What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took a photo of the finished product. 18 months of renovating a 1989. But cannot get the pic to upload. Is this site iPad unfriendly?

Save the pic to your iPad album. Use the 'manage attachments' button below your post a bit. Make the 'choose existing' option. Make your single picture choice. The limitation is that I can only get 1 pic to load to any message. If I try to load a second pic from my iPad, the pic there is overwritten and replaced by the new selection. There may be a trick to getting multiple pics to be accepted, but I haven't found it. Load one, and then use your home computer to edit/add more pics later.

Here's a sample from my friend's shop. A J-model based KZ1000 which turns high 6's, and that's not in the eighth-mile!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 34
This week, all I did was wait...
%2525255BUNSET%2525255D.jpg

If half my bike is '93 and the other half is '99 does that make it a '96?

Well it's August 22, and I finally got my bike on the rode. Did a ton over the winter/spring/summer. List is long, but highlights include: Lots of PC work, front/rear radial conversion (with 18" Vrod rear wheel), complete rebuild of carbs, Morley frame connectors, faux tank repair for PC, fork rebuild and some other add-ons:

Here's a pic of the bike (still not washed, so go easy on me)

pic3.jpg

And here is one of the rear tire. This wheel was on ebay and some commented that it had too much offset (there was a link and it was on a green Vmax), which was true as the PO did not attempt to correct. I grabbed it as I really wanted to put radials on...let me tell ya...it was the best thing I ever did! The radials in combination with the frame connectors completely changed the ride/handling of my bike...the radial upgrade was a huge plus...ya really need to ride it to believe what a difference those 2 items made...of course the complete carb rebuild really improved drivability, but I'm SOOOOOOOO happy I went with the radials & connectors. I used the adjustable pivot bolt on both sides and I'm happy with the offset. Very fun machine to drive right now :punk:
pic4.jpg

Well it's August 22, and I finally got my bike on the rode. Did a ton over the winter/spring/summer. List is long, but highlights include: Lots of PC work, front/rear radial conversion (with 18" Vrod rear wheel), complete rebuild of carbs, Morley frame connectors, faux tank repair for PC, fork rebuild and some other add-ons:

Here's a pic of the bike (still not washed, so go easy on me)

View attachment 38685

And here is one of the rear tire. This wheel was on ebay and some commented that it had too much offset (there was a link and it was on a green Vmax), which was true as the PO did not attempt to correct. I grabbed it as I really wanted to put radials on...let me tell ya...it was the best thing I ever did! The radials in combination with the frame connectors completely changed the ride/handling of my bike...the radial upgrade was a huge plus...ya really need to ride it to believe what a difference those 2 items made...of course the complete carb rebuild really improved drivability, but I'm SOOOOOOOO happy I went with the radials & connectors. I used the adjustable pivot bolt on both sides and I'm happy with the offset. Very fun machine to drive right now :punk:
View attachment 38686

Yep, my sentiments exactly-the best move you can make on a 'Max is radials, however you do it. Everything else can wait, assuming you have a safe and reliable bike. If not, "make it -so!" Then, radials. Don't end-up looking like a man with an insect on his face, go radials first!
images

It wasn't my first upgrade, but now that's done I kinda wish it had...was hesitant on pulling the trigger due to the cost, but once that converted Vrod wheel came on I knew I had a good chance of doing the conversion for reasonable $$. I got that wheel with decent 180 rubber for $400...an absolute steel IMHO.

Marks 4-2, HD oiling, clutch lever bearing kit, and a center stand for garage use all on the way. Thanks Sean! Also would like to let everyone know that the cobras getting modified via Sean and the mishap at the drag strip was partially my fault. How he keeps that bike straight at 140+ is beyond me because it was sketchy at 10. But Sean still worked a deal with me and everyone is happy. Except his ankle.

It's in pretty bad shape right now. Wife says I need to drink a lot more water to see if that will help flush the system and get the swelling down. Imagine if I had not been wearing the thick race boots!

Attachments

• IMG_20130822_210814_523.jpg
    IMG_20130822_210814_523.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20130822_210834_998.jpg
    IMG_20130822_210834_998.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20130822_210844_800.jpg
    IMG_20130822_210844_800.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 27
Holy crap Sean! The worst I saw of it was up higher almost your calf! Even the inside there looks colorful and plump! Man I feel bad. Just a real shitty deal all around.

It's in pretty bad shape right now. Wife says I need to drink a lot more water to see if that will help flush the system and get the swelling down. Imagine if I had not been wearing the thick race boots!

Ouch!

Ankle injuries are the worst too, makes going out to do anything a pain in the ass. Hope it mends up quickly!

Sorry, you're injured, Sean.

Today I cleaned more of the garage as part of the deal with getting the donor/flipper bike. I finished charging the battery, removed the scoops, bead blasted some paint off the pipes, and looked at some crazy fittings that are associated with the cooling system.

I'm gonna build a little blasting hut around the bike so I can go in there and clean stuff up whenever I get a chance. That's all for once it runs up and down the street a bit, though.

I polished my bike, nice and shiny. So I rode it 100ks the long way to visit a mate who is rebuilding a guzzi,he was still at work, his boss is also into bikes and knows I'm am building THE BIKE FROM HELL.
So I turned up with a roar, and positioned myself beside his outside windows and pulled a nice burnout , which pulled into a nice wheelie as I pulled on the juice.
I'm fuckin happy at this point, suck that mutha fucka, no guzzi twin pulls that shit......
I ride around and pull up outside the front door, my mates boss comes out, quite excited by all the UFO noise, I give it a few blips and a solid rev before shutting it down.
Now, I gotta say, I'm fuckin pumped, what a fuckin awesome entrance.
Turns outs my mate had left early, his replacement screen had arrived, and at his desk was the bosses wife, doing the accounts. ....
Hmmmm....
She appreciated the agitation for my "friend"..

when i sprained my ankle like that in rugby, ace bandage wraps were key to keeping it under control. that and lots of ice.

Time to get that wrapped up. In EMS the pneumonic for a soft tissue injury is ICES. ICE..COMPRESSION..ELEVATION..SPLINTING..

Time to get it wrapped up, and fast healing my friend.

I did something like that to my leg years ago when I jumped off a wall, the brusing drifted all the way down to my toes
I had a sore back a few months later - aparently it was because I changed the way I walked and kept the limp for no reason

Yea, we'll be getting ice on it again. I iced it Sunday evening but haven't done that since. Of course I am up and going all the time which doesn't help it. It's on my "bad" leg already so i'm not in as much pain as I could be (lost a lot of sensation when I had the lower leg almost amputated years ago).

If I would not have had on all my gear it would have been REALLY bad I think.

Sean

Back