What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pegs turned out nice, I might have to get a set of those myself. The crash bars alone simply do not come out far enough to be viable highway bars for me, the added 4-5 inches those pegs give would be perfect.

Did a little riding after work yesterday. Got to catch my sons soccer game and then went out to dinner afterwards with a bunch of family members. Nice evening till the rain came. Hit pretty hard on the ride hope. Lots of lightning too. Pretty warm for an October night in PA. I'm glad to be getting a little bit in before the season ends for me.

Went to a car and bike show today and took 2 place in both a cruiser class and a dyno hp run. Only lost to a zx10 he had me by 7 at 164 and I had 157hp but had a blast

Did my washer swap. Started the "running" bike on its jack standstill. Definitely gotta go through my carbs and replace half a fuel pump. Still waiting on my front wheel spacers to be made. I might have to go get my parts back and get one of you guys to make them for me.

I also put the side covers back on the project bike. Still chasing (well, more like wandering after) electrical issue that's keeping that one from starting with the push of a button. At least I have all the body work ready to go.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

Removed the seat and side covers, drained the tank to flush it out, fixing a rear turn signal light, just going through what ever I can waiting for the carbs to cleaned and rebuilt.

Put Progressive Springs in the front forks with 15w oil, replaced fork seals, flushed front brake lines.

Met up with my boss today. He had a small birthday ride. 7 of us got together for a little riding and dinner. Got rained on again. Poor bike looks like its been thru a war this week.

The clutch is not fully disengaging when the clutch lever is pulled. Have clutch master cylinder from Ninja, changed fluid and bled it out. Still not working right. Pulled the clutch apart, checked everything over, seems good except for the bearing which I changed and smoothed the surfaces on the clutch housings where they touch the clutch plates and discs. Put back together. It is better but still moves ahead when starting the engine. Will adjust the clutch lever next. Have to adjust the Fat Max fairing. Drove the bike from Canada to Sturgis and now to Mexico, the fairing does help a lot and gives about 15-20 kilometers more on each tank of gas. It would have been better if it was wider and with a taller windshield. I still receive a lot of violent air at head level. For the price I think would have went with Memphis Shades instead. Similar price and a lot more coverage.

Wow, you are a hardy-rider! I think I would have taken your other bike in the stable- the FJ1200. Much-more touring-oriented, more-comfortable, better gas mileage I bet, and just a more-pleasant ride for the long-haul.

It sounds like you have an incipient internally-bleeding master cylinder. Maybe time for a rebuild. It should develop a good resistance within about an inch of lever actuation, and it should release fully way-before the handlebar. Make-sure the small forward weep-hole in the master cyl 'floor' is clear, and stays-clear. Since it's small, almost anything can clog it. Have you been 'reverse-bleeding' it from the slave cyl bleeder nipple, pushing the fresh brake fluid upwards?

The clutch is not fully disengaging when the clutch lever is pulled. Have clutch master cylinder from Ninja, changed fluid and bled it out. Still not working right. Pulled the clutch apart, checked everything over, seems good except for the bearing which I changed and smoothed the surfaces on the clutch housings where they touch the clutch plates and discs. Put back together. It is better but still moves ahead when starting the engine. Will adjust the clutch lever next. Have to adjust the Fat Max fairing. Drove the bike from Canada to Sturgis and now to Mexico, the fairing does help a lot and gives about 15-20 kilometers more on each tank of gas. It would have been better if it was wider and with a taller windshield. I still receive a lot of violent air at head level. For the price I think would have went with Memphis Shades instead. Similar price and a lot more coverage.

Thanks for your help, I will check this out. I sold the FJ1200 when I was in Panama earlier this year. I found the FJ to handle a lot better but the VMax has always been my dream bike and you would not believe how popular it is here in Mexico. They just love it. Even my die-hard Harley friends in the Santa Muertes can´t resist checking it out whenever they see it. There are not too many here. I wish the VMax had a bigger tank, it can be a pain in the ass stopping so much.

I wish the VMax had a bigger tank, it can be a pain in the ass stopping so much.

I know your pain. Everyone I ride with gets at least 50 more miles to the tank, the fact I have to fill up right over 100 each tank has become a running joke.

Pulled all the broken stuff apart and started putting her back together. The "leaking" shift shaft was actually gas from the vent after the wreck. After cleaning it up and getting the load off it, it shifts fine with new controls. Insurance paid out nearly $3000 and I am fixing her back up. I expect the last pieces to arrive tomorrow and have it back out tomorrow evening!

We can help with the larger tank (though it requires our extended swingarm too). You may have used a master with a smaller bore which will require more lever travel and will need to be all the way out to get enough travel to disengage.

Sean

Spent a little time doing some measuring and note taking. Then it was off to take more tests.
This weekend, going to make a little something something. :)

Latest posts

Back