What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Repacked my HMF exhaust cans last night and let's just say that it was well overdue. About 80% of the packing was blown out of them.

I know they were in need, but didn't think they were that bad.

Mike

Got any tips for doing this? I have a set that need it.

Dale #2592

Got any tips for doing this? I have a set that need it.

Dale #2592

My earlier post about this (details added):

• drill-out rivets holding exhaust tip to canister. Remove the baffle & clean any remaining fiberglas off, use a respirator and gloves, and a long sleeved-shirt to prevent aspiration of nasty fiberglas fibers into your lungs or dermatitis from airborne material causing you days of discomfort.
  • purchase specific packing from a bike shop, look in the dirtbike section because the two-strokes are always doing that & it's probably cheaper than the stuff from a co like Kerker, Two Bros, Scorpion or whoever.
  • If any of the perforations in the silencer are caked-shut w/carbon use a wire wheel or a wire brush to clean them/it.
  • Wrap the baffle allowing the fiberglas to have its 'loft'-where it is not tightly packed. In other words, it doesn't have to be tightly-packed on the circumference of the baffle. If when you open the package, it's densely-packed, and springs-apart a bit when the sheet is laid-open, then just wrap the baffle and trim the excess. Don't think, "if some is good, then more is better," and tightly-pack the baffle. Use a couple of wraps of masking tape to hold the fiberglas in-place while you re-insert the wrapped silencer.
  • Pop-rivet the tip back in-place. Hopefully, the holes in the silencer aren't 'wallowed-out,' where the tip fits loosely. If that's the case, just rotate the exhaust tip a inch one way or the other, mark where the holes of the tip would be, and drill an appropriate series of holes for the tip's holes to align w/the canister's new holes you are drilling.
  • If the old pop rivets aren't in the exhaust tip when you remove it, you may want to look-inside the exhaust canister and remove them, as they will make a most annoying rattle probably, if you don't remove them!:damn angry:
  • Take it for a ride, and every once in awhile, check the rivets. I was riding w/my friend one day, he had a Superbike Mike (Keyte) cyl head & D&D pipe-a 4/1-on his ZX1000 when his exhaust tip shot-off like a howitzer round because the rivets had loosened, and there went the tip! We never found it.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.co...M/Vance---Hines-Fiberglass-Repacking-Kit.aspx
0000-Vance---Hines-Fiberglass-Repacking-Kit----MCSS.jpg

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/9/187/4279/ITEM/Helix-Heavy-Duty-Muffler-Packing-Kit.aspx

Raining heavily in So. FL today. I just was on I-95 in Miami & must have see a half-dozen accidents where people hydroplaned and had one-car accidents, coming to rest in the middle of the expressway, or against the guardrail. Why don't people slow-down and turn-on their lights when it rains? The van I passed smashed-to-s___t in the middle of I95 was all caved-in and of-course, the idiot didn't bother to turn-on his/her 4-way flashers! There were two school buses trying to edge-around the wreck, probably on their way to Miami Dolphins Stadium for the noon game between U-Miami and U-Florida. Since my wife and both kids are all alumni of "The U," there's no-doubt about whom we will be cheering-for! (though my son did graduate from U-F for law school, and his wife for undergraduate school, but he's a 'Cane, while she is a Gator fan).

Update: The U wins in a down-to-the-wire game, 21-16! It's football season!
The Gators have a long, sad trip back north to Gainesville. Miami stays-ahead in the all-time series, and Gainesville decided to end the series. Guess they're tired of losing. But, hey, they've got Tebow, a Heisman winner, in their alumni (cut by the Patriots, that's three NFL teams and out).

:damn angry:&*^%&^%$@#!** rain! I was hoping to take a cruise on my bike today before the game, but I am a fair-weather biker. :confused2:

Last edited:
Cleaning the bike I noticed my rear brake disck was loose. So I had to retorque the bolts along with loc tight. Cleaning and inspecting really paid off this time. Thats what I did with my V-Max today.

Cleaning the bike I noticed my rear brake disck was loose. So I had to retorque the bolts along with loc tight. Cleaning and inspecting really paid off this time. Thats what I did with my V-Max today.

Good catch !! It's definitely good idea to look over your bike regularly. I would say it paid off huge for you.

I got the tail leveled, swingarm pulled, and starter clutch reassembled on the project bike.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1378608980694.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1378608980694.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 18
Took the wife for her first ride on the Vmax today. Good news.. my Muscle seat is comfy for us. Put on over a hundred miles through the hills of Colorado- Estes Park, Nederland, Central City. Bad news... With the 1inch shorter than stock shocks and our combined weight, I scrape the center stand under aggressive lean or suspension flex. It has to come off, it is ugly anyways.

Next up research on the running hot issues/ manual fan switch topics. The bike got a little hot in some stop and go conditions and died a couple times while idleing......

Finished modifying my air box lid to hold a flat panel K&N filter and now I'm breaking up around 5k... time to rip the carbs apart again... thinking of switching to a 150 PAJ2 and raising my needles another notch. I'm running 170 main jets with #40 PFJ's and my screws are out 2.5 turns, any suggestions?

Install new cell phone usb charger for to use my gps, install on off switch for charger, I bought a roll of carbon fiber paper and cut a cover on over top of my gauges to. I remove the screws for the rubber boots carbs, intake, upper air filter box boots and replace them allen screws. My cell case use magnets to hold it to the tank it has a soft pad that won't scratch the tank.

Attachments

• vmax carbo cover.JPG
    vmax carbo cover.JPG
    435.1 KB · Views: 20
  • vmax cell charger 3.JPG
    vmax cell charger 3.JPG
    268.5 KB · Views: 19
  • vmax cell charger 1.JPG
    vmax cell charger 1.JPG
    255.5 KB · Views: 19
  • vmax cell charger 2.JPG
    vmax cell charger 2.JPG
    245.6 KB · Views: 19
  • vmax screws carb.JPG
    vmax screws carb.JPG
    245.6 KB · Views: 20
Finished modifying my air box lid to hold a flat panel K&N filter and now I'm breaking up around 5k... time to rip the carbs apart again... thinking of switching to a 150 PAJ2 and raising my needles another notch. I'm running 170 main jets with #40 PFJ's and my screws are out 2.5 turns, any suggestions?

You're taking in more air. If you don't have them already, It's time to put in air correctors. Otherwise its going to run like ass above 5k. This is why the Stage 7 and Morley's Muscle kit uses them. On the plus side, to install them you don't have to take off or break down the carbs.

Thanks for the suggestion. I don't have air correctors yet, been working with what I've got on hand.

Contact your dealer, parts depot, or Sean Morley of this forum, to get them. I'm sure others out there might have them on hand too. I've never been done wrong my Sean, I'd contact him first at [email protected]

Also, Not sure if the Oak Harbor you're from is the Wa, Oak Harbor. But 170's are a bit thick assuming you're using Mikuni jets. I think 150's would suit you better.
Check out this thread; http://vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=16981 , and check out what people are running, as far as jetting.

One more thing, Welcome to the collective :punk:

Rolled her out to wipe her down for Rice-O- Rama. Hit the starter and the starter clutch finally took a crap. I though I'd get a few weeks in before dealing with it-no. So, tore it apart. and of course the three screws were hand tight and the clutch housing was cracked now. Everything else was in good order. Ok, down stairs in the gasket draw I had a couple of cover gaskets. By some strange occurrence I just removed the flywheel from a bad crank and a good starter clutch was sitting on the bench. All the parts are here. I'm going to tack weld the screws in place. I'm getting good at this fly wheel removal nightmare. The old lead hammer is my method. Whack that puller bolt and the vibrations from an impact gun. I might be watching the game today instead, but I'll be road worthy in a flash.
Steve--o

Contact your dealer, parts depot, or Sean Morley of this forum, to get them. I'm sure others out there might have them on hand too. I've never been done wrong my Sean, I'd contact him first at [email protected]

Also, Not sure if the Oak Harbor you're from is the Wa, Oak Harbor. But 170's are a bit thick assuming you're using Mikuni jets. I think 150's would suit you better.
Check out this thread; http://vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=16981 , and check out what people are running, as far as jetting.

One more thing, Welcome to the collective :punk:

I've got a UFO exhaust on it as well and they recommended running a 165 main with just the "Y" taken off and a K&N filter. I emailed Sean about the air correctors. My Oak Harbor is in OH, were about 10ft above sea level.

Inadvertently tested my old-school DYNA 3000 dip-switch rev-limiter after swapping-in a 55/60 watt bulb into my 7" headlamp, and while going for a ride to road-test the bulb. I got the bulb cheap at the local H-D used parts depot. The guy has hundreds of thousands of dollars of NOS H-D parts, new H-D bike take-offs, and used H-D parts too. Very helpful, knows his way around the H-D's and is willing to allow guys like me, who wonder, "will this fit my Jap bike?":biglaugh: to come-in and try fitment. Sunrise Auto Recycle, 640 NW 7 Ave. Ft. Lauderdale FL 33311 (954) 486-7777.

Attachments

• Hlight.5.JPG
    Hlight.5.JPG
    120.4 KB · Views: 27
Adjusted my HI beam projector lower so I could use double low beams. Should make night time riding much brighter especially since I'm using HID!

Rolled her out to wipe her down for Rice-O- Rama. Hit the starter and the starter clutch finally took a crap. I though I'd get a few weeks in before dealing with it-no. So, tore it apart. and of course the three screws were hand tight and the clutch housing was cracked now. Everything else was in good order. Ok, down stairs in the gasket draw I had a couple of cover gaskets. By some strange occurrence I just removed the flywheel from a bad crank and a good starter clutch was sitting on the bench. All the parts are here. I'm going to tack weld the screws in place. I'm getting good at this fly wheel removal nightmare. The old lead hammer is my method. Whack that puller bolt and the vibrations from an impact gun. I might be watching the game today instead, but I'll be road worthy in a flash.
Steve--o

I welded the ends of the screws in place then milled off the excess weld. The screws will never loosen again, that's for sure. Of course, removing them in the future will be a major pia.

I welded the ends of the screws in place then milled off the excess weld. The screws will never loosen again, that's for sure. Of course, removing them in the future will be a major pia.

Did that effect the balance of the flywheel much?

Got the girlfriend on the back of the VMax yesterday! Woohoo! First step success. It was funny. She was scared to death when she got on. She was damn near breaking my ribs when we first took off. I could hear her sort of in a panicked breath. I was just going to drive her slowly around the neighborhood. Going around cul-de-sacs so she could get used to the bike leaning and such. After a few turns that panicked breathing turned into childlike giggling. It was great. When we pulled back into the garage and took the helmets off, she had a big smile across her face.

I told her she did really well. She confessed she was pretty much scared to death at first. We went inside, kicked off the shoes and chilled. A few minutes later she asked if we could go for a longer ride tomorrow. I smiled knowing that now I know she's hooked, and said of course we can. Then we woke up this morning she was thinking about it and was asking questions. So I think we're on track for her to get over her fear. Just gotta take it slow and steady.

Back