like it when you are done, ply us w/plenty of fabrication pics.
Here's a shot from my treasure-hunting today, how-many VMax goodies can you see? I will send a gas filter for your VMax to the first person who enumerates all of the VMax objects in the picture!

Dang, FM! Soon enough, you'll be able to erect a whole 'nother second Max with all the parts you keep stirring up. :rofl_200:.

The paint brush might-be a 'tie-breaker!' Unfortunately I cannot use it, it's a 'left-handed' one!:biglaugh:

Which reminds me of the blonde who was trapped on the escalator for an hour and a half when the power failed. She spent the time re-winding her cd's, and listening to both types of music on her iPod, "country and western."

Moved my oil pressure gauge from the water pump up to the handlebars. What a big difference to actually be able to see the pressure while riding! Thanks to KJ for hooking me up with the link to the longer SS line, it worked great. I might see about plastic coating the line this winter to keep the braiding from chaffing the frame.

Moved my oil pressure gauge from the water pump up to the handlebars. What a big difference to actually be able to see the pressure while riding! Thanks to KJ for hooking me up with the link to the longer SS line, it worked great. I might see about plastic coating the line this winter to keep the braiding from chaffing the frame.

here's a question, does oil go up that whole line now?

Had an idea, so I went out and took some pictures of my bike. Later on tonight, it's going to be some tape and cardboard to see it it will look the way I want it to.

just came in from tinkering on the max. the ol ladys says to me

"Did you fix yer thundertrapps?" :rofl_200::rofl_200:

she cracks me up at least 5 times a day:rofl_200:

Started with the planning on new instrumentation. So I, ended up at Radio Shack for new LED indicators some resistors and bought new oil press, voltmeter, water temp gauges, new arming and purge switches and a new t-boost switch.
I have an idea for placement of the fuel and nitrous pressure gauges. Will have a photo mock-up to share later on. Now it's time to change the belt on the Hawkmobile

I wished mine was here, if that counts!!! Very impressed with the stuff you guys do to your bikes, I want mine in the 10's in the years to come... Keep up the good work fellas!

Took a bunch of measurements, and my plan is doable.
The lower gauge cluster will contain new oil pressure, voltmeter, and water temp gauges.

The top cluster will be fabricated (hence the duct tape and cardboard usage as a template) I have a friend that is in some metalworking classes at the university, I'm going to try and get him to mill out or make me new handlebar clamps that will take the mini speedo/tach.

Above that will be the new pod. It will be smaller than it appears in the photoshop as I can't really get the skewing right, but the straight on pic is pretty close. It will have on the sides of my shift light nitrous pressure and fuel pressure. Below, the nitrous arming switch and purge button (have to have some bike night bling in there somewhere) then the T-boost switch, then the warning LED's.

I'm designing the pod to have a, oval-ish shape to blend in with the lower gauge cluster (basically the same size and shape, but a little taller) The outside of the case with taper and slope down, I'm thinking this will blend nicely with my headlights and act as a minor wind directional. It will fit on the old crown cover so it can easily be bolted on the risers and removed for maint. The only thing I would have to do is pop the two bolts that hold my headlight on and pull the headlight to gain access to it.

instrumentcluster2013.jpg

layout1d.jpg

I think it will turn out alright.

where did you get those brake and clutch levers KJ? me likeee:biglaugh:

The clutch would sometimes firm up and do a lot of hard shifting and neutral was impossible to find. I replaced the fluid from 2006 and bled the system out. It's much better now :)

Side note - anybody have any tips for avoiding splash from the reservoir? I can't seem to do this or brakes without breaking out the touch up paint shortly after, no matter how quick I am with the rags.

Latest posts

Back