What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Be nice if someone made a kit to make these forks adjustable for compression and rebound as well as preload...
Preload I've fine tuned with some washers. I started with 1" but wanted just a little more.
When I put progressive springs in, my preload was to high with OEM spacers . I'm saving up for an R1 fork set up, or I'd do emulators. these forks will go on my 85 project.
Steve

Heat shield installation.
My heatshields arrived yesterday so I was excited to get them installed. I've never had the front section of my seat off so this was the first task. After reading the service manual it was very easy to get the seat off. That was the easiest part of this adventure. After some adjusting I got the heatshields installed, thanks Sean, they look awesome. While I had the seat off I decided to "fix" a sticky release lever on one side, it was rubbing on the fender so I tried to bend it out a little, not realizing there is a very flimsy backing plate on the inside of the release that also bent allowing the arm to slip off it's pivot, now it doesn't work at all.... The only way I could see to repair this was to remove the complete fender, and fix the release lever. Just as I'm turning the last few threads on the last bolt holding the fender it suddenly lets go and drops to the floor, pulling ALL the rear wiring apart as it falls....I was able to bend the plate that holds the lever and spring assembly together, get the back fender back on and now to figure out the wiring. I have an led brake light on the sissybar so this complicated things but at the end of the day I got it all back together and working properly, it was close to midnight before I was done though...The joys of wrenching on your VMax....now time for a nice ride.

Placed Transformer Grip endcaps to go with the Iso grips I have on order. Had April & Starting Line find out for me how much powdercoating for various parts would be. Got home, took the air horn on the top off, and took her for a ride. After a few hours riding, I have formed a few impressions.

The air horn STAYS OFF! I found that the bike idles better, feels less abrupt when I open the throttle, no power loss anywhere in the powerband, and it even feels a bit more responsive up top.

Yeah, that ride... goin through a curve, downshifting to 2nd kicking out the rear slightly and giving a squeeze of go-juice... GREAT FUN! Scared a few college students though lol.

Question; is it a bad thing to be wearing a Honda Racing skullcap while riding a Yamaha musclebike? lol

Placed Transformer Grip endcaps to go with the Iso grips I have on order. Had April & Starting Line find out for me how much powdercoating for various parts would be. Got home, took the air horn on the top off, and took her for a ride. After a few hours riding, I have formed a few impressions.

The air horn STAYS OFF! I found that the bike idles better, feels less abrupt when I open the throttle, no power loss anywhere in the powerband, and it even feels a bit more responsive up top.

Yeah, that ride... goin through a curve, downshifting to 2nd kicking out the rear slightly and giving a squeeze of go-juice... GREAT FUN! Scared a few college students though lol.

Question; is it a bad thing to be wearing a Honda Racing skullcap while riding a Yamaha musclebike? lol

Answer: it is if you value being able to ride after the latte'-swilling texting moron sideswipes you into the hospital and you're protected by only your "do-rag.":confused2:

The forum members who have experience in that mod will probably inform you the removal of the "airhorn" will detrimentally-affect your power, throttle response, and drivability. Your results may differ. Shimming it up is the most-trouble-free and effective mod, rather than eliminating it entirely.
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=17923&highlight=shimming

The forum members who have experience in that mod will probably inform you the removal of the "airhorn" will detrimentally-affect your power, throttle response, and drivability. Your results may differ. Shimming it up is the most-trouble-free and effective mod, rather than eliminating it entirely.
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=17923&highlight=shimming

After a couple hours riding, I think my results do differ. I have noticed that some in the thread you shared had positive results with doing as I did, but that they had different jetting from stock. Makes me want to pull the carbs just to check to see how they are jetted exactly.

I think I shall ride it like this for a week or so, then put it back on to compare again. It is still a bit early to judge, where as I did this just today.

Been having issues with led brake light, buddy is putting a voltage regulator from a R1, hope this works.

Been having issues with led brake light, buddy is putting a voltage regulator from a R1, hope this works.

What kind of issues?? If your having problems with voltage it would show in other place also not just brake lights. Do you have resistors on your LED brake lights, check all your connections.

Last edited:
I tighten my steering bearing today but i forget to loosen the Stem nut and the hallen bolt on the triple tree. These steps are important in the procedure or not ?

Looked at some new stuff. Then I went to the shed to get the turbos out of the box. Box was there, turbo's weren't. Not so much pissed as frustrated. That little fucktard nephew of mine and his friend's. I don't know which one took them but between stolen things and damage while my sister and her brood stayed at my digs is head spinning. I quit adding after $30k

Looked at some new stuff. Then I went to the shed to get the turbos out of the box. Box was there, turbo's weren't. Not so much pissed as frustrated. That little fucktard nephew of mine and his friend's. I don't know which one took them but between stolen things and damage while my sister and her brood stayed at my digs is head spinning. I quit adding after $30k

I would be out for some SERIOUS blood right about now.

Can you take it out of his ass??? That is some serious loss and damage.

Damn! That would get me to never contact or have anything to do with my sibling ever again.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Wow that sucks sorry to hear this. I cant stand a thief. I would be ad as hell.:real mad:

is this still from years ago?

Back